My Garmin Nuvi 1490T has plotted it's last route and needs a successor (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I've been running it about 8 years and completely happy with Garmin and the way this unit has behaved but it's been bashed about and dropped a few times so time for a new one.

So many previous threads on "What's the best sat nav?" and trying to make a choice is like swimming through soup and I'm a little out of touch with the latest models.

What I'd really like is to hear from other ex-1490 users who have moved on to something they find equally reliable - if not better.

I'd rather stick to Garmin and am not interested in fancy features. I don't drive a big van so not concerned about height/width plotting etc (Anyway, I don't believe mapping generally supports them ).

So, Garmin, 5 inch, Europe lifetime maps - what's your thoughts?

ps - please, no Snooper, Chinese or Apps on any sort. :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've got a Garmin Nuvi - (can find the model number if you need it) much better than our previous TomTom.
Has worked all over Europe inc Norway.
Only 1 small niggle - you need to get a Mircro memory card to be able to do the may updates as the memory is not quite big enough. They only cost a few pounds, so I'm surprised that they come supplied as standard.

We also bought a Chinese one as a spare - total rubbish, both in build quality but also usability.

I guess like most things, you pay's your money and takes your choice!

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
The answer is in the OP, if you like Garmin........ Buy a Garmin. Simples!

Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had a couple of TomToms and a Garmin for the car. Used them in the van and then got a Chinese one and the Garmin Camper. Notes Here.

I'm happy with the Garmin Camper in the van (with the Chinese one as backup).

I'm becoming disenchanted with the TomTom I use in the car as I keep comparing it to my preferred Garmin Camper so I shall be getting a Garmin next time I need another for the car. On that basis I would say go for whichever Garmin takes your fancy.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I used a similar model to yours ( still have it stored away somewhere) and upgraded to a 3598T. The first one packed up and I got a replacement a couple of years ago. its still working fine and has taken us all over Europe in the van and is now in the car that we keep in France.
I bought a 760 Dezl for the van and then a Nuvicam for my other car.
I am pretty sure the basic mapping and features are all exactly the same on all of them, but as you go up the price range, they include more goodies.
So, I would think just about any new Garmin model would suit you.

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Another thing about Garmin is their after sales, you can call them in the UK and speak to someone who knows what there on about, my Nuvi 1490 went blank screen on me, guy talked me through some things too try, but still didn't work, he said l see this is your third Garmin, as your a loyal customer, we'll repair it for you for free it was well out of warranty, to me that was top notch customer service.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Another thing about Garmin is their after sales, you can call them in the UK and speak to someone who knows what there on about, my Nuvi 1490 went blank screen on me, guy talked me through some things too try, but still didn't work, he said l see this is your third Garmin, as your a loyal customer, we'll repair it for you for free it was well out of warranty, to me that was top notch customer service.
That's good, I've had similar support from TomTom( this is my fifth)
Nothing wrong with the others, I found it cheaper to eBay the old ones & buy new rather than buy map upgrades(before the days of lifetime maps) Now have the camper maps on a Via125 & happy with it.
I tried the Gain camper but had lots of issues with it So it went back to Aldi.
I think a lot of it is down to what you are used to?

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Been using Garmin for at least 8 years still do on the motorbike trips good kit but in the van now we stick solely to CoPilot.
Been using it over a year now 3 big European trips completed and now trust it totally. Ran it alongside the Garmin to start but soon realised it was a much better tool especially the ability to plan and change routes.
Tried Snooper TomTom and the Chinese things and all are a very poor third compared to CoPilot with Garmin a distant second.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I know you don't require the added functionality delivered by the Camper 760 but the 7" screen is a real benefit over the "standard" 5" version (or so I find).
Also got a nuvi2460 (think this was the replacement for your 1490?) about 5 - 6 years old or so and an ancient nuvi765? (I think that'll be 12 - 15 years old) so reliability seems good for Garmin (for me anyway).
Anyway, our local Aldi still have the 760 on sale at £180 if of interest to yourself.
Both Lidl and Aldi have offers come around on Garmin sat navs but these tend to be in spring \ early summer.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Thanks @Gellyneck , size matters too - a 7" is too big for my needs but the more I research the more I'm coming to the conclusion that what I really want is another Garmin 1490, or it's current equivalent. Travelling solo as I do it's reliability that I need and that's what I've had all these years from Garmin. I'm just a little out of touch with "which model has what features" so I just need to revisit all the Garmin products to find the one that suits me best. Thanks

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Have stuck with Garmin for 15 year's, the support first class. Have spent bundles in the past now have a cheap under £100 nuvi 2547? (I think) living in London having the traffic add on a waste of time.....as traffic everywhere!

Does all I need, I plan routes on PC and download to nuvi...

Not sure what's the current models im afraid...just go through them on Garmin site:)

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
I've got the Nuvi 2595LMT and my 1490 take both now after the 1490 went blank on the perifique round Paris just after it had announced an exit which I hadn't really took notice of, so l took the immediate next one which was wrong, but as luck would have it kicked back in after about 5 mins, while this was all happening my daughter was on phone telling the wife grandson number 1 had jumped off the sofa and cracked his head open and was taking him to hospital hee be geebies in play, but all good in the end.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back