In terms of Motorhoming how do YOU define freeloading (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
facilities like water and sewerage? that we pay for at home and visitors to our tourist town use for free as well, sorry that one will not wash. Contributing to the local community fine we always buy locally and visit local attractions after all that is why we are on holiday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
facilities like water and sewerage? that we pay for at home and visitors to our tourist town use for free as well, sorry that one will not wash. Contributing to the local community fine we always buy locally and visit local attractions after all that is why we are on holiday.
Yes but many others do not

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

If you are putting extra load on the local facilities without contributing to the area, surely you are free loading. The scale of free loading is different; if I have a loo break in a cafe without buying anything, I make a small impact on their facilities. If I park outside their rooms and spoil the view and reduce the number of others visiting the cafe, my impact is greater. I am not sure at what point it would become "tosser" on the free loading scale.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If you are putting extra load on the local facilities without contributing to the area, surely you are free loading. The scale of free loading is different; if I have a loo break in a cafe without buying anything, I make a small impact on their facilities. If I park outside their rooms and spoil the view and reduce the number of others visiting the cafe, my impact is greater. I am not sure at what point it would become "tosser" on the free loading scale.
In my book a "tosser" is someone who makes a point of doing so.

A case in point is a place that used to be a part of an overnighting motorhoming community. The manager found that people were staying there and not doing the decent thing but eating and drinking in their vans whilst using all the facilities. They have spoilt it for others as he has stopped that and now charges for what was previously effectively for free - all because some people didn't play the game.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Genuine folk would feel guilty at taking advantage, I doubt a freeloader gives it a second thought avoiding any costs where possible
That strikes a very big chord (y)

Thankfully, many people have a sense of fair play and like to contribute. The place referred to in my earlier post did well out of us earlier and we are going back next month for three days as we had such a good time. It wasn't expensive either

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
There is a difference between avoiding costs and avoiding costs whilst increasing the burden on others. In our case, we enjoy wild camping (no cost) but aim not to interfere with the enjoyment of people in the community and spend more on local goods and services. Wouldn't be keen on turning up with a MH full of Tesco shopping and spending time in an area where my only contribution was more rubbish and sewage.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
There is a difference between avoiding costs and avoiding costs whilst increasing the burden on others. In our case, we enjoy wild camping (no cost) but aim not to interfere with the enjoyment of people in the community and spend more on local goods and services. Wouldn't be keen on turning up with a MH full of Tesco shopping and spending time in an area where my only contribution was more rubbish and sewage.
That is very nicely put but a true freeloader would shop in Aldi as it is allegedly cheaper (y)

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
freeloader
ˈfriːləʊdə/
noun
informal
noun: freeloader; plural noun: freeloaders; noun: free-loader; plural noun: free-loaders
  1. a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return.

Nothing else to add really!:)

:cooler:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I think any freeloader knows full well what a freeloader is.
Exactly - Freeloading is all about intention.
Intentionally using, or obtaining money, goods or services with the intention of not paying for them, either with money, or in kind.
Freeloaders are a parasite on the rest of society - and should be treated as such

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
given all of the above how can anyone call someone else a freeloader (apart from MP's) as their thoughts and intentions are unknown. To me the biggest freeloaders are those who read forums but never post themselves it does not matter if they pay for the privilege or not, they do not contribute to the general well being of the community (othere than making sure Jim has jam to put on his dry crust)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Ahh the men in black :LOL:
Jim could always make some forum sections inaccessible to read only clients (y)

Sep 17, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000iL
Exp
since 2015
freeloader
ˈfriːləʊdə/
noun
informal
noun: freeloader; plural noun: freeloaders; noun: free-loader; plural noun: free-loaders
  1. a person who takes advantage of others' generosity without giving anything in return.

Nothing else to add really!:)

:cooler:

Wow! that sound just like people that work in Government..........

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Genuine folk would feel guilty at taking advantage, I doubt a freeloader gives it a second thought avoiding any costs where possible

I even try not to use electricity, when on an EHU connected pitch, too much. I switch lights and everything else off quickly as I would in my own home. It makes me mad to see some people with two or more electric heaters plus van heating plus tv they are not watching plus other stuff not being used but switched on....who say well we have paid for it so we use it ... NO.. THE REST OF US WILL PAY FOR IT when fees go up... It is simply showing respect...

I am all for wildcamping near, in, towns as long as you use the local shops, pubs, etc and thus give something back.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As someone who pays their way in life, I think that I and others like me have every right to call anyone who avoids paying their dues a freeloader. Be it a tax dodger, a benefits cheat, train passengers who don't buy a ticket, even someone who parks without paying.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
To me the biggest freeloaders are those who read forums but never post themselves it does not matter if they pay for the privilege

Surely if they pay for the privilege they are giving something in return! I would imagine there are many people who derive benefit from a site such as this but feel uncomfortable in voicing their opinions, for fear of being shot down in flames, equally, present company excepted, there many who we all feel should just keep their opinions to themselves! :);)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back