External Silver Screen material (1 Viewer)

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Hi
Anyone know where I can buy the exterior silver screen material, Internet search I can only find the internal type from O'learys or Ebay etc
Thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would be interested too as have tried in the past. it is an aluminiumised nylon and have seen it used in other designs from coats to bike covers

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I too have searched and searched and found only internal stuff which I ended up buying and making a full set for our RV. I would like to get the external stuff though to make a set too. Be good if anyone knows where to get it from. Ollie over on RVOC uses the internal for external screens without any problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Any one got any idea if you can get a touch up spray or something of that ilk to repair them when the silver starts coming off???

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the only other solution I have seen is to buy an aluminised caravan cover for about £70 on ebay. cut the panels from that and laminate with microfibre wadding

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Any one got any idea if you can get a touch up spray or something of that ilk to repair them when the silver starts coming off???
aluminium paint?

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Could you post a link to save us all having to go through the same thing!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Have you tried CAK Tanks. I know they sell all the stuff to make your own internals but not sure about the external material.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I made my own with material bought on ebay, from a firm in Manchester. The material is black on the inside, silver the other, and is termed Ripstop, it has criss cross reinforcing but is quite light, and is not otherwise insulated with internal stuffing which makes it easy to store away.
I made a brown paper template laying it over the respective three sides of the screen and side windows, and a friend cut the material and stitched locally bought black edging material. Each top corner over the door has a vent to hold it in place. It was successful right from the start, and has been in use for 3 years. There is no screen misting and the screen cover will dry out fairly quickly after rain or heavy dew.
It looks totally professional and cost only £30 in materials, plus a box of wine to the friend. I could post a photo if anyone is interested.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
That's what Taylormade screens are made of,double layer plus padding and stitching. The silvering does come off a little with age and weathering if it IS the same stuff but it certainly did the job.
A bit bulkier than the brand silver screens though but does the same job.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
That's what Taylormade screens are made of,double layer plus padding and stitching. The silvering does come off a little with age and weathering if it IS the same stuff but it certainly did the job.
A bit bulkier than the brand silver screens though but does the same job.
There is no padding in my version, it's more lightweight and folds up tighter which I prefer. If we want further insulation we could use internals as well, but never bother since this meets our needs. Have not noticed any dimming of the silver in more than 3 years. Of course it is also useful in winter to stop icing of the screen in the mornings. We do have a cheap Lidl screen cover we can insert under to stop it sticking to the screen in extreme icing conditions, mostly for when parked on our drive.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
This question comes up from time to time, as I have said before, contact Taylormade or Silverscreens, they are quit happy to sell you some material, I know because I have bought it before!
Cheers, Dave(y)
ps, it is fairly expensive, but you know you are getting the correct stuff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back