Checking a van before buying help (1 Viewer)

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, we have found a van that is a very very good price, too good to be true really. I have done a vehical registration check and it's not stolen and all checks out with no outstanding finance , is this all I need to do or are there other checks I need to do?

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Go and see the van , make sure they have the registration doc in their name and all the numbers are correct,ie vin no, engine no. If it checks out it SHOULD be ok. Good luck with it.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Be cautious it may have a fault or hidden problems .
I trust it's not an ebay scam and you've been to see it ,if not don't bother.
Get it checked out by someone in the know,on the positive side there are bargains to be had ,the owner may just need a quick sale.
Then again most owners know the value of their vehicle,and if a quick sale was needed would pitch it just under market value.
Be thorough and careful ,good luck.

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Be cautious it may have a fault or hidden problems .
I trust it's not an ebay scam and you've been to see it ,if not don't bother.
Get it checked out by someone in the know,on the positive side there are bargains to be had ,the owner may just need a quick sale.
Then again most owners know the value of their vehicle,and if a quick sale was needed would pitch it just under market value.
Be thorough and careful ,good luck.

Vlad
To be honest I think it's a scam as the price really is too good to be true , not on eBay but on gumtree but the advert has disappeared now!

Upvote 0

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Safer to buy from a dealer, might cost a bit more, but you'll have some comeback if anything goes wrong........

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well what do you make of this ?????

The campervan is already at the delivery company. The transport is free because i supposed to send the campervan to another buyer, then he told me that he doesn't have money to pay for it. He already paid the transport charges.
I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job ( I'm a surgeon ) so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my campervan over the Internet. According with the eBay you have 3 days from the time you receive the campervan to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
Here is how it will work:
1. First of all I will need the following details from you:
-Full name and delivery address.
2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both more informations about how we can complete this transaction. They will contact you regarding the delivery process and the arrival time.
4. Once payment is made (bank transfer) eBay will start the delivery process and it will take up to 48 hours for you to receive the campervan. After you receive the campervan you will have 3 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to it. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment through eBay.
5. If you decide not to buy the campervan, then eBay will send it back to me (and you won't be charged for this). If you wish to make the transaction, please send me your complete name and address so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you.

Upvote 0

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008

The campervan is already at the delivery company. The transport is free because i supposed to send the campervan to another buyer, then he told me that he doesn't have money to pay for it. He already paid the transport charges.
I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job ( I'm a surgeon ) so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my campervan over the Internet. According with the eBay you have 3 days from the time you receive the campervan to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
3. After they will process your info, they will send us both more informations about how we can complete this transaction. They will contact you regarding the delivery process and the arrival time.
4. Once payment is made (bank transfer) eBay will start the delivery process and it will take up to 48 hours for you to receive the campervan. After you receive the campervan you will have 3 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to it. If you will buy, then I will receive the payment through eBay.
5. If you decide not to buy the campervan, then eBay will send it back to me (and you won't be charged for this). If you wish to make the transaction, please send me your complete name and address so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you.

As far as I am concerned Ebay do not work like that, they do not get involved, you have no protection from Ebay with vehicles, it is a scam IMHO. (y)

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
How it works is you and a dozen others transfer some money into an account which is then emptied and closed without the mh ever being in the possession of the scammer'

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
We won't but I almost got suckered in with the story about husband cheating on her and divorce and the van was his baby so she just wanted to get rid asap !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
How it works is you and a dozen others transfer some money into an account which is then emptied and closed without the mh ever being in the possession of the scammer'
Makes sense, I wouldn't have done anything without calling ebay to check that it was legit! But if I'm honest it was always too good to be true and my first contact was " how much is the van as I think the wrong price is on it " !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
You send a bank transfer, no motorhome turns up, you cannot get your money back :mad:.
You send them your money (no.4) and there is no van... simplez...
The original email said no money was handed over until we had the van and had decided to keep it

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
The original email said no money was handed over until we had the van and had decided to keep it
No.4 in the email says bank transfer - the scam is you think the money is going into escrow with eBay when in fact you'd have just paid the scammer.
Ebay don't do an escrow service

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diane1969

Diane1969

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
to be caught by this very common scam, a buyer needs to be gulibble or greedy
We were interested as it was the layout we were looking g for and only 45 mins away from us and thought it was an error on the price so emailed to get price from them

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
S C A M !!! Leave well alone, or you will lose a lot of money! Any genuine seller would welcome people to crawl all over a MH, and not hide anything. They would have all the paperwork, and receipts.
If all is satisfactory with buyer and seller then money will change hands, and the seller will release the MH when the money is safely in their bank.
I would never, ever, part with any money until I had seen and verified any vehicle.

Craig

Upvote 0

pug907

Free Member
Sep 23, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
A friend of mine fell for the same scam :(. He was given an ebay link, by the guy on Gumtree, which was very convincing, along with a paypal button etc etc. He paid his £5500 and surprise, surprise, he lost the lot.
He's usually very cautious, being a successful business man, but on this occasion, his heart ruled his head. I've seen at least 5 scams on ebay this week. All the users have zero feedback(huge alarm bells) and price is given as £59,00, to get your attention but in ad is £5900, for a 2006 MH?? Really??

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
One more thing, just because the number plate checks out, and comes back with a not stolen history, doesn't mean it belongs to the 'seller' on Gumtree.
Only last week I saw an ad on Gumtree selling an RV, it looked familiar, so I trawled through my latest searches and found the original advert. It was the same photos, with a slightly different script, but £10,000 cheaper than the original. The number would have checked out as not stolen, it wasn't, but the photos were. I informed Gumtree, and the ad vanished. They appear all the time, be careful, and check before parting with any money at all. Not even a deposit!

Craig

Upvote 0

Deleted User

Did the photos of the vehicle by any chance contain a contact email address.
I have noticed a lot of vehicles on Gumtree that are scams and follow the same format. The vehicle is greatly under priced and usually the only means of contact is via email. I enquired about a van a few weeks ago and got a similar reply to the one you got including the fact that the previous intended buyer had already paid for delivery costs and the seller was also a doctor.
Gumtree is totally littered with scams, I reported 5 to them yesterday. They don't seem to be putting much effort into filtering them out as a lot of scam ads are being posted back on Gumtree quite soon after they have been removed.

Upvote 0

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008

[QUOTE="Diane1969,4. Once payment is made (bank transfer) eBay will start the delivery process and it will take up to 48 hours for you to receive the campervan. [/QUOTE]

I am sure that you know it is a scam by now, the quote above says all I need to know.

PLEASE, PLEASE, Do not be tempted with this scam.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Please don't part with any money till you have laid hands on to any MoHo your interested in, visited the vehicle at it's registered address (unless at a dealers premises), never mind number plates (£20.00 on eBay ) check chassis numbers, engine numbers, it's a minefield out there and you don't know where the safe path through it is. (n)

Good luck with your search (y)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back