calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Is this a DIY job or something best left to a professional? I ask because my hubby is not really very good at mending things (by his own admission!) but have been quoted over £100 to do the job :eek: which seems quite a lot. Obviously it needs doing properly, but how difficult is it? We don't have any ladders and am unsure how strong the roof is, ie would it be ok to lie on? If its ok to get on roof, what is the best make of sealant to buy? How long does it take to "go off" etc? Thanks in anticipation of your help(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's not a hard job, in fact it can be done from inside the van without going on the roof..

The proper sealant is a non setting mastic.. adhesives such as Sikaflex and silicone bathroom sealer should not be used..
the most common used is Carafax IDL 99 .. or you can buy mastic sealer on a roll, less messy and easier to apply.

£100 is not over the top.. it's a two hour job , (including tea break :LOL:) ..

If he's not sure, or unhappy about tackling, then I would have it done professionally .

If he wants to DIY then we can give a step by step instruction

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
calion

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Well that didn't take him long! The mastic tape seems to be a good idea, not so gooey and messy to use!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
OP
OP
calion

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for all this. Hopefully the roof hasn't gone rotten, it is stained a bit though :(
I don't know if our roof has wooden battens in it as its fibreglass? It certainly doesn't have any seams, looks like one big piece

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back