Newbie question where does your dog travel (1 Viewer)

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Newbie query - From a safety aspect was just wondering where does your dog sit whilst you are travelling??????. Do you put them in a crate, tie them up or just let them decide where they want to be. On our first trip we were not sure where to put Tweed, ended up with his bed on the floor between the 2 cabs seats, he settled down well so think this will be his place.
Elaine

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Put the cage behind passenger front seat, fits a treat after we removed the big dining table in the Rapido. Dog should always be secured in some way or other.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have two cages one on seat behind driver and one on floor behind passenger then leaves room to walk through.
Important to make sure they are safe also on continent you are supposed to have animals restrained so they do not get into drivers space.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Jamie travels happily in his cage which fits snug just behind the front seats where he can see us (and periodically complain!). He sleeps there at night too; the cage just goes up on the bed during the day when we're not travelling.

Wouldn't dream of travelling with an unrestrained pet.

Bazzermc

Free Member
Feb 7, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I'm a newbie
I put in a couple of floor anchors, we attach our 2 dogs to them using harnesses.
Gives them enough room to move about and they can lie on the bench seats, but can't come into the cab.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our dogs are not 'restrained' as the racket of them complaining would mean we didn't go anywhere! They do, however, have beds underneath the dinette table behind the passenger seat, in the gap between the cab seats, and one of them loves the dinette seat with lots of cushions so she can get comfy. Our 2 smaller ones are often laid on my lap on a pillow - one snoozing and the other watching the world whizzing by as she's a right nosey little s*d. The 'snoozing' one also likes to have a kip in the rear on the fixed bed but she can't get up on to it now since we changed vans as it's higher than the previous one.

I know some will say that we should secure them but this is what we do, each owner has to decide for themselves what is 'acceptable' for their situation.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Our two lay on a dog bed under the dinette table, leashes attached to the table leg..

At night they sleep in the floor of the cab... sometimes Mylo sleeps down in the drivers footwell ..

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
We had our two in a cage that was secured to the Moho table, but the noise the cage made while on the move did my head in ;(
So now they travel with there harnesses on, them being secured to the table post. The dogs just lie on the floor happy as Larry now.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours travel in harnesses attached one to the seatbelt loop and one to the table.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I know some will say that we should secure them but this is what we do, each owner has to decide for themselves what is 'acceptable' for their situation.

I believe that there are a few countries in Europe where the law says they can't travel unsecured.

Can't remember what countries though. Anyone?

OP
OP
Tweedie

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Must admit I did feel a bit uncomfortable with having him loose as he always travels in a cage in the car, think we will put his harness on and see where best to secure him. As long as he can see us he travels really well, usually lies flat out on his back upside down, legs in the air, thats Border Terriers for you!!!!.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I believe that there are a few countries in Europe where the law says they can't travel unsecured.

Can't remember what countries though. Anyone?

Spain they have to be restrained- I have a multiple seat belt fixings that allow him to have his own fixing point. He is still in the front with me though. Normally sits behind my feet when travelling & occasionally moves to between the sets & occasionally into the aisle in the back.

Deleted User
Anchor points to bench, secured under to the floor solid fixing point then use carabiner through anchor point to a seat belt extender which our dogs harnesses clip into.

WP_20150928_15_45_35_Pro.jpg

We have just removed our bench but using same method with cushions on floor.

Lin :)

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
our two are chained to the rear of our seats. That is where they normally sleep anyway so they are quite happy about it. Flying dog in the event of an emergency stop does not bear thinking about. I think it is actually illegal for them to travel unrestrained though lots do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back