12 volt leisure system staying "live" (1 Viewer)

bmwtouring

Free Member
Apr 17, 2008
Uxbridge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First Motorhome
I have a bessacarr e495 (2007) and I have just had a Camos dish fitted.

The guy that fitted it pointed out that the 12 volt leisure system was staying "live" (ie status aerial box staying on, cooker igniter still working and cigarette lighter tv socket staying on, even when the onboard over door computer panel was switched off.
There is also a constant drain from the leisure battery of about 1 amp.

When the engine is started it all goes off, but obviously when I store the van the battery is draining all the time.

Any experts have any idea on a workround or experienced this themselves or is this a fault I have to live with?

Cheers
Kev

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
not sure what the normal setup is or if it is faulty, it would be quite easy to fit a master "OFF" switch that would disconnect everything, 1 amp takes some finding no doubt you will end up with flat batteries
Until sorted I would make sure the engine is switched on when you switch the hab off, could be the relay is powered from the main engine battery.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try turning off the status booster box at its own switch......on the box itself....or unplug its power plug then check for drain again.
dont know how much power they consume on 'standby' but it will use some.

did it have a current drain before the camos was fitted ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmwtouring

bmwtouring

Free Member
Apr 17, 2008
Uxbridge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First Motorhome
I have tried turning the status off at the switch and the new positioner for the camos off, the drain is still there, and according to the camos fitter the light on the status was already on before he started work!
kev

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Following on from Roger's post.

Our Autoquest has a master switch fitted and I have noticed similar switches in other makes of van when looking round them at shows/dealers.

When the switch is on then all of the 12v circuit is live until the engine is started. Any appliances (e.g. lights, Status box) left switched on would cause a current drain. I suppose even the meter which shows the state of charge of the leisure battery would cause some drain as well.

When the van is not in use I normally turn the master switch off.

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have tried turning the status off at the switch and the new positioner for the camos off, the drain is still there, and according to the camos fitter the light on the status was already on before he started work!
kev

just a thought......if you have an alarm/tracker fitted is it wired directly to the leisure battery?

OP
OP
bmwtouring

bmwtouring

Free Member
Apr 17, 2008
Uxbridge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First Motorhome
Pappajohn,
I will have to check with the dealer tomorrow, I am not sure where the alarm goes but I am pretty confident it is on the cab battery.

GJH,
My main fuse box and charger are under the dining area seat do you think I should switch off from there?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
GJH,
My main fuse box and charger are under the dining area seat do you think I should switch off from there?
I should have thought any main switch would be easily accessible.

Our main switch is just inside the habitation door - as the sales lady told us, just in the right place to catch it with a shopping bag if you're not careful.

Others I've noticed have been fairly obvious - I suppose I shouldn't have noticed them otherwise :Smile:

Graham

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
The system on my Hymer 'draws' approx. 0.5 amps when the 12v is 'switched off'. I think it is just the Electroblock ? This seems to be a characteristic of other Hymers as far as I know.
I was warned about completely isolating the 12v supply in winter because it would prevent the automatic 'frost' valve on the boiler operating, if the vehicle was still in use.

Roll-on the Revolution!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just done some Googling and found a 2007 handbook on the Swift web site.

Page 49 of the electrical section Link Removed has a paragraph about the on/off switch for the Control Panel:
ON / OFF:
Press this key to turn on the control panel. In stand-by mode (without active controls)
the NE183 control panel with the NE184 control unit consumes a total of approx. 39mA. Hold this key down for over 3 seconds to turn off the control panel, reducing total consumption to just 13.5mA. If the leisure battery voltage drops below 10V for over 2 minutes the control panel turns
itself off.
The bit in bold is my emphasis - looks like there is a constant current draw to maintain the computerised control panel, similar to the Hymer as Sam mentioned.

Graham

OP
OP
bmwtouring

bmwtouring

Free Member
Apr 17, 2008
Uxbridge
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
First Motorhome
GJH, thanks for all your thoughts,
any idea why the 12v system is still working when the NE184 control unit is switched off?
kev

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
GJH, thanks for all your thoughts,
any idea why the 12v system is still working when the NE184 control unit is switched off?
kev

No idea I'm afraid. I think I would be looking for a check from a qualified electrician.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back