pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
We have to park somewhere else as our landlord who I also work for has given me orders or else! after spending lots of money and time looking at vans we are devastated.:(
DSCF8096.JPG

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Look at a proper storage site. It will make your insurance cheaper as well as being safer than just parking on your drive.

You may even find you make a net saving.

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have to park ours away from home due to a lack of MH sized parking, we already have 2 cars on the drive and my mid life crisis in the garage, if you use somewhere with 24hr access it mitigates the inconvenience of not being able to just jump in the van on a Friday after work.

dave met

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 7, 2014
cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
What a right pain of a landlord, maybe storage is the answer,but when he says or els what does he mean,move out? Get the sack from work? Both?. Hope you get it sorted out

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I presume that you have a Tenancy Agreement that has been signed by you and your landlord ?

Dose it say anything in the Agreement anything about parking of vehicles or any vehicles that are not permitted ?

Are there any other similar vehicles ie. Motor Homes, Caravans, or Commercial type vehicles that are parked at properties near by ?

Usually the only person who can stipulate ie put a covenant on the parking of vehicles at a property, is the builder. Does the builder of your property own the house/Estate/Development ? Builders usually do this so that parking of this type of vehicles does not put off any potential buyers.

At the end of the day if the vehicle is not causing an obstruction then what is the problem.

Maybe you should speak to Citizens Advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
We have to park somewhere else as our landlord who I also work for has given me orders or else! after spending lots of money and time looking at vans we are devastated.:(View attachment 77421
This lot do storage in your area
Highfield Farm Caravan Park
Tunstall
Richmond
North Yorkshire (Browse area)
DL10 7QZ See Map
share.png

Tel: 01748 832587

Might Help short term

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I presume that you have a Tenancy Agreement that has been signed by you and your landlord ?

Dose it say anything in the Agreement anything about parking of vehicles or any vehicles that are not permitted ?

Are there any other similar vehicles ie. Motor Homes, Caravans, or Commercial type vehicles that are parked at properties near by ?

Usually the only person who can stipulate ie put a covenant on the parking of vehicles at a property, is the builder. Does the builder of your property own the house/Estate/Development ? Builders usually do this so that parking of this type of vehicles does not put off any potential buyers.

At the end of the day if the vehicle is not causing an obstruction then what is the problem.

Maybe you should speak to Citizens Advice.

The landlord can give notice that they will be terminating the tenancy at the end of the 6 months or give two months notice if the tenancy has become a periodic tenancy. I assume that is what they would do as the "or else".

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Does he think Queen Victoria is still on the throne?
He obviously expects you to tug the forelock and be grateful he allows you a few hours off on Christmas day!

Bloody farmers!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Perhaps the poster knows the old saying,"Never bite the hand that feeds you". The 60's have long gone when you could leave one job on a tuesday and start another wednesday,i would favour the storage route,THEN find another job in the future. Best of luck.
Tea Bag

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Does he think Queen Victoria is still on the throne?
He obviously expects you to tug the forelock and be grateful he allows you a few hours off on Christmas day!

Bloody farmers!

How can a farmer say your van looks a eyesore I have been in a lot of farmyards and they are usually full of old tat we would have disgarded 50 years ago

Deleted User
Jealousy makes people to nasty things unfortunately.

Feel for you but as others have said, your home and job are your life - parking in storage is not the end of the world (or your motorhome FUN!!!)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It would be good to know the EXACT reason for the 'ultimatum' ... I wonder if there is a covenant on the property which precludes the keeping of caravans (and thereby MHs) in FRONT of the property line.

Did you tell your 'boss/landlord' that you were getting a MH and would be parking it at home?

I empathise with you but you wouldn't be the first to fall foul of some 'restrictions' at home.

OP
OP
pigginchilli

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
WE have been here for 11 years with some problems , all comments make sence, we have no tenancy agreements, I have spoken to my neighbour who has no probs with the van, forgot to say my boss is master of local hunt so our van wont fit in!, not the right image ie not an range rover.:notworthy:

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Surely it would have been better to ask before parking . I could park on the front of our property but I don't think its fair on my neighbours so its storage for us

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with no tenancy agreement he cannot legally give you notice. likewise he cannot sack you because of the vehicle you drive. the law is on your side not his

Jan 31, 2013
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Chieftan
Exp
May I suggest you read up on the Landlords and Tenants act 1954, it can be found on the net. Lots of places on there where you can find out info. You will find that the law protects domestic tenants far more than it does commercial tenants.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
[. likewise he cannot sack you because of the vehicle you drive. the law is on your side not his[/QUOTE]

Not quite true. He can sack you whenever he likes. It would be then up to you to challenge the fairness of the dismissal at the Employment Tribunal. The Tribunal may well find in your favour, but by that time, of course, you would be without a job and, in what is probably a small community, your reputation as an employee would not be that great.
Unfair? I agree.
Probably best to find somewhere else to park the van.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
with no tenancy agreement he cannot legally give you notice. likewise he cannot sack you because of the vehicle you drive. the law is on your side not his

A tenancy agreement is assumed after a certain period so yes he can give notice.

You're right that he can't sack the OP because of their vehicle but there are 1001 legal ways of getting rid an employee any time you like with no comebacks.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We rent the land our van is on ( in front of our house) initially we had a licence for a month to park it there, now we have permission to park it full time paying a peppercorn rent ( nothing). We also rent a lot of land for ÂŁ50 a year for grazing / garden use. Our landlord is a large farming partnership and luckily they are very reasonable and accommodating.
The problem you have is that you don't have a proper agreement and it seems your landlord has got away with abusing his position and thinks he can do what he likes.
I would find secure storage for the van then look for new accommodation if you can.

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
I agree with (the big 1). Sounds like a bit of blackmail going on here. Being as he's your boss also. Sounds like the Lord of the manor telling the peasant what to do. As for the "or Else" As no tenancy agreement is in place, then get yourself a solicitor. Good luck.
(y)(y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Why create more bad feeling with your boss. Storage is the answer. We keep ours in a store with24/7 access for two reasons.
1. Three cars on the drive (currently 4 as one SORNED by son) so no room.
2. We don't want to advertise that we are away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back