Another Tracker Locate Renewal (Seems very high) (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The last year has flown by and that time is now upon us to renew the Tracker Locate subscription that was part of our new motorhome purchase last year. The trouble is they want what seems to be a lot of money although in short i am sure the benefits would out way the cost if stolen :)

1 Year £189
2 Year £229
3 Year £329
4 Year £409

Apparently those prices are only valid for this month (been told on the phone) , anyone have any experience with any other brand that is thatcham approved and cheaper?

For 4 years the £409 seems ok ish but still a lot of money to fork out, we are having a growler fitted in a couple of weeks but not sure if this is enough on its own to satisfy the insurance people given the price of the MH.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The last year has flown by and that time is now upon us to renew the Tracker Locate subscription that was part of our new motorhome purchase last year. The trouble is they want what seems to be a lot of money although in short i am sure the benefits would out way the cost if stolen :)

1 Year £189
2 Year £229
3 Year £329
4 Year £409

Apparently those prices are only valid for this month (been told on the phone) , anyone have any experience with any other brand that is thatcham approved and cheaper?

For 4 years the £409 seems ok ish but still a lot of money to fork out, we are having a growler fitted in a couple of weeks but not sure if this is enough on its own to satisfy the insurance people given the price of the MH.

Those prices seem about right. We have the Traffic Master one and from memory it's about the same. I think they are all round about those prices.

You will need to speak to your insurers about whether or not they will accept an alarm on it's own without a tracker. It will depend on the value of the van but even if they will accept it your premium will skyrocket. It will be cheaper in the long run to pay the £409.

Reactions: zac
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Those prices seem about right. We have the Traffic Master one and from memory it's about the same. I think they are all round about those prices.

You will need to speak to your insurers about whether or not they will accept an alarm on it's own without a tracker. It will depend on the value of the van but even if they will accept it your premium will skyrocket. It will be cheaper in the long run to pay the £409.

Might have to bite the bullet then, the cobra i had on the old mh came with an option for lifetime subscription for £300 which was very cheap but that seems to be non existent on these new ones.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
I`m new to trackers and not sure what difference it makes to insurance, but I have fitted a GPS tracker off Amazon for £22 I ring the sim card it sends a text straight back with its location, it has quite a few other things it does I.E you can connect to alarm, doors, fuel system etc but I just use it as a locator, there obvious a difference between mine and yours but not sure what it is.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
When my Tracker Locate came up for renewal I asked my insurer (MHF) and they said that with a tracker I would save a massive £15/year on my premium. The cost/benefit of the Tracker Locate didn't make sense for us but it depends on how you use your motorhome and where you keep it.
Bill

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I`m new to trackers and not sure what difference it makes to insurance, but I have fitted a GPS tracker off Amazon for £22 I ring the sim card it sends a text straight back with its location, it has quite a few other things it does I.E you can connect to alarm, doors, fuel system etc but I just use it as a locator, there obvious a difference between mine and yours but not sure what it is.

Complete waste of time and money for insurance purposes. Fine for your peace of mind but nothing more than that.

Depending on the value of your van the insurer may insist on a proper tracker being fitted. This will have to conform to either Thatcham Category 5 or 6 and be fitted by an approved installer.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
When my Tracker Locate came up for renewal I asked my insurer (MHF) and they said that with a tracker I would save a massive £15/year on my premium. The cost/benefit of the Tracker Locate didn't make sense for us but it depends on how you use your motorhome and where you keep it.
Bill

It depends on the van and it's value as well as the use and storage location. Over a certain value you don't get the option - no tracker, no insurance.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Mine insisted on a tracker probably due to it being new and above 50k but it was free as it was part of the deal when i brought it. will need to ring up insurance company as i wont be renewing with caravan guard as they were way more expensive than comfort but again that was also free for the year (same deal).

It is just a shame i cant get a lifetime sub as this annual sub just mounts up although i know why they do it

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
It depends on the van and it's value as well as the use and storage location. Over a certain value you don't get the option - no tracker, no insurance.
Yes I agree - it was mandatory when the MH was new but optional after 3 years.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have a tracker but not renewed the subs as they were getting expensive too,I informed the insurance that it wasn't being subscribed to and they accepted it, the van was 6 years old at the time though.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We have a tracker but not renewed the subs as they were getting expensive too,I informed the insurance that it wasn't being subscribed to and they accepted it, the van was 6 years old at the time though.

Just waiting on a call back from the insurance but as ours is only a year old i am expecting them to say it is needed. :(

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Comfort also want the tracker so looks like i dont have a choice, still they came back with a reasonable price of £340 inc breakdown (not sure if i need this on a new vehicle less than 3 years old as i think fiat cover it, will need to check).

Thanks for the assistance.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I would have one of the more expensive ones, that's what happens when they give you something for free. No such thing as a free lunch so to speak.

The cost to renew is not that bad if i get the 4 year option, i will be doing this tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have had two new vans over the last three years safeguard only insist on cat one alarm never had a Tracker both well over £50000 in value.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We have had two new vans over the last three years safeguard only insist on cat one alarm never had a Tracker both well over £50000 in value.

We are currently with Caravan Guard (provided free with purchase of MH) they required a tracker and comfort who we were with before also require a tracker. No idea why the ones we were with want one and safeguard don't, i will call them to see what they quote as that may be reflected in the price.

swidy

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
wakefield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
I have just had a quote from safeguard £365 for insurance and breakdown no trip length restrictions they accepted DIY tracker and factory fitted alarm My moho was only £25000 03 reg

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Requested a call back from safeguard but as yet they haven't called.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Wow just got a quote from Safeguard and they want a wopping £841, thats £500 more than comfort for the same cover and a £300 compulsory excess. That is shocking, i thought caravan guard were expensive at just over £500. They also want a Cat 1 alarm or Cat 5 tracker as over £48000 . Bugger that,

Even told them the quote from comfort and they just said ok thanks very much, goodbye lol.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

The call i just had with safeguard stated they needed either a cat 1 alarm or cat 5 tracker as over £48000, which is ok as i have one but not at that blinking price. Quoted £840

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The call i just had with safeguard stated they needed either a cat 1 alarm or cat 5 tracker as over £48000, which is ok as i have one but not at that blinking price. Quoted £840
We just have the cat 1 alarm from Vanbitz

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That is a lot I think ours was around £370 for anew Hymer Exsis

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Disgraceful that there is such a difference in price with the same features. As always it pays to shop around regardless of the effort involved as that amount of money can pay for a lot.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I suppose there would be some differences but not that would cost that much more unless you are under 21 and only been driving for a year!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
insurance is a very dark and guarded secret as to exactly how they the quoted cost. the biggest factor though is the postcode where it is habitually kept

last time i moved house, our insurances dropped by over 15%.

as for most trackers, they are easily and simply defeated by a readily and legally available jammer device

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I suppose there would be some differences but not that would cost that much more unless you are under 21 and only been driving for a year!
I wish i was under 21 lol, been driving for over 25 years and the cover was the same as comfort apart from comfort only had a £200 excess and not £300.

insurance is a very dark and guarded secret as to exactly how they the quoted cost. the biggest factor though is the postcode where it is habitually kept

last time i moved house, our insurances dropped by over 15%.

as for most trackers, they are easily and simply defeated by a readily and legally available jammer device

Cannot see why our postcode would put the cost up from one provider to another by £500, i can understand this going up a little but not this much, the tracker is no problem as it is already on the vehicle but without it they wouldnt even quote.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Just go a quote from my current insurers "CaravanGuard" to renew for the year and they have also come out at £860, i am now starting to think the quote from Comfort is not correct. I will need to check their policy as the price difference now on 2 well known insurers are way off the mark compared to comfort.

usually when something appears too good to be true it usually is, i hope i am wrong.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just go a quote from my current insurers "CaravanGuard" to renew for the year and they have also come out at £860, i am now starting to think the quote from Comfort is not correct. I will need to check their policy as the price difference now on 2 well known insurers are way off the mark compared to comfort.

usually when something appears too good to be true it usually is, i hope i am wrong.

I was with CaravanGuard previously until Comfort beat them by nearly £500 at the last renewal - £292 against £780. The cover from Comfort is actually better than I had before.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I was with CaravanGuard previously until Comfort beat them by nearly £500 at the last renewal - £292 against £780. The cover from Comfort is actually better than I had before.

I am just cautious as to why there is such a difference in price, usually i would expect a couple hundred quid but over £500 is a lot. Good to know i am not the only one though, just waiting for them to call back to ensure it covers everything. The comfort cover also included breakdown which i think i dont need as the van is only 1 year old. I think the fiat assist is for 3 years although for the sake of £50 it wouldnt be a problem as it is still £500 cheaper than the rest.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back