What a fantastic day it has been (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Southend-on-sea our very own Le'toquet here in Essex. Sun sea and great food. Southend has now shed it's old day tripper past and having it's own international airport is set to be a tour attraction in it's own right. If you go from Westcliff through to Thorpe Bay you have a good few miles of coastline with ample parking for cars and motorhomes, cycling skating and running tracks along the expanse of sea front.
I have come home with a nice tan after a brilliant day at Southend on sea. Dont knock it until you have tried it.(y):cool:

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We like Southend , when we lived at GtBaddow in the early 70s used to take the kids for a day out and a Rossi cornet

Photo of Southend from the deck of the STS Tenacious almost at the end of a voyage back in July 2001
Can you see the Kursaal ? ;)
image.jpeg

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I can admit this now as it happened many years ago I sailed on my first ship from London East India dock heading for Australia I was sweet 16 and when I sailed passed the end of Southend pier my Mum and her sister were on the end of the pier waving their hands off. It wasn't until I had kids of my own that I understood why they were waving from the pier that day.;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Never been to Southend (never been to Essex), seen the pier on Jamie & Jimmy's TV programme and thought I'd like to go. Must get there some day

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I live near Southend (Hockley) and when I moved here 25 Years ago Southend was a right sh*t hole. It's had a lot of money spent on it over the last few years and what a difference it's made. It's now a pleasant place to walk with lots of nice places to eat.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Never been to Southend (never been to Essex), seen the pier on Jamie & Jimmy's TV programme and thought I'd like to go. Must get there some day
Take your roller skates and hot pants scousbird and you have a ball. (y);)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Have a ride across to Southend some day Helen. It's not as pretty as your Sandwich, Whitstable etc; just different. It depends upon which end you go to. It's sea-sidey up the pier end and yacht-clubby at the Thorpe Bay end with million pound houses.

For a ride, I sometimes just park up at the Thorpe Bay end, have a cuppa in the Moho and look out to sea (or more properly, the Estuary). There is ample parking along the front, but you have to reverse into parking bays and pay if you want a sea view. It's quite a good people-watching spot, with the odd unusual car out for a spin. It's quite popular with the blue rinse set who spend ages trying to reverse their Micra's into the parking bays. The men are normally dozing within minutes of parking up! Conversely, the roller blade crew whizz up n'down the prom and there's the usual smattering of lovers, families and the matching anorak brigade to look at.

If you fancy a walk, there's plenty of green spaces, a pub, beach huts to poke your nose into and a bit further on, there's the old restored garrison at Shoeburyness.

James

Last edited:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
My grandfather lived at Thorpe Bay in the 1960's so we had to go most weekends so have done the pier both on foot and on the train many times. Southend is a bit like most popular seaside resorts and has its slot machines and other unsavoury features but it has picked up in recent years as I have been back a few times. The airport has been international for many years. I can remember flying to Calais on one of the car transporters to go on holiday with my parents to Italy in 1959! To Riccione and back in an MG ZB Magnette in 1959 - that was an adventure - I was seven at the time. I seem to remember loving lasagne, and spaghetti bolognese but hating parma ham! Anyway back to Southend - I could never ever stand the thought of jellied eels!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back