Time to buy a motorhome but what type !!!!! (1 Viewer)

buckley74

Free Member
Aug 29, 2015
leeds
Funster No
MH
n/a
Exp
n/a
Hi guys just joined the site a few days ago. Me and r lass are starting to look at buying our first motorhome, always had caravans. Can't wait.
But where do we start, we don't want anything to big (2-4 berths) between 5-6 metres in lenght and would like to spend up to about £15k. Thinking of a coach build type or low profile. Any idea what's the best motorhome to get for the budget. Make model year ect. Any help would be appreciated Thanks Lee

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Most MHS are made as badly as the next.
Many dealers are as bad as their competitors.
All base chassis cabs are much of a muchness.

I wouldn't get hung up on brands at your budget but buy on condition and place priority on layout, layout, layout!
Next comes considerations such as winterisation, weights, water tank sizes, etc.

Make sure you have the correct driving license for anything over 3.5 tonne gross weight.

Deleted User
Well Lee, you've made your first decision on type, now comes the important one layout.

I'm afraid your going to have to do some "work" now visiting dealers, shows etc and looking at the multitude of layouts available.

Do you want fixed bed? (Good storage, no "making up" bed every night, but sometimes limited lounging space)

A coach built with overcab bed will give you extra berths for less length but sometimes these are poor for adults (but fine for kids)

U shaped lounge? Loads of room to "lounge around" in (more important in UK due to weather) often make huge beds, but you have to assemble them.

Bathroom size? In a 6m van you will probable not get a bathroom with separate shower cubicle, so ensure that the bathroom is big enough to shower in, try the loo (well sit on it) is there enough leg room for you and SWMBO?

There is no such thing as a perfect layout, but get it wrong and you'll be looking to swap your van pretty sharpish.

Happy hunting and I'm sure you'll get loads more advice

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello from us two , from Wakey! I agree with jonandshell.
And add, layout is king.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As said earlier sit on the bog and make sure you and r lass have room to swing the cat.
You will always have to compromise on something but make sure it's the right thing.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
At up to 15k wont get you anything that recent, so after deciding on the layout, I would Take a good torch and mat with you.....and spend a lot of time looking underneath the van. ...for rust and damage and leaks.

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
which one? the right one obviously. Make a list of would like and must haves in terms of facilities then choose a layout you can live in as well as with, finally make sure it has sufficient payload for your needs.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How about this one and not to far away

Broken Link Removed

That looks nice! If the OP does go and have a look I suggest they take someone who knows about motorhomes with them to do a bit of poking and probing as required. Especially if it is a first time buy.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Definitely pay attention to payload before parting with your hard earned, luckily my Dad drilled this into me before we purchased a van. Some will have unfeasibly small payloads to accommodate driver plus passenger(s) and travelling essentials, so beware. Also sensible to locate a weighbridge to be sure...

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
How about this one and not to far away

Broken Link Removed

Sorry to bring this back from the dead... (only three weeks), but that van has been relisted on eBay and has caught my eye as a possible upgrade from my Hymer 544 (the Hymer is a great van, swmbo would like something that looks a little less dated), can anyone give me any info on this model? Would it be a sensible move from the Hymer or would I be picking holes in the quality?

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
@Bacchus Hello mate, I've got a Rapido and I love it. I dare say I'd love a Hymer more though.

To be honest, now you've given the Hymer a good run out and you know it, if it's just a 'refresh' you're after, have you considered getting new upholstery? You'd be surprised how much newer you can make it look all types of fabrics (think leather/suede) with all kinds of trim that might give you what you want for under a grand.

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
@Bacchus Hello mate, I've got a Rapido and I love it. I dare say I'd love a Hymer more though.

To be honest, now you've given the Hymer a good run out and you know it, if it's just a 'refresh' you're after, have you considered getting new upholstery? You'd be surprised how much newer you can make it look all types of fabrics (think leather/suede) with all kinds of trim that might give you what you want for under a grand.

Hi @TheWM

Yeah the Hymer has certainly performed well over the last three or four weeks, and I don't mind the upholstery at all (although these people have been recommended to me for an overhaul:- www.regalfurnishings.co.uk), or its classic looks - there is a school of thought in the boating world that if your other half doesn't like the boat you have two options; one is to change the boat...

Is your Rapido the same model? I suppose I am attracted by its looks, newer appliances, and the slightly bigger engine, presumably that would give a faster cruise speed and/or better MPG (although, once again, at a relaxed pace I got up to 33 out of the Hymer which is incredible). Maybe modern features like anti-lock brakes (I did have one or two "moments" approaching some of the more oily French roundabouts)

decisions, decisions...

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Hi @TheWM

Yeah the Hymer has certainly performed well over the last three or four weeks, and I don't mind the upholstery at all (although these people have been recommended to me for an overhaul:- www.regalfurnishings.co.uk), or its classic looks - there is a school of thought in the boating world that if your other half doesn't like the boat you have two options; one is to change the boat...

Is your Rapido the same model? I suppose I am attracted by its looks, newer appliances, and the slightly bigger engine, presumably that would give a faster cruise speed and/or better MPG (although, once again, at a relaxed pace I got up to 33 out of the Hymer which is incredible). Maybe modern features like anti-lock brakes (I did have one or two "moments" approaching some of the more oily French roundabouts)

decisions, decisions...

No, I have an A Class Rapido.

Fair enough on wanting to upgrade, but the Rapido you're looking at is a coachbuilt and your Hymer is an A Class. The first thing to note is the less space you'll get in a coachbuilt. I've never read or heard comments of people going from an A Class to a coachbuilt and saying that they prefer it.

In fact, some would move from a newer Rapido (such the one listed) to an older A Class like your Hymer, so that they can have an A Class.

For what it's worth, sure - upgrade, but IMO whilst the points you have detailed are valid reasons to move to a newer MH, I don't think this would actually be an upgrade, if that makes sense?

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
... but IMO whilst the points you have detailed are valid reasons to move to a newer MH, I don't think this would actually be an upgrade, if that makes sense?

Makes a lot of sense, thanks, and I am inclined to agree, and I love the A-Class after my old Mitsubishi (that was tiny though)

Maybe I should keep saving and get a newer Hymer, lot of shekels though!

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Makes a lot of sense, thanks, and I am inclined to agree, and I love the A-Class after my old Mitsubishi (that was tiny though)

Maybe I should keep saving and get a newer Hymer, lot of shekels though!

*whispers*

Go and buy one abroad, you'll be surprised at what you can get for your money - that's what I did.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There seems to be a cut off point as far as quality goes.. I would say anything pre 2007 and preferably German !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back