LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've a problem that I wonder is me or FUN.

I create a reply to a message. Preview it. Submit it.

Regularly, one in ten, the screen freezes with the "busy" logo twirling around as if the internet is down.

So I open another tab in Firefox 3.07, pull up FUN, go to the thread in question and there is my post, finished. Yet, on the first tab I still have the busy signal and it's locked up, so I just close it.

It would seem that a handshake is not getting back to the post routine telling it that it's job done.

This is a computer I earn my living on, programming, it's not showing any other problems, *except* that a change in tariff on Tiscali means the internet connection is almost useless in the evenings.

So the question is is anyone else seeing this problem ?

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not me Sir:Blush:

Strange.

At least I'm not alone. And with the wide spread of experience in here there may be some who would assume they'd made a mistake and just re-started.

I, of course, never make mistakes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i replied to a post the other day, previewed it, then submitted it.:thumb:

could be floating around anywhere now but it never appeared on the thread....:cry:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
It happens to me with Firefox Hill Dweller, but not with IE7.

I guess it's a Firefox goof.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
It happens to me with Firefox Hill Dweller, but not with IE7.

I guess it's a Firefox goof.

I am sure it was a problem like this with IE that prompted me to switch to Firefox originally, I now use Firefox and am not having problems replying to posts.

Ralph

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think these issues are down to server optimisation. We now have everything sat on the new server, which has a faster processor and double the memory. It's all working fine (apart from the new chat program:RollEyes:) What we have to do now is optimise the server so the database runs fast and our operating system delivers the the right pages to you as quickly as possible. Some scripts seem to be inconsistent in the speed that they are running and this has led to some time-out issues for a few and we are investigating. I am at the bottom of a very steep learning curve, but we are headed in the right direction, I'm sure of that, most of the time :roflmto:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A bit more information.....

Should anyone be interested I've found another pattern to this...

I post a reply and Firefox hangs.

I open another window, FUN, go to my reply, it's there as the last post. I close window one.

BUT on the home page the last post is not mine but next to last.

So I suspect the area where it's falling over is the final indexing of posts.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think these issues are down to server optimisation. We now have everything sat on the new server, which has a faster processor and double the memory. It's all working fine (apart from the new chat program:RollEyes:) What we have to do now is optimise the server so the database runs fast and our operating system delivers the the right pages to you as quickly as possible. Some scripts seem to be inconsistent in the speed that they are running and this has led to some time-out issues for a few and we are investigating. I am at the bottom of a very steep learning curve, but we are headed in the right direction, I'm sure of that, most of the time :roflmto:
I read that as, "Its all up hill from here":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I read that as, "Its all up hill from here":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

It's *always* up hill in computing because the whole industry crashes if they don't keep moving the goal posts to keep us buying new. Just a tiny fraction of the cost/effort is things that are genuinely useful.

Same with cars, isn't it.

Same with digital and HD TV.

Anything to make us part with our money otherwise millions of job losses.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
as well as the aforementioned problems, all of which I suffer from time to time, Chat also has a number of problems, people being "timed out" and having to log in again, text dissappearing, very often I see the last person who logged in when I do even though they have gone, refresh the screen and they are gone. So what is the problem with the new chat Jim are te techies sorting is or is it just a waste of money.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Seems to be something to do with vBulletin, Firefox and or Google Chrome
It is a wide spread problem and one that has been discussed on the vBul user forum

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
I've a problem that I wonder is me or FUN.

I create a reply to a message. Preview it. Submit it.

Regularly, one in ten, the screen freezes with the "busy" logo twirling around as if the internet is down.

So I open another tab in Firefox 3.07, pull up FUN, go to the thread in question and there is my post, finished. Yet, on the first tab I still have the busy signal and it's locked up, so I just close it.

It would seem that a handshake is not getting back to the post routine telling it that it's job done.

This is a computer I earn my living on, programming, it's not showing any other problems, *except* that a change in tariff on Tiscali means the internet connection is almost useless in the evenings.

So the question is is anyone else seeing this problem ?
I dont have problems answering posts:thumb: but i always have trouble signing in:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back