Interference on TV from led strip lights (1 Viewer)

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
when I turn on the two long led lounge lights in my Autotrail Dakota, I end up with interference on the satellite sourced drop down TV unit. Interference is also visible on the in built media unit screen. None of the other led lights interfere with the picture. Any thoughts on how I can stop the interference?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A small ferrite ring or rod in the power wires may help.
The tv may be picking up interference from the common power supply if the led strips are not shielded in any way.

Electronics arent my field but i have seen ferrite rings used to good effect.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont get any interference from my gas lights . mind i do get some warmth and they kill flies and mozzies dont like them . plus they save more leccy than led,s .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant be doing with all this modern stuff.
mind we have got colour tv in cornwall now .

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
"mind we have got colour tv in cornwall now"

Thats only because they were selling tins of paint cheap at Trewartha's. Ours is still in B &W.
Safe travels Alan.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
now you should know you cant say that it could be racist.
catch you in lidl .
same time same channel. ha ha .

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
when I turn on the two long led lounge lights in my Autotrail Dakota, I end up with interference on the satellite sourced drop down TV unit. Interference is also visible on the in built media unit screen. None of the other led lights interfere with the picture. Any thoughts on how I can stop the interference?
On the + & - wires as close to the LED light as possible: 0.1uf capacitor across the wires then a couple of ferrite beads on each wire. Beads should be nearest to the light, Do this for each light and if the light fitting is metal connect it to the -ve wire.

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
"mind we have got colour tv in cornwall now"

Thats only because they were selling tins of paint cheap at Trewartha's. Ours is still in B &W.
Safe travels Alan.
Trewarthas are good, but I miss Doney and Hancock. Robert would constantly amaze me by climbing over and through his seemingly random assortment of "stock" to lay his hands on the most obscure items of hardware, even just going from a somewhat sketchy description!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We arrived more or less at the same time as they were shutting up shop.
We built our house and it was a mine of useful stuff when you needed something, "NOW"

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you both lost me . i remember trago starting with what was only a market stall in glynn valley. ha ha .
i must be the young one here . hee hee .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
cant be doing with all this modern stuff.
mind we have got colour tv in cornwall now .
I remember my dear old nan speaking to the TV repair man. He asked is it a colour set? No, said nan its in a wooden box:rofl::rofl:

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
LEDs should not cause any more interference than normal bulbs. Unless they are being driven by an active dimmer circuit. These generate a square wave which can kick out all sorts of crud. More power efficient than a resistive circuit. Having said that it should be straightforward to try the solutions given.

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
LEDs should not cause any more interference than normal bulbs. Unless they are being driven by an active dimmer circuit. These generate a square wave which can kick out all sorts of crud. More power efficient than a resistive circuit. Having said that it should be straightforward to try the solutions given.

It is on a dimmer circuit - the button is on the panel above the door. Will try magnet thing first

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
LED's do cause interference
I had some bulbs from one of the show'regulars' not altern, but the ones from derbyshire;)
Had to remove them, they disabled the DAB radio signal and the the TV, Some early bulbs didn't conform to regulations, hence they interfere
Good suppliers = good bulbs

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years

Nigel are you sure its the lights as I have the same in my Mohawk but it only does it with the PSU on, no interference at all if I turn it off and run of the hab batt

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Nigel are you sure its the lights as I have the same in my Mohawk but it only does it with the PSU on, no interference at all if I turn it off and run of the hab batt

It is the dimmerable lounge lights causing the issue as we even get it whilst off hook up. Turn the lounge strip lights off at the interference stops. Looking for a suitable magnet at the moment to see if this sorts problem.

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
you both lost me . i remember trago starting with what was only a market stall in glynn valley. ha ha .
i must be the young one here . hee hee .
independant hardware stores. Their selection of mainstream items such as lighting may not be quite as good as national chains, but they will often have some more obscure items and, when living in a rural area, can save you a long car journey. Any extra cost is usually offset by the savings in fuel.

Like your local sub post office, use it or lose it!!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say never been in them.
never really shopped at callington .
been there lots of times . used to work out of the sww sewage works there .
learn something new every day.
and i agree i use out local post office as much as i can .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back