Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years
OK then, how many of us were outside Aldi at 9am this morning banging on the door for our portable satellite systems!?:ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
I couldn't make it as i was away golfing so Wife got her friend to go in she arrived at 8 45 to a large queue when it opened everyone ran up the aisle but she had noticed they where all at the till so got one but she said 1 person was removed from the shop by the manager for just about fighting with an other customer. (must have been a caravan owner ::bigsmile:)

Gerry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
I couldn't make it as i was away golfing so Wife got her friend to go in she arrived at 8 45 to a large queue when it opened everyone ran up the aisle but she had noticed they where all at the till so got one but she said 1 person was removed from the shop by the manager for just about fighting with an other customer. (must have been a caravan owner ::bigsmile:)

Gerry

thats what they do at our store but once a decent queue has built up outside they go out and give raffle tickets to the first X in the queue depending how many of the product they have. 30 items = 30 tickets.

that way those who have queued the longest get the product:thumb:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Plenty left at our local store at lunchtime. There again our local Discover outlet has the same sort of kit in for £59 :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ruddy

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Haverhill,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
> 1yr
I wandered in to my local Aldi store at around 1pm, browsed around for a while, then leasurely made my way up to........My mate who's the manager, And walked out with one from "out the back" :ROFLMAO:

Going away for the weekend and taking it with me, I'll let you know what it's like on Monday. (unless i've taken it back :RollEyes:)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Yes have seen the raffle ticket system being used at some sales but Aldi didnt do that might have to start it though to save a punch up::bigsmile:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Sad I know, but we were there at 8.30 a.m. along with Upmarkethippy.

Both bought, but not yet set up, has anyone got theres working yet?

Nigel and Pamala

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Are they so much better than the maplin system?

Link Removed

Last edited:

Bertiebootlace

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
Camper
Exp
30 Years +
Hi All this is my first post on the site so be gentle !
I bought one about a year ago from Aldi and it drove me mad trying to set it up but can now get it up and running in about 5mins.They work very well and you can get loads of channels, most of which are not worth watching.
I use mine attached to the top of a strong camera tripod and strap it down if it is windy,also the dish has to be vertical, otherwise I find it does not pick up a signal.
Look on www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk there is loads of info on there and also freesat - Home which lists all the channels you can get.
The best advice I can give is persevere with it at first and it will become a piece of cake to do.

Bertie

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Tv & satellite

Bought one yesterday from ALDI.
Getting very frustated trying to set the thing up.
No luck yet.

Getting a good signal but no Quality.

Pete

Ruddy

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Haverhill,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
> 1yr
Are they so much better than the maplin system?

Link Removed

Maplins are £25 more, and they dont come with the sat finder.

Got mine up and running in about 30 mins (although mostly german:Doh:)
Once one the right sat, It worked very well.

Ruddy

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Haverhill,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
> 1yr
Bought one yesterday from ALDI.
Getting very frustated trying to set the thing up.
No luck yet.

Getting a good signal but no Quality.

Pete

Dispite what the destructions say, Get a good signal (mine was 72 %) then pick your sat's to scan, then just scan, the quality will show up as its scanning.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Dispite what the destructions say, Get a good signal (mine was 72 %) then pick your sat's to scan, then just scan, the quality will show up as its scanning.

looks like your getting the hang of it don't think you have the right satelite though?

sat finder where you are enter your postcode Link Removed

Regards

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
looks like your getting the hang of it don't think you have the right satelite though?

Regards

i have to agree....

tried to set mine at newark and even though the strength was very good i couldnt get a picture.

for unknown reasons the sat box settings had changed to Hotbird (i think)
the sat finder could 'see' the astra satellite but as the box was set to recieve Hotbird it didnt know what it was supposed to do.

took about half an hour and a full retune to sort it.

bonus was, i found loads of new, to me, channels after rescanning:thumb:

Ruddy

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Haverhill,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
> 1yr
Maplins are £25 more, and they dont come with the sat finder.

Got mine up and running in about 30 mins (although mostly german:Doh:)
Once one the right sat, It worked very well.

Regards

Once I was on the right one (as above) the signal was 72% with 0 quality until I scanned.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
OK then, how many of us were outside Aldi at 9am this morning banging on the door for our portable satellite systems!?:ROFLMAO:

Was in ALDI Carlisle on Saturday & they had plenty left. Not much good if you live in Cornwall I suppose. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Once I was on the right one (as above) the signal was 72% with 0 quality until I scanned.

In my instructions it say's do not scan until you have a reading in the Quality box.

Pete

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
aldi sat system

hope they are better than maplins we still can t get a picture with ours even friends who have them have tried but no good less than bloody useless

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I've had my setup for a year now basically the same as the aldi one, it can be frustrating when you first have a go ;but you do acquire the knack.

If the meter supplied is the one i think it is , you may be making a simple mistake.

roughly line the dish SSE

connect the meter in line and set to max sensitivity

move the dish to get max deflection

reduce the sensitivity then gently move the dish to get max deflection again

repeat this until you cant make any improvement of deflection

once locked on you will get max signal and quality

If i scan i will set it to scan all satellites simply because it will pick up others you may like. It takes a while since there are loads of channels to see ;but i simply add the ones i like to a favorite section,

Pappajohn.

your setting may not have changed could be when you scanned it scanned all channels like i do. There is an option to view the different satellites and their stations , maybe it was on hotbird and all you needed to do was change to astra.

Like i said john make a favorite section::bigsmile:

Hope this helps

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks Sinbad1

I will try setting it again this morning.

Pete (High Peak)

dpick

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
Middlesbrough
Funster No
Hi I have had one of these aldi type systems for a couple of years found that with the supplied receiver I could not tell which sattellite I was on so started to use old sky receiver and sat finder now able to be watching tele in about 5 min. The only real problem I have now is when it rains on a solid dish and water collects and blocks signel until I wipe the water off.

dpick1947

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back