Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ciao

Here are a few routes to northern Italy. The mileages are pretty similar overall. I have used Calais as a starting point and Desenzano at the southern end of Lake Garda as the finish. There are various towns mentioned on the routes - these are merely seen on sign posts and as such, you pass most of them rather than going through the towns.

Option 1 - cheapest!

Calais - Dunkerque - Ostend - Brussels - Arlon - Luxembourg - Metz (re enter France) - A4 toll free for a few miles, then follow signs to Metz Aeroport and then Chateau Salins. On then via the D955 to Phalsbourg and pick up the A4 motorway for one junction to Saverne. This costs 1.10 Euro and saves a lot of time. Leave the motorway and head for Molsheim, Obernai, Selstat, Colmar and the Swiss border at Basle. The D955 is a good road, partial dual carriageway and I have used it humpteen times, both towing a car and not towing.

In Switzerland, Basle, Lucerne, St Gotthard Tunnel, Lugano, Chiasso and the Italian border.

From the Swiss/Italian border, toll free signed as Fino Monasco and then signed as Monza and Bergamo. Join the A4 motorway at Bergamo and leave at Brescia Est. Take the SS11 to Lake Garda south.

Option 2 - a compromise on tolls

Calais - Dunkerque - Ostend - Brussels - Arlon - Luxembourg - Metz - Strasbourg (tolls payable - about 7 euro) and then Colmar, Mulhouse and into Switzerland. At the Italian border follow signs for Milan and then Venice. Tolls in Italy about 15 euro.

Option 3 - no worry about toll cost

Calais - Reims - Strasbourg - Mulhouse - Basle - transit Switzerland - Italy - Milan and signs to Venice

Estimated French tolls - 45 euro, plus the Italian one.

There is another option, running via Luxembourg to Metz, then Nancy, Epinal and Thann, then to Basle. I have overnighted in Charmes on that route, but prefer overnighting at Obernai through personal choice.

Running via Luxembourg is a few miles longer but it toll free. The diesel is also amongst the cheapest in Europe.

I usually travel to Calais on day 1, and sleep at the ferry terminal.

Day 2 - about 370 miles - toll free (well apart from 1.10 euro) to the municipal campsite and Obernai - www.obernai.fr

Day 3 - about 370 miles to Garda. It is about 15 miles shorter running toll free from the Italian border to Garda than by using the motorway. "Newcomers" will find the motorway option the easiest though.

Russell

OP
OP
Rapide561

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Swiss toll

A Swiss vignette is pretty much unavoidable. This costs....

1) 40 SFR for vans weighing upto 3500 kg and valid for unlimited journeys for upto 14 months.

2) 32.50 SFR for vans weighing over 3500kg, permits 10 days worth of travel in a 12 month period.

Russell

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A Swiss vignette is pretty much unavoidable. This costs....
Russell

Ah, I wondered if you knew a way avoiding the toll roads.

Don't forget that the under 3.5t one is dated Jan to Jan or similar. Buy one for your August holiday and you'll need another for the following Easter.

OP
OP
Rapide561

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Routes to Garda

Hi

I have had a re read of the initial post and still think these are the best routes.

Note - I prefer to go Calais - Ostend - Brussels rather than the slightly shorter Calais - Lille - Brussels as the A25 to Lille is horrendous - the road surface is enough to shatter your best crockery.

I will add a new thread re the Swiss toll system

Russell

Note - the tolls mentioned in the initial post are now out dated. Also, TAG axles are often class 3 or 4 and as such, a lot more money.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back