Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
What needs converting?
It looks like it's already a motorhome!:)

I expect with it being a Toyota it is incapable of breaking down!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
hi all. As we like a choice we have seen this one and I am wondering what your thoughts are on this. I like it providing @Terry could do a conversion on it.
And it's proper automatic!

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans-motorhomes/toyota-winnebagon/1134028944
Personally I wouldn't go down that route - it will be very thirsty having a V6 3L engine - we used to have an ex-ambulance with the same type of engine and if we got 13mpg we were lucky and that wouldn't have been anything like as heavy as this! I hate to think what the road tax and insurance would be!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hate to think what happens when you need any parts.. Even a windscreen..

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Ok, thank you. I guess what worries me is the weight we would have to play with on any van once the hoist, wheelchair, two people and two dogs are added....
What needs converting?
It looks like it's already a motorhome!:)

I expect with it being a Toyota it is incapable of breaking down!

Hoist, wider door and wet room. Which would mean getting rid of the dinette to make the door wider. Maybe LPG depending on cost.

Then there is this one

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/113839821/swift-royale-campervan.html

Again, thoughts please.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Does it have to be a coachbuilt? Just thinking there may be second hand mini buses for sale with wheelchair lifts already fitted. Not as spacious I know, but possibly a cheaper way of doing it and less chance of getting one with damp problems.

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
There are a whole load of vehicles available with lifts etc. It's almost exhausting with all the possibilities. We could do this, we could do that. You almost have so many different scenarios that it becomes confusing and overwhelming, so much so you end up doing nothing.
So no it doesn't HAVE to be coachbuilt, but these are out there now, and we want to do it now. Adventure before dementia, or frailty or whatever is around the corner. No more shilly shallying! :D

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
There are a whole load of vehicles available with lifts etc. It's almost exhausting with all the possibilities. We could do this, we could do that. You almost have so many different scenarios that it becomes confusing and overwhelming, so much so you end up doing nothing.
So no it doesn't HAVE to be coachbuilt, but these are out there now, and we want to do it now. Adventure before dementia, or frailty or whatever is around the corner. No more shilly shallying! :D

I sense your frustration, Whatever you choose will likely be a compromise, it was for us anyway.

What I would do if I was in your position (depending on your budget of course) is google disabled motorhome rental companies, give them a ring and see if they have any that they are likely to be selling on, as they must upgrade their stock fairly regular.

And it is end of season now so should be a good time to buy.(y)

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Tomorrow we head to Gloucester to look at the wheelchair adapted one we posted about last week. Noticed he's advertising a few more vans now, including a Hymer....I love Hymers. But hey....you can't have everything, right? My family have promised to let us get on with it now. No more babies popping out early!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I don't know your budget but I actually have the link that Steve @mitzimad has given saved already in my own watch list along with two others for a winter project myself and Paul are tossing around with :LOL:Thinking along the lines of 2/3rds living area and 1/3 rd horse box /pony box -our thoughts are campervan we may be stuck with until spring but Horsy thing may sell straight away Plus headroom for a horse :D

It may work out cheaper and better to do a purpose built van rather than start strengthening /altering a CB van--I have in the past bought and ripped out a damp CB van to alter it to my own preferred layout --The hard bit is finding a van suitable for your needs that will last you a good few years -
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Cat -What about a ex ambulance ?????????? Plenty of them about with the odd ones being auto --may have mega miles on the clock but maintained very well and once sorted can give years of relatively trouble free use
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
What about this? Broken Link Removed
plus auto (y)Forget about the front door ;)keep the tail lift (y) wider body

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Been in Gloucester all day looking at that adapted Talbot. Not for us. Too botched and the hoist was too rickety. It is a traveller site ( sort of) he's been there 70 years. Well the family has.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good that you have been to look , now gives you a good base what is value for money and what is just plain trouble. I have to admit a conversion on a well maintained vehicle sounds very interesting and you would have a vehicle tailored to what you want.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Been in Gloucester all day looking at that adapted Talbot. Not for us. Too botched and the hoist was too rickety. It is a traveller site ( sort of) he's been there 70 years. Well the family has.

He aint traveled far then :D

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
and this

Broken Link Removed

the chair access looks pretty robust, good low mileage base vehicle

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
this one looks absolutely ideal for a wheelchair accessible conversion
Broken Link Removed

actually, yeah, that looks like a very good starting place!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Would they have to pay vat (or claim it back?) being used for a disabled person.

Only asking, I have no idea :unsure:
only on a new vehicle or any adaptions can you get VAT zero rated (vat free)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back