SheepSkin rugs for the motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have to admit I was sceptical about this as I thought they were too delicate, take up too much space in the summer and get manky too quickly.

Anyway, my good friends who had mocked me ruthlessly for my motorhome hobby eventually got a demountable. During one of our many trips away we were all sat outside round a campfire getting a little cold. The went into their van and brought out a couple of sheepskin rugs which they then put on their chairs and sat on. I was the only one shivering by the end of the night and kept having to stand up to warm my butt. They extolled the virtues of them pretty much non stop until they finally left for the U.S.

I finally bought one 2 weeks ago. I have to say it is brilliant. Sitting outside is one thing, but having it on the bed has made such a difference. I have one of those raved about Duvalays which to be honest I have found to be an expensive pile of rubbish (and may soon go in the bid). However the sheep skin at less than half the price is worth it's weight. I have turned the heating down on cold nights and on the 2 warmer nights didn't overheat. It also feels absolutely amazing. I also use it at my work station when on the computer as it is so comfortable to sit on..

Anyway, I just thought I would let you know that a Sheepskin rug is a worthwhile addition to the motorhome.. I think as a fulltimer this is going to be top of my non essential but must have list.

This is the one I got.. But Amazon have lots of suppliers around the Ā£40-45 mark for the extra large ones. Amazon product ASIN B00ND8WAUO

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
Sounds a really good idea and one I would not have thought of - thank you :) Did you put the sheepskin under your sheet?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Well Charlie has claimed ours :LOL:
image.jpg

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We bought the Urban Wool duvet at the Peterborough show. Although it seemed hideously expensive, we have been amazed by its properties. We were told it would suit all seasons and we were probably sceptical, but it is wonderful. We used it in the heat of summer (in France/Germany) and its serving us well as temperatures are now dropping. I think there is a lot to be said for natural products.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
For the past five years Eddie and I have had three Sheepskins in our van would not be with out them comfortable when travelling long distances, but warm or cool whatever is needed
But I would add one of the Best places to buy them is Skyeskins from the Isle of Skye, they are one of the few places in the UK that process the skins here, most are sent to China then imported back to the UK , where as the ones from Skye are done there with sheep skin's from Skye. Very reasonable and ours are still like knew. Picture Ed tonight on Sheepskins after a wee dram or two
IMG_20150921_222600157.jpg

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds a really good idea and one I would not have thought of - thank you :) Did you put the sheepskin under your sheet?
I use mine on top to keep the heat in. I do however sit on it when not sleeping.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
For the past five years Eddie and I have had three Sheepskins in our van would not be with out them comfortable when travelling long distances, but warm or cool whatever is needed
But I would add one of the Best places to buy them is Skyeskins from the Isle of Skye, they are one of the few places in the UK that process the skins here, most are sent to China then imported back to the UK , where as the ones from Skye are done there with sheep skin's from Skye. Very reasonable and ours are still like knew. Picture Ed tonight on Sheepskins after a wee dram or twoView attachment 76436

Think I'm sold Carol. Will be looking into those, thank you (y)

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
just read this thread, all those coming to Pembrey this weekend can now put their names down to catch a sheep competition ,all you need are a pair of wellies and be fast, any cheating in this competition and you will be ba ba black sheep ED you can be one of the judge with TARAN_LAS he loves a catch a sheep north WALES CHAMPION 2000 2005 2008 lot of sheep skins in is m/h so do not let him pull the wool over your eyeslol stil lol ray xx

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Must admit I was very sceptical when my wife bought a sheepskin for Ā£40 from Dunelm Mill earlier this year saying it would be more comfortable to sit on. Soon changed my mind when we swapped seats one day but didn't move the sheepskin over!
Not that I am tight, but I spotted one for a tenner at a car boot which was spot on. The standard single skin is long enough to cover the 'horizontal' bit of the chair and about the same distance up the backrest and gives good lumbar support but if you want one that goes all the way up the back of the chair you would need a bigger/double pelt.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm veggie so wouldn't have one, obviously, but many years ago when I taught very frail, fragile special needs children , they lay on sheepskins on beanbags. Kept them warm ( temperature regulation often a problem) and protected their fragile skin from abrasions and pressure sores. At least a few sheep didn't die in vain!

I'm told that here in Devon, Pixieland on Dartmoor is the place to buy sheepskin.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I was parked next to a motorhome at the Brownhills show at the weekend.They had two on the cab seats.looked really comfortable.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'm veggie so wouldn't have one, obviously, but many years ago when I taught very frail, fragile special needs children , they lay on sheepskins on beanbags. Kept them warm ( temperature regulation often a problem) and protected their fragile skin from abrasions and pressure sores. At least a few sheep didn't die in vain!

I'm told that here in Devon, Pixieland on Dartmoor is the place to buy sheepskin.

Unless you are a Vegan who avoids all Animal products completely? Using a sheepskin is good as it is a by-product of the meat industry. The animal would be killed either way so by using a sheepskin you are simply using a waste product in the same way that you would leather shoes, belts or bags.

Of course if it just something you wouldn't be comfortable with that is fine, no judgements from me.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: This is why Vegans have such a hard life. Can you imagine having to avoid all these products.
Broken Link Removed

Worth a read if you want to avoid all animal by products...

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Unless you are a Vegan who avoids all Animal products completely? Using a sheepskin is good as it is a by-product of the meat industry. The animal would be killed either way so by using a sheepskin you are simply using a waste product in the same way that you would leather shoes, belts or bags.

Of course if it just something you wouldn't be comfortable with that is fine, no judgements from me.

I don't wear or buy anything leather, won't have leather car seats or furniture. Eat vegetarian cheese. But a lot of kids skin was saved from damage and infection by those sheepskins. I'm sure they have more sophisticated things these days.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sounds great ... but I can't even slightly touch wool products as they make me itch! I used to be able to get away with lambswool jumpers but only if I had something between them and me!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've got them. Must admit we only use them to sit on outside. Great to keep your bum and back warm. When not in use they are rolled up and stored in Pugs parcel shelf. Above our heads. Or our dog Buster would lay on them. Guaranteed. Then we'd have stinky sheepskin as well as sweaty dog. Haha

Ed Earl

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2010
Funster No
Hi, yes thanks we are both good, having a tootle around Wales at the moment on the way to Pembrey, the Sheepskin is just the normal size we paid about ,Ā£48, each for them a few years ago, still as good as new, we actually went to Skyeskins on Skye to get ours and watched the process, they are done the same now as a hundred years ago. The quality of ours is excellent
clear.png

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
We also saw the process of making them in Skye but unfortunately did not think to buy any, oh well, maybe there will be another opportunity. Regards, Mike

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Our two skins arrived yesterday and to say we are delighted would be an understatement.. they are gorgeous.. beautiful white fluffy and super quality .. am tempted to get two more ..

Next time we visit Skye , Skyskyns factory shop is on the top of our list places to visit.. they have some lovely products.. :cool:

It's also great that we can still purchase goods actually made in the UK.. supporting the local economy and people of Skye ..:)

DSCF2237.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Our two skins arrived yesterday and to say we are delighted would be an understatement.. they are gorgeous.. beautiful white fluffy and super quality .. am tempted to get two more ..

Sorry to talk money, but I want to order what you have, but don't know which is which

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp

Sorry to talk money, but I don't know which ones you bought, want to get one for my wife, thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back