Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Bit early but forearmed is forewarned. Subject to MIL's health we are crossing to France Dieppe ferry early December and driving down to Marjal guardamar. Is there a legal requirement for snow chains?

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Other than a legal requirement, it's always better to be safe as snow can catch you out at anytime and without them you could be in trouble in snow and ice on any road. Up to you but safety first at all times !!!!!!! Regards Flatpackchicken

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
In France you are not required to put the chains on, unless they put a sign : Chaînes obligatoires
Then, if you don't have them, you might be stopped any time by the Gendarmes and forced to park until there's no more snow, more specifically on a motorway , as there's no way to operate a U turn.
On a national road , if traffic and road state allow, you might be asked to make a U turn. THEY will decide for you. Plus..... you might be fined on spot if you get caught after the sign without your chains on!
While if you have the chains with you, you might have a little more weight to carry but at least you'll be able to go on with your trip.
Of course .... I am not talking about YOUR security!

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We haven't travelled at that time of year and wondered if it would be necessary, don't know if the snow will be so bad in early December, sounds like it may be so snow chains it is.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Done this route in early December every year, never needed snow chains, but I've seen some proper snow! I always find the toll roads are kept clear (same in Spain)

Never seen the signs that yodeli refers to though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
We haven't travelled at that time of year and wondered if it would be necessary, don't know if the snow will be so bad in early December, sounds like it may be so snow chains it is.

Yes ... You might find snow on your way down. It happens very often in December!! I would say 75% risk of finding some. :)

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Done this route in early December every year, never needed snow chains, but I've seen some proper snow! I always find the toll roads are kept clear (same in Spain)

Never seen the signs that yodeli refers to though

I have crossed the whole country in heavy snow.... going to Paris. No way to postpone the travel as my daughter was going to start a new job there, the next Monday , and we had to move all her things in her new flat! It was on a Saturday
It took me 4 hours to do 80 kms. No machine had been clearing the way, it was still night... and I seemed to be the one who was opening the way on the motorway! No car in sight , no wheels tracks .... amazing ! Never saw a sign either!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
@markh Here are the signs
Please Note that in some lost places in the mountains they make up a sign when necessary with just the words on it.
"Chaînes Obligatoires" OR "Equipement Obligatoire"

On the first pic they also say "Special tyres accepted"

Panneau chaines obligatoires.jpg
AUTRE chaines obligatoires.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think it depends on the route, we've certainly seen signs on some of the roads we've used recently saying that they must be carrier between certain dates (usually November to April) or have winter tyres fitted.

If you do go down the route of snow chains, check that they can actually be fitted to your MH as some base vehicles, such as some by Ford, can't use them as there isn't sufficient clearance once fitted for the wheel to turn left/right without snagging on the inside of the wheel arch, when we had our Chausson we had some snow socks instead.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
don't be tight and arm yourself with a set of half decent snow chains. Trust me, I had a set in my van used just once in 10 years of skiing. Then, bang, out of the blue got caught in the snow storm from hell and never had I needed them as I did. Everyone else pulling over on the side of the road crying as we pulled through. Yep, we were only in Kent.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
how about these,
Broken Link Removed

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We have done this route the last 2 years travelling down to south of Spain through France around the 20th December. Going down both times has been fine, 1st time we went toll roads and never came across any snow. Last year we avoided tolls and we came across a little whilst going through the pyranees on the way down. However on the way back we hit a ton of snow again through the pyranees. I did have chains with me but by the time it got really bad we were already on the way down on the otherside with no where to stop so just took it easy and used the "hill descent" option in our van. This was a life saver but i would definitely ensure you have chains or socks of some description. Take it easy and i am sure you will be fine, common sense normally prevails.

This year we are avoiding France altogether and going Portsmouth to Santander for the very reason stated above and it will save us 3 days approx. I dont get long over xmas before i go back to work so trying to maximize the time.

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
@hagnap not being tight, just didn't know if the snow could be so bad that time of December. We will be getting chains. Some very useful advice on here too. Unfortunately couldn't get a pet cabin on Santander so have to go Dieppe @zzzzac

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
how about these,
Broken Link Removed

Socks are ok but only really to get you out of trouble or to go a short distance. If you want to actually continue a journey then chains are the only way to go.

We have done this route the last 2 years travelling down to south of Spain through France around the 20th December. Going down both times has been fine, 1st time we went toll roads and never came across any snow. Last year we avoided tolls and we came across a little whilst going through the pyranees on the way down. However on the way back we hit a ton of snow again through the pyranees. I did have chains with me but by the time it got really bad we were already on the way down on the otherside with no where to stop so just took it easy and used the "hill descent" option in our van. This was a life saver but i would definitely ensure you have chains or socks of some description. Take it easy and i am sure you will be fine, common sense normally prevails.

This year we are avoiding France altogether and going Portsmouth to Santander for the very reason stated above and it will save us 3 days approx. I dont get long over xmas before i go back to work so trying to maximize the time.

Even that isn't any guarantee . Last year the Guardia were pulling people off before they'd even left Santander.
Anywhere down from Pamplona through Zaragoza & on to Teruel can have horrendous snow conditions. That's why all the stops along there have parking for hundreds of vehicles; for when the Guardia pull them all off the road.

Additionally Teruel can have some of the coldest winter weather in the whole of Spain ,even though it is 90 miles from the coast.From <November to march can often be well below zero.
As opposed to monday when I passed / it was a pleasant 34ºc :) Unlike July when going the other way & it was 45ºo_O

All that central area lives up to the " 9 months of winter & 3 months of hell " statement.:LOL:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
To carry chains is a cheap insurance policy, never know if you will need them.
Mine have been unused in a locker for five years but dont regret buying them.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Year before last, we went to Portugal Dec - March, via Calais LOL, we sailed on December 4th. Snow was horrific - though the main roads were clear, the sides of them weren't and the walls of the snow the ploughs had cleared were nearly as high as the motorhome ! The A16 - that goes from Calais to beyond Abbeville and thence on to Rouen - was actually closed on a few occasions - with traffic stuck on it - for days !

We were lucky to miss that .........

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Get the chains. I did not have them on coming back up from Toulouse about 3 years ago around Christmas, unexpected snow, being good next thing I knew I had done a 360 in my own length how i did not hit anything I have no idea. A definate thrupenny bit half a crown job. Even slower after that and made that promise we all make. Nothing worse than "I wish I'd...." and believe me I wished I had! Clive

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We are getting them, even though we may not get to go, at least we will have them for future. As someone said its extra insurance and possibly a life saver.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to re-iterate in case it was missed by some owners: some Ford based MHs CANNOT be fitted with snowchains of any sort due to lack of clearance in the wheel arches when fitted - don't let anyone tell you that you CAN use them if you have one of the 'restricted' Fords!

Also, I believe there is only one make of snow socks that are 'legal' as an alternative to snow chains in countries where snow chains are required - Autosocks:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a set of heavy duty Thule chains, never used them as yet.
But, when you get to the snow blocked road and the local police are stopping you if you don't have any, there will be an enterprising local selling third rate chains at 3 times the normal price.
So, don't worry.........

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Had my T2 chains for 5 years never been out of the case or the belly locker :LOL:I will be replacing the van soon I keep thinking about selling them but as soon as I sell them I bet we get heavy snow on our winter trip south.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
some very cheap genuine autosock's on ebay, half the price. i.e for my Autotrail which has 225*75*16 they can be had for £30 as opposed to £69 from approved resellers. Got to be worth it just for peace of mind and at that price :)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Carried chains for many years - take them out and check them every year oil them and rewrap them . Never needed them but would never get rid of them. Best insurance against snow I have ever had :rofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back