Caught these, cooked em, and ate em! (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
On the beach at Pointe de St Mathieu in Brittany yesterday ............. noticed the locals out on the beach at low water.....

So we joined them. Caught these Velvet swimming crabs and had them for supper with crusty bread, salted butter and white wine :D:D:D

P1260144.jpg
P1260151.jpg

Yum Yum! (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I like crab salad but I am not so keen on getting them whole.

Same with lobster, I feel bad when I see it on the plate.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Huge tides at the moment so a lot of folk out scrabbling in the shallows here to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Did you not find they broke your teeth when you bit into them , I find them too crunchy.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Haha, to be honest even though we had 10 between us we were still left a little hungry. They are a lot of work and very tasty but we probably won't rush out on today's tide for some more!

We did find some brown crabs but they were all below the minimum landing size. The velvet crabs mls is 6cm so only a mouthful of meat on each crab.

This was the first time we have ever caught crabs and we will certainly do it again when back in Scotland

Oh, we felt sorry for them at first but not after the first mouthful :)

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Actually my wife felt less sorry and more revengeful due to the nasty nip that these little critters can give (and she was wearing a chain mail glove!)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've seen them used in a sea food stew. Just cut in half and added to the prawns and bits of fish. I don't think you were meant to eat them, they were there just for added flavour I think.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The ones that my mate catches are all exported to Spain from Scotland ,he got bored with corporate life and decided to become a fisherman ,he mainly goes for lobsters , he's never looked back
I agree with dbk ,I think the small crabs are more for adding to the stock

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It's true to say they make more sense in a sea food stew, however they are also considered a delicacy in their own right. The meat is 'sweeter' than brown crabs and very tender..... but...... as I said a couple of posts back I don't think we will be rushing at it again :eek:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Cook 'em, remove scum from water as it forms, roughly chop 'em, Blitz 'em with some of the cooking water, run the result thro a sieve
add a tad of chicken stock, reheat, serve with buttered crusty bread, dash of tabasco if you are that way inclined, Creme frieche too?
Throw a few suction pads from Limpets in at the start, (and blitz etc) to bulk it out.
There is always a feed on the sea shore.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back