I think it's going to be one of *those* days... (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
So...there were a couple of really heavy rain showers last night (not forecast by the BBC website....no surprise there) and I'd left my sun canopy/mini-awning wound out. Went for a shower this morning...didn't notice until I returned that the canopy was sagging due to a sizeable pool of water (n)

"Oh dear" I say to myself "let's clear this by pushing the canopy from underneath and forwards, so the water empties over the front (y)

Well...about 50% of the water went over the front...

...and 50% went over the side and all over me :eek::(

I think I'll go back to bed. Is it too late in the morning to do that? :oops:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
1; Take large electric drill
2 Remove any footware
3 Try to stand in large puddle
4 locate deepest bulge in canopy
5 drill deepest bulge in canopy

you will never have another problem(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Think yourself lucky regarding the awning - I hope you can take info from this short story and make good for yourself in the future:
Last year we did the same while on a campsite, and part of the wind out retractable leg collapsed with the weight of the water on the awning, and always said after that "never leave it fully out if we ever go off for the day or even overnight" No Damage done - it all wound back in an was unscathed of any damage !
While chilling out by Lake Bled in Slovenia a couple of weeks ago we decided to hire some bikes and go off on a 12km cycle trek - the weather was gorgeous - sun was blazing out - just a vest an shorts on - Then all of a sudden the heavens opened up, The Mother of all thunderstorms turned up, at the time we took shelter at a pizza place out in the woods an had a bite to eat - completely forgetting we had left the awning out fully on the PVC while it was on the camp site - we hurried back (12km in the pouring down rain) people under shelters looking at us like we were barmy, anyway by the time we had got back to the van the rain had also hit the campsite and our brand new awning which was less than 12 months old and cost £815 was completely destroyed, the one side was on the floor due to the retractable arms that collapsed into the housing had buckled and bent under the weight of the water, part of the casting that held the joints together had snapped in half, one of the legs had broken off, the outer casing was buckled and the canvas had rips in it, I was gobsmacked to see how much damage had been done to it, luckily the van itself was untouched but the awning is scrap, i managed to get everything that was still attached back into the cassette housing and cable tied it up at both ends - a very expensive lesson learned !

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
image.jpeg
Whenever I put the wind out awning up I lower one leg approximately 6" to 12" lower than the other depending on light or heavy rain due. I alway lower the leg to the rear of the MH due to needing clearance at the front side for the habitation door, it also means that in heavy rainfall you are not directing excessive water towards the front of your van and wheels (front wheel drive). Using a centre rafter together with the leg lowered at the back of the van gives a natural fall for the water to run off the back corner, preventing pooling in the canopy.I also fit a couple of storm guys at the corners for extra stability in light wind. If the wind seems to be getting to strong I alway put the awning away, as they are just not built to withstand heavy gusts.
Getting in to this routine means you never forget to lower the leg and come unstuck if you're out for the day.
If anyone needs further evidence that this works, next time you have your awning out and it is set level when it begins to rain, just drop 1 leg 6-12" and see what happens.
I appreciate there will be a good few funsters who do actually do this as a matter of course, but if this post saves just one of you who don't from losing your awning as the poster above then it's worth putting this little tip out in the open.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a good friend of ours, a lady of ample proportions, had a mishap with her awning the morning after her husbands retirement party. We had all been partying into the night and were all the worse for drink when we fell into our beds. the tidying up could wait till the morning.
anyway, at first light her dog decided it needed outside for a wee. so with a groggy head out sue went to accompany the dog, still dressed in her nightie. standing watching the dog she was vaguely aware the awning was sagging. so absent mindedly she picked up a broom and pushed under the obvious puddle. Well, lets say the scream as she got her early morning shower al'fresco woke every other person for 1/2 a mile, let alone the group of caravans and motorhomes in the field we were in. out we all rushed not knowing what to expect, and there she stood, all modesty gone and soaked to the skin.
a super hang over cure apparently:rofl:

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Whenever I put the wind out awning up I lower one leg approximately 6" to 12" lower than the other depending on light or heavy rain due. I alway lower the leg to the rear of the MH due to needing clearance at the front side for the habitation door, it also means that in heavy rainfall you are not directing excessive water towards the front of your van and wheels (front wheel drive).

My sun canopy is legless, but your mention of storm straps reminds me that I need to get some. I suppose I could use those to tilt the canopy :think:

...and our brand new awning which was less than 12 months old and cost £815 was completely destroyed, the one side was on the floor due to the retractable arms that collapsed into the housing had buckled and bent under the weight of the water, part of the casting that held the joints together had snapped in half, one of the legs had broken off, the outer casing was buckled and the canvas had rips in it, I was gobsmacked to see how much damage had been done to it, luckily the van itself was untouched but the awning is scrap, i managed to get everything that was still attached back into the cassette housing and cable tied it up at both ends - a very expensive lesson learned !

Ouch! :oops2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back