Cheap 12v over blanket's anygood? (1 Viewer)

kevo

Free Member
Apr 17, 2009
Funster No
Saw a 12v blanket today for about £8 any one tried them do they require much power -
Scared I might end up with a flat battery :Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
do they require much power -
Scared I might end up with a flat battery :Doh:
they do and you will. Any heating applience will consume a lot of amps, if it does not it will not heat. If you are on hookup use a mains blanket, better still just add an extra high tog quilt.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
they do and you will. Any heating applience will consume a lot of amps, if it does not it will not heat. If you are on hookup use a mains blanket, better still just add an extra high tog quilt.

Ha Ha, nice red hot womans the answer:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
big dogs keep you warmer, what am I saying dogs are not allowed on the bed under any circumstances!!!!!!!!

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
big dogs keep you warmer, what am I saying dogs are not allowed on the bed under any circumstances!!!!!!!!

Same here Roger, but sometimes they sneak up when we're not around, well one does - the look on her face when I go in and see her is priceless :ROFLMAO:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Depends waht you call batteries, a factory built european motorhome might have a single 85 or 110 ah battery, but someone who camps off grid a lot might have 4 or 5 110 amp hour batteries.

also different lecky blankets pull different powers, some have thermostats, some dont.

i know someone in america who suffers from some freezing feet problem, and he uses a 12 volt blanket, his pulls 4 amps and is on a thermostat, his battery bank is around 500AH, so that's absolutely nothing to it,

Just depends what you want to do with the blanket, just warming a cold bed up before getting in, fine, (tho i must admit a dog is a lot better at that... a collie sized dog puts out around 100 watts of heat apparantly)

but if you wanted to use the blanket instead of heating, and keep it on all night, you better have a big battery bank and a way to recharge it fast the next day.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
A 48 watt electric blankets for 8 hours will take around 32 A/H out of the battery bank.

Because batteries aren't 100% efficient, it means about 35 A/H to recharge it.
More with older batteries.

That's a fair bit of recharging each day; even that 500 A/H battery bank will struggle to last a week without charging unless the owner is happy to go below 50% capacity..

Anyhow, a 35 A/H withdrawal from the battery isn't too bad if one has 200 A/H worth of storage batteries and at least an hours driving the next day.
A longer drive would be better as getting the last 20% into a battery takes a fair time.

Perhaps a wind generator and a windycampsite would do the business if one isn't going to move a fair distance the next day.

Seems a lot of bother compared with a couple of hot water bottles, bedsocks and some fleecy jim-jams, if the small dog is out.

OP
OP
K

kevo

Free Member
Apr 17, 2009
Funster No
I got the picture!-- O - by the way ,I is very much a bloke. not a very well one today either just got up with a thick ead! to much enjoying myself last night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back