Help!! Autotrail Grande Frontier or not? (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi guys.

Sorry about this but please feel free to throw some suggestions regarding this issue I / we have!
I am rather passionate about the Grande frontier! I know they had a bad reputation from the beginning but..I just think they are just wonderful!
Now then...my issue is this..should I trade mine for it or not?
I have a choice of two. Both have 20k mileage, but one is 3k more than the other! Not sure why?
That aside, both are prepared to deal for the same 'Purchase price' I have in mind.
Now before folk go off and start slating them off because of their earlier problems..this is 10 years ago! Im assuming the issues they did have have all gone by now?
It comes down to the layout in side . I have not seen anything that looks any better to be honest. The external looks take some beating too.
Please feel free to abuse and confuse us even more than we are at the moment, but I put it it down to my tablets and Morphine patches , so as we can learn yet again from our peers ....guide us in the right direction if at all possible!
PS...My wife says she wants a Mohican! I always thought that was a Hair cut style!

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
My closest Pal bought one about four years ago, (against my advice) he bought it knowing they had issues but he was the perfect owner.

He's an engineer and whatever faults it had he fixed and has just Pt/Ex his under pressure from his Mrs for a change so if you end up buying his old one you'll get a good'un. I might add One of the Few Good ones. Beautiful inside.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Don't see why the earlier problems would have gone and their reputation speaks for itself, personally I would not have one simply based on hearsay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds to me if your mind is already made up and your seeking confirmation from members that your making the right decision. It will be impossible for member to make a sound judgement when they are unable to view the Autotrail and have no idea what-so-ever, what your trading in for it.
If your happy with your choice, go for it! Alternatively, get someone with good knowledge and ask them to make a comparison after viewing both vehicles.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
In case you don't have it the brochure for it attached.

Attachments

• 2006 - grand frontier.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 288
OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Thanks for the response guys. "Gellyneck" ..got it thank you.
" Philandmena "...Auto trail Cheyenne 630. It was our step on to the ladder to be honest. Having said that..My previous post regarding habitation issues have cost us a little bit so that has "persuaded us " to move onwards.
Thank again guys . As we said...abuse or confuse us even more! :sneaky:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds a bit like financial suicide to me, I would have thought if you were keen on an A Class a quality German van would make more sence.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Friends of ours purchased an 06 model in 08/09 solely on the layout. They ignored the bad press.
True, they had a couple of issues, both base chassis problems, which were rectified under warranty.

The one issue they did have was replacing the windscreen, which they lost in Spain, or maybe it was Italy, not sure. It was a gaffa tape repair until they returned to UK, and it was a six week wait for a new screen. So from this, do ensure you have unlimited glass replacement cover in your insurance.

Other than those issues it has given excellent service.

If its what you want, if it come with an insurance based warranty, I would say take it, could be a negotiating point, we had a three year one included when we purchased a Hymer, and could, and did claim on it, one a broken suspension spring, and at a later date, a replacement Electrobloc was needed. The value of these two claims by far exceeded the value of the insurance, which came with the purchase, so for us it was win, win.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Sounds a bit like financial suicide to me, I would have thought if you were keen on an A Class a quality German van would make more sence.
Hi there. The truck in mind is a Mercedes based with a Automatic gearbox and whilst I agree that it could have been a 'trip too far' regarding pennies due to the problems in the early days, surely that does not have any meaning now? I may be gullible here but that was 10 years ago. The cost originally would have been £70k which would have caused any one to have had a 'blue fit' if there were issues at the time. Hence the problems that had then. Surely now..that should be long forgotten? After all..10 years on and 2o k on the clock..does n 't that mean anything nowadays?

I am but a amoeba l. The world is far bigger than the pool I am in. I hope to be a big fish one day! lol
Thank you any way

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Friends of ours purchased an 06 model in 08/09 solely on the layout. They ignored the bad press.
True, they had a couple of issues, both base chassis problems, which were rectified under warranty.

The one issue they did have was replacing the windscreen, which they lost in Spain, or maybe it was Italy, not sure. It was a gaffa tape repair until they returned to UK, and it was a six week wait for a new screen. So from this, do ensure you have unlimited glass replacement cover in your insurance.

Other than those issues it has given excellent service.

If its what you want, if it come with an insurance based warranty, I would say take it, could be a negotiating point, we had a three year one included when we purchased a Hymer, and could, and did claim on it, one a broken suspension spring, and at a later date, a replacement Electrobloc was needed. The value of these two claims by far exceeded the value of the insurance, which came with the purchase, so for us it was win, win.

12 months warranty parts and labour is their 'Norm' apparently? As regards Glass replacement issues you have mentioned, I have contacted Auto glass and they have quoted with a £75 excess that they would have no issues with the replacement of this and the two side panels. The guy quoted a serial number version for the registration number I gave him and said it was not a problem. The issue lay with the heated type set up. Then it rockets in price! Rediculously steep! Must check now with that in mind! Hope its the plain one Lol.

Apr 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
IH N680CRL
Exp
Since 2006
Our friends bought an 06 model about 4 years ago, They love it!

What more can I say

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I'm not brave enough, but it seems that those who have them today seem to have nothing more than the usual issues you would get with any van. If you don't mind possible future selling issues then gofer it! (y)

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Why did the front window need replacing? Was it because of a stress fracture or was it caused because of movement of the window frame itself? I once knew an Auto-Trail club member who was desperate to get rid of his Frontier as he was experiencing numerous problems. He had bought it from new.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi there. The truck in mind is a Mercedes based with a Automatic gearbox and whilst I agree that it could have been a 'trip too far' regarding pennies due to the problems in the early days, surely that does not have any meaning now? I may be gullible here but that was 10 years ago. The cost originally would have been £70k which would have caused any one to have had a 'blue fit' if there were issues at the time. Hence the problems that had then. Surely now..that should be long forgotten? After all..10 years on and 2o k on the clock..does n 't that mean anything nowadays?

I am but a amoeba l. The world is far bigger than the pool I am in. I hope to be a big fish one day! lol
Thank you any way
I was thinking more on the lines of it being a white elefant & being difficult to sell next time you want to change vans.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We met a couple in Spain last winter who had one it looked great and they loved it and had owned since new.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Is this the same one from yesterday, 35 grand?:Eeek: Ten years old ,surely a big risk on a van with a bad reputation when there's loads of others about

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We seriously thought of a Grande Frontier in the early days of production. After test driving we were set to buy until I contacted a dealer friend of mine who sold them. He then warned me of the problems and said they were ceasing production and wait as they would've be very cheap. After deciding against a purchase three months later a certain dealer was selling brand new vans stripped of all graphics to make them look different. The asking price was £ 38000. I still admire them but if a manufacturer ceases production after a couple of dozen units there is a big problem.
Good luck if you go for it but to be safe check a good reliable AClass that's been proven.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Googling I found several reports of cracking GRP panels.. so worth checking.. and bear in mind they will be expensive to replace if not 'off the shelf'

just one of many ..

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but don' touch a Grand Frontier with a barge pole!!
We owned one and had the most terrible time with it. We part-exchanged after just 12 weeks and lost £10,000.
It went back to the factory 3 times during the 10 months we had it (we had to wait for our new Frankia). The built quality is rubbish but yes it does look like a nice van. Ours was on a Merc chassis and that was the only good bit!!

also some threads on Fun

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/grande-frontier-any-good-ones.12672/#post-653259

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Update!........Test run proved too much! Did not think so much could creak and squeak whilst on the go?
I have to bow down to you guys. I am unworthy!
Thanks for your advice with this. Plan B, I suppose? Hey ho. Plenty of time though...I think?
Kev and (Very happy smiley wife) Carolyn! :roflmto:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Update!........Test run proved too much! Did not think so much could creak and squeak whilst on the go?
I have to bow down to you guys. I am unworthy!
Thanks for your advice with this. Plan B, I suppose? Hey ho. Plenty of time though...I think?
Kev and (Very happy smiley wife) Carolyn! :roflmto:

That's what this forum is all about, keep looking the right one will come along in the end.

OP
OP
Kev and Carolyn
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Can I throw something in to the pot folk? Burstner Elegance 680? Any good?
Again....I am on bended knees guys!

A7300

Free Member
Feb 20, 2016
Newport South WALES
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL A7300
Exp
20 YEARS
Hi I have. Owned one for five years you will have to kill me to take it from me keep up the uninformed Chinese whispers.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Seeing as this thread is 6 months old, do we know what they ended up with?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi guys.

Sorry about this but please feel free to throw some suggestions regarding this issue I / we have!
I am rather passionate about the Grande frontier! I know they had a bad reputation from the beginning but..I just think they are just wonderful!
Now then...my issue is this..should I trade mine for it or not?
I have a choice of two. Both have 20k mileage, but one is 3k more than the other! Not sure why?
That aside, both are prepared to deal for the same 'Purchase price' I have in mind.
Now before folk go off and start slating them off because of their earlier problems..this is 10 years ago! Im assuming the issues they did have have all gone by now?
It comes down to the layout in side . I have not seen anything that looks any better to be honest. The external looks take some beating too.
Please feel free to abuse and confuse us even more than we are at the moment, but I put it it down to my tablets and Morphine patches , so as we can learn yet again from our peers ....guide us in the right direction if at all possible!
PS...My wife says she wants a Mohican! I always thought that was a Hair cut style!

For gods sake don't suggest she has a Brazilian..haha

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back