Road to Apple cross ( Bealach na Ba...Pass of the Cattle. ) (1 Viewer)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi folks.
Just got back from a great 3 week trip taking in the Northumbrian coast, the Highland Games at Bremar, visits to umpteen canals, and for me a return drive up this highland pass to Apple cross and back. It has been many a year since I last drove it in an Army landrover, somewhat more hair raising in Elle... Anyone else been that way? :whew:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
image.jpg
We did it last year 2 motor homes 6. 5 meter plus me towing trike on back another 3.5 meter interesting trip not difficult but veryslow going its single track but with lots of passing places don't forget to stop at to the pass for the view
Load up with everything there no shops for miles
When you get down other side don't turn left to applecross turn right 50 yards look left and park on grass right on side of beach
Watch for deer and stags we had them all round van
no pics with us but found this one from top of pass

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We had a meal in the pub at the top too, fantastic!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
We had a meal in the pub at the top too, fantastic!

Pub..never saw a pub!! ( Probably a good thing! ) After taking in the views from the top we headed back down. ( No intensions of driving to Applecross on this occasion ). Had a bit of a tricky few moments on the decent. Spotted a car parked in one of the wider passing places on the steepest bit, noted the two Chinese occupants away from the car taking selfies...as they do!. As we approached the next small passing place we came face to face with another motorhomer followed closely by two vans. It was not wide enough for the our two Moho's to pass and the other driver was looking rather white around the gills! Only one thing for it. Into reverse and back up the hill. No probs until we near the passing place with the parked car. Sound horn....great, you ever heard the horn tone on a 15 year old Decatto...Could have got a quicker reaction if I had farted!! Anyway, slowly, slowly, slipping the clutch, I continued with the other Moho and vans in hot pursuit. Fortuntatly, the parked driver saw what was about to happen to his car, scrambled in and shot off backwards just in time. The Moho driver, waved and shouted thanks looking rather relieved that it was me that reversed rather than him. I had just time to tell him it gets narrower and steeper before the top and to hear his "Oh Sh*t" comment as he went slowly past. The rest of the trip down was uneventful other than having to deal with idiot motorcyclists all trying to get to the bottom at break neck speeds.
Doubt I will do it again, long way round next time!!::bigsmile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
With knowing what it was like when we went up it in the Eunos I decided that once is enough, very brave going both ways though(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back