Learning German Language - Any good resources out there? (2 Viewers)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I've signed up for a German language evening class at my local college, as my current mastery of the language is limited to what I read in Commando war stories as a kid. Great if you're in an artillery bombardment but hopeless if you're at a ticket office.

I already have a feeling that the course's teaching style won't best suit me but I want to stick with it so I can have the chance to interact with others. However, quite a few of the other students have done some German at school in the past so I need to catch up on the basics.

I've got a free phone app called Vocabulary Trainer, which on first impression seems alright, but I'm not mad keen on staring at a tiny mobile screen for very long so I'd only use it in the odd spare moment.

I'd be interested to know of any other resources that you've found useful, particularly any free websites that have good audio-visual material (as opposed to just lists of grammar and vocabulary) and/or interactive exercises for learning the German language.

Danke schön.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I learned what German I had, when I lived there, from a Linguaphone course!

Don't even know if they are still going.

I have used Rosette Stone for my Spanish and it's pretty good.

It's like anything else, once you start, you have to see it through, which is easier said than done.

Bitte Schon.

:cooler:

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I'm subscribing to Babel to try to learn a bit of Portuguese. I like the Babel style of teaching. If you go to their web site, you can have a go and see if you like it before subscribing.
I am lucky enough to be fluent in German - and would say that the learning of German can be a long, hard slog. It's grammatically quite complex for a native English speaker, so you'll have to put in a lot of work to begin with. Spanish and French are much easier by comparison.
It's well worthwhile persevering with any language, though. It just brings a whole new perspective to your travels.
Good luck!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there used to be a bbc course learning german .it was called when in germany....
my kids found it useful. it had a book and a cassette . it accompanied a bbc tv series about learning german .
i know my eldest took evening classes at our local collegue has he was late starting german at school .
he need special permission to take the evening course . but he spent lots time with the book and the cassettte and with the schhol teachings he got highest mark on his o level german .
i really only speak car parts . not good for conversation . but my lad was brill.
if you get stuck give a pm . i can send the kit . would like it back but if you want to borrow it give a shout. inne spracken bichen duetch . bremmsen . hauspouf . kupplung , kupplung hanger . litch machine . spelling might be wrong .
i speak better arabic . that one is a great one to learn .

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I learned what German I had, when I lived there

Bet it was your oath of allegiance mate!! I had you all wrong, you signed the German one.......(y)

"Ich schwöre bei Gott diesen heiligen Eid, daß ich dem Führer des Deutschen Reiches und Volkes Adolf Hitler, dem Oberbefehlshaber der Wehrmacht, unbedingten Gehorsam leisten und als tapferer Soldat bereit sein will, jederzeit für diesen Eid mein Leben einzusetzen."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You really are a Dick Head!:RollEyes:
Thanks.....I'm........flattered....:bro:

How much googling did you have to do to get that?

Actually, its written on my swastika flag, the one I got off a snotty nosed pimply kid in Wolverhampton. You know him, you went to his house. :)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
To be honest when we have been over there we had a good phrase book and that worked very well in breaking the ice, we then found most spoke excellent English and when you got to know them they were keen to practice their English and also helped with us learning German - the thing you do need more than anything is continual practice interacting with German speaking people. We have not been over now for 5 years and therefore we are very rusty. Found the southern Germans very pro English and great fun to be with.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
While i attended German language night class my ex gf, who speaks fluent kraut WITH a regional accent, went to Spanish class.
From day one the Spanish tutor would not speak English.
She actually learnt quite a bit of Spanish.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
i really only speak car parts
Ah ... can you confirm what this is please:

"flippenfloppenmuchenspreaden"​

My friend told me it was German for a windscreen wiper! :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

a shit spreader for the tractor(y)

seriously, every charity shop I have ever been in seems to have a set of teach yourself german. normally only a couple of quid and when done send them back

best place to learn german though is germany. i picked up more speaking with german friends than i ever did from books

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I went through a bunch of different courses when I was trying to learn French. The best one however that actually worked really quickly was the Michel Thomas ones. He has quite a unique style which is very effective and very easy. He also does a German one which may be worth a try.

There is no book, no writing stuff down or struggling to remember stuff. It concentrates on effective communication as quickly as possible and you find yourself building vocabulary very quickly at the same time as you learn how to use it. I was extremely impressed.

I tried the linguaphone and BBC courses at great expense and failed miserably with them.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you want to know more about the Michel Thomas method...

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Thanks for the info so far people - all very helpful.

Coming from a teaching background I fully understand that everyone has different learning styles, and I've already done year long courses in French and Italian, and a short one in Spanish (although I forgot most of that one). Of course its best to be in the country reading signs and notices and so on but that only happens for me when we holiday there, and I don't like relying on people to speak my language in their own country, however good they are at it. Hell, I even learned a few words of Dutch for our last trip there and they speak English better than most English do.

The difference with this course is I'm not working full-time any more so I actually have time to practice the language at home between lessons. If my experience at school is anything to go by I reckon ploughing through set exercises in a textbook will get me nowhere, and formal grammar is a complete non-starter, It needs to be a bit more varied and interactive, and include the sound of people speaking the words. I want to get beyond simple phrase book sentences, and most importantly I need to be able to ask about items I'm buying and haggle over prices!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

der sceibenwischer is windscreen wiper.
but the best book i have is a oxford duden pictorial german & english dictionary.
started with a french one , helped alot for in france . the german one followed ,cost 12 quid in 92.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

That's not far from the truth. Some German technical terms are literally made up of words joined together to describe the whole and end up ludicrously long by our norms. So the German for a gyroscope translated is something like "bit-of-metal-which-spins-around-an-axis" and takes up two lines. In a tank repair workshop staffed by Germans which I knew the locals soon ditched the proper term and called it a gyroscope. They still use gyro to describe kebabs I think.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
While i attended German language night class my ex gf, who speaks fluent kraut WITH a regional accent, went to Spanish class.
From day one the Spanish tutor would not speak English.
She actually learnt quite a bit of Spanish.
All like that around here & it is rare to find one that Actually speaks English. We learnt in Spanish only. The children attending to learn English were taught by UK English teachers who rarely spoke Spanish.

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
That's not far from the truth. Some German technical terms are literally made up of words joined together to describe the whole and end up ludicrously long by our norms. So the German for a gyroscope translated is something like "bit-of-metal-which-spins-around-an-axis" and takes up two lines. In a tank repair workshop staffed by Germans which I knew the locals soon ditched the proper term and called it a gyroscope. They still use gyro to describe kebabs I think.

Gyros or Gyro, is the Greek word for dish made of meat, cooked on a rotisserie.:)

It did look for a while that the Gyros was going to replace the Bratwurst as the street food in Germany, but fortunately it didn't and the Imbiss is alive and well.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Gawd help those of who who thought this was a 'serious' question!

"Flippen floppen muchen spreaden ... " in English would be:

Flipping and Flopping Muck Spreader!​

Shame it's not April Fools Day! :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back