May 20, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
2 years
Hi from damp Sawley by the Trent [between Nottingham & Derby]

My pride and joy at the moment is a Compass Rambler that I required last year 57 plate.
Been to quit a few places in it so far, I drive alone apart from my mate who is a Boxer Dog named Diezel, you my have seen us on the motorways and side roads he’s normal in the front giving me direction, I get lost easily.
I was told when I bought the van that I would get a lot of waving from other RV owners as they passed on the opposite side of motorways and A roads, I wasn’t disappointed, reminded me a little of the wave one got from Reliant Robin drivers many years ago.
I retired 7 years ago took early retirement and redundancy which worked for me.
Spent the last two years refurbishing an old 60s bungalow, the insides have been done, started on the outside now.
This year I’ve been to Snowdonia had a week there and just come back from Kent, never been there before and was very impressed apart from the beer, don’t like Kentish beer rather have a Nottingham brew anytime…..Castle Rock especially.
Later in the year hoping to take the van up to scotland and to try and get lost for several weeks, been before but not in a RV.

Well that’s about it so its over to you…

Last edited:

Dawn

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
Merseyside.
Funster No
MH
Hightop.
Exp
17yrs.
Hello & :welcome: to you both :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
welcome to the Fun, don't forget the chatroom ( I live there in the evenings so usually someone to chat to.) Quiz in the chatroom on Thursday evenings, no brains of britain need attend, hee hee, We have a laugh and hope you do also.
7d8bb0f6.gif

Wildmanfirelogo4-1.jpg

OP
OP
Compass57

Compass57

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
2 years
Thanks you're so kind

:Eeek:As you might have guested I'm new to RVing, I've just got use to the width of the van when going down country roads, had some scarry moments i can tell you, mirrors pulled in at the last moment kind of stuff.
Sorry thanks for the warm welcome everybody.:thumb:
Me and Diezel we don't use camp sites prefer to do our own thing so to speak, side of the road in a layby or a picknick area anywhere basically where my van will fit.
Spent several nights this year by the side of a dam in Snowdonia it was lovely, Diezel likes the freedom too to wonder wherever he likes, he dosent stray far, always comes back, he knows what side his bread is buttered.
Thought of selling up and living in the van permently but thought better of it, not quite ready for that move yet.
I was in Kent [Herne Bay ] to be precise several weeeks ago, another lovely place and not been before, was there to meet a lady, I'm a single chap if you haven't already gussed, things didn't quite work out, such is life, anyway where were i, I parked up at the north end of the prom one road back George Street I beleive, free parking but noisy at night. At five thirty every night the local boy races would patrol the prom, police knowhere to be seen, this would go on right up until twelve midnight, good job I'm not an early to bed sort of person.
Spent ten days parked up there overnight, i moved every day touring Kent and came back in the late afternoon.
Scotland is my next big adventure, I was hoping to take someone with me but as i have just mentioned that relationship didn't work out, she was Scotish too.
My plan is to visit every distillery in a ten mile radius from where I'm passing, may take a while then? has one seen how many distilleries there are in Scotland? The last time i was in Scotland I visited Glenmorange had the wife with me then ,and we stopped in a local pub b&b type of thing...in Beauty near Innverness, they too had a local distilery close by.
Later in the year am hoping to take the van over to Ireland, been told the Guinness is nothing like it is here, I drink guinness whenever i can't find a beer I like, I'm rather choosey about my beers.
Getting back to the distillery trip, my plan is to buy a bottle of their finest spirit from every distillery i pass, better make sure I leave plenty of room in the van for that, I always tend to take to many cloths.
Hark at me don't i go on will have nothing to say later better stop before I say it all.....Bip x:thumb:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Compass 57 welcome to the friendly club as no doubt you have already found out.There is lots of info on here , just ask. Happy travelling.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
Compass57

Compass57

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Low line
Exp
2 years
Local site.

:Eeek:Thanks Dave for the welcome I can go on a little so you will have to forgive me if i ramble on at times.
If anyone is intrested I write a blog on a local site here in Nottingham the site is called www.Nottstalgia.com look under members blobs and click on Bips blog.
Thats me the Casanova of the site, well not really I do tend to flower my posts somewhat but all is true there's nothing like the taste of butter you can keep margarine in all its guises......thats an example..:thumb:

Bip.

Pete45

Free Member
Jan 29, 2009
Milton Keynes Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Had 2 RV from 2003
:welcome: To you Mr Compass 57.you will be OK on here they all like a :ROFLMAO: and so on.well if we see you on the road some time or at a rally you will get a wave from us. Pete & Shirl Arizona Chief :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Getting back to the distillery trip, my plan is to buy a bottle of their finest spirit from every distillery i pass

I've driven The Whisky Trail many times working up there. The scenery does not get better than that anywhere. Sometimes you can't see it, and you can pay with your body as the flies eat you alive, but apart from that it's wonderful. Make sure you buy yourself a full Scottish breakfast, just once, I don't think anyone can eat two in a lifetime.

You might have to sell the bungalow sooner than you think, "the finest" is mighty expensive, I doubt I could swallow it.

Many years ago I was working there and the boss of the firm took me to his local. "They've a grand selection of whisky". That much I know, I also know I got back to his house but in between.......

We did see wine at €249 a bottle in a French supermarket a few weeks ago. Thought it was just a bit over the top to go with our beefburgers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back