Dometic RMT 7651L oven keeps going out (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It seems to be a common problem with some Dometic ovens. The fact that the oven goes out if you don't get it well warmed up before closing the door is described as a "feature" rather than a fault in the manual.

Well, it sucks, and sometimes even waiting for it to warm up first doesn't work either for us which rather ruins its reliability as a device to heat food. :-(

If I watch it, after the door has been closed for a while, I can see the flame lifting away from the burner near the flame failure device and once that starts to happen it's only a matter of time before the gas cuts off.

Possibly related (or maybe not) out fridge/freezer/oven is NOT fitted with a flue through either the ceiling or wall behind the oven. Hard to tell from the installation manual whether this is an option or not. As the oven backs onto the wall with a wind-out awning I dare say a wall flue vent couldn't be fitted anyway.

Does the oven just need a service of some sort or is there a modification to prevent this annoyance? The only thing that does work reliably is to prop the oven door open about 5mm ajar at the base but I'm very aware that this isn't a long term solution.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Flame lifting off is normally shortage of air for combustion.

John.
Well I know that. ;-) But what's limiting it? The oven is clean and looks hardly used. No obvious crud around the burner. Reading other reports seem to indicate that the problem is very common.

Deleted User
Our oven does the same only had since June, but hadn't used the actual over just grill, we have been told it needs a replacement thermocouple and or a fan, so having to go back to dealer to sort!
Looking online though it is also the exact same symptom for lack of air, so we may have the same problem that's is lack of vents, we are at Brownhills on Tue so hopefully it will be sorted one way or another or we will be camping there until they get us a new oven :)

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
There was a similar thread on here recently and the OP took MH back to dealer as under warranty. The dealer apparently fitted a floor vent but told OP the oven had worked fine and tested ok, however the OP noticed the fresh sawdust under the oven where the vent had been fitted. This seems to be the remedy for the problem and seems the dealers/ manufacturers are keeping it close to their chests, probably because there are so many out there that have not had one fitted during manufacture.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My B584 2005 Hymer exhibits the same symptoms. Interestingly there's a knock-out on the back of the oven for a vent. The knock-out wasn't knocked out. And there are no outside vents.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the oven requires a floor and wall vent.. no reason it cannot be fitted on the awning side of the van

What kind of vents though? I already have two large rectangular "ventilation" vents in the wall top and bottom behind the fridge/oven.

Are you refering to the "chimney" type vent that also features in the manual?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What kind of vents though? I already have two large rectangular "ventilation" vents in the wall top and bottom behind the fridge/oven.

Are you refering to the "chimney" type vent that also features in the manual?

just had a look at the manual and it shows a chimney from the oven through the roof .. Is that fitted ?

am I looking at the correct appliance ?

Capture.PNG

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Possibly related (or maybe not) out fridge/freezer/oven is NOT fitted with a flue through either the ceiling or wall behind the oven. Hard to tell from the installation manual whether this is an option or not.

I have the same model TecTower as you. The oven can be vented either through the wall or the roof or into the void at the back of the fridge/freezer. In the latter case, it uses the top fridge vent as an 'exhaust'. It doesn't need an air intake into the oven itself - it uses the air in the van. Which is why it's a good idea to have a window or skylight open when cooking.

Ours uses the fridge void and works fine, although I do leave the oven door open for about 5 mins after lighting it as it has been known to go out in the early stages. After 5 mins it runs fine.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The closer I look at this oven the more puzzled I get.

Firstly, the only air inlet to the burner appears to be via the slim slots below the oven door. These get partially blocked by the door itself when it's closed which doesn't seem very smart. This would explain why propping the door open stops it going out perhaps.

Also, I'm darned if I can see any kind of exhaust vents anywhere. Apart from the hole around the burner in the floor the oven appears to be a sealed box with no slots, holes or other methods of venting. The only part of the oven that you can't see is behind a heat shield protecting the oven thermostat. I've peeked around the ends of it with a torch and mirror and had a gentle poke around with a feather to feel for any vent holes but there really don't seem to be any.

Some warm air does seem to be emitted from the grill above the oven but it takes a while before any comes out and I think this is sir heated by conduction from the oven rather than combustion gases.

Anyhow, as is the cussed nature of these things, it's behaving perfectly when I don't actually need it to today.

Whether it's related to the lower ambient temperature of Ayr compared to Lacanau or maybe the gas regulator behaving differently or maybe the fact that I'm testing it with an empty oven, I just don't know.

Any thoughts?

Deleted User
Well we have been at Brownhills to get our oven fixed yesterday. After many phone calls between myself, Auto Trail, Thetford and Brownhills. Brownhills agreed to speak directly with Thetford and another Motorhome dealership who had already diagnosed the fault but couldn't fit us in for a repair. And after much persuasion Brownhills greed that it would be non customer friendly to make us drive 400 mile round trip just so their own technical team could also look and diagnose a fault already diagnosed. And very reluctantly agreed they would order parts from Thetford and the fault could hopefully be rectified in one trip. Written confirmation that they would as per our rights only get the one opportunity to fix after that I would move to rejection and mention of trading standards may have helped.
Any way when we turned up yesterday morning the fab guys at Thetford had actually sent their own team and they fixed the oven, talked us through what the fault was how they had fixed. It was the circuit board which controls when the fan comes on, there were anomalies coping with the voltage causing it to shut down thinking it was overheating which it turn shuts the gas off. New modified board to cope with voltage variations fitted. Oven tested last night, dauphinoise potato and chicken cooked perfectly. Will continue to test over next few days.
Brownhills other than providing the location and a pitch had little to do with the fix and despite the dance they tried to make us do the customer service manager didn't even show her face!

Good luck with everyone else's ovens.

Lin :)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Quote:- Brownhills other than providing the location and a pitch had little to do with the fix and despite the dance they tried to make us do the customer service manager didn't even show her face!

Says it all really doesn't it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back