110AH Banner Energy Bull, How do I remove the fell filler plugs? (1 Viewer)

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
Help Wanted !!!
I have just bought the above new battery online, and I would like to check the electrolyte levels before I fit it, but I cannot remove the filler plugs. I have tried with a very large screwdriver but they do not want to seem to budge, If I try any harder I'm afraid that I will damage them. Any advice on how to remove them would be more than greatly appreciated.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think the Energy comes in regular wet cell, AGM and Gel which is it?

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
I detect a wind up here :reel:

You're not going to get me :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its sealed maintenance free, so the caps are sonic welded in at manufacture

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
its sealed maintenance free, so the caps are sonic welded in at manufacture

That's why I asked the type. They are not all maintenance free, rather some are low maintenance. They advise using a screwdriver wide enough to fill the full width of the plug.

From the Energy bull handbook instructions

• Low maintenance is secured by minimum water consumption and self-discharge

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if its not sealed, then i use a piece of aluminium bar that fits the slot entirely and a pair of pliers. in emergency before, I have cut an edge off a 2p coin and used pliers to get a cell cap to release

Reactions: Jim

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
if its not sealed, then i use a piece of aluminium bar that fits the slot entirely and a pair of pliers. in emergency before, I have cut an edge off a 2p coin and used pliers to get a cell cap to release
I asked a similar question about 3 years ago. @Terry advised using a 1p coin and pliers and it worked fine.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Damaging a coin in an offense. :whistle: Use a 50p piece. :sneaky:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
heres the relevant offence to which the big one has confessed
And Section 10 of the Coinage Act 1971 says quite categorically (if at some length)...

"Restrictions on melting or breaking of metal coins..

(1)No person shall, except under the authority of a licence granted by the Treasury, melt down or break up any metal coin which is for the time being current in the United Kingdom or which, having been current there, has at any time after 16th May 1969 ceased to be so.

(2)Any person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be liable—

(a)on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £400;

(b)on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or both.

(3)If any condition attached to a licence granted under subsection (1) of this section is contravened or not complied with, the person to whom the licence was granted shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [F1level 5 on the standard scale]unless he proves that the contravention or non-compliance occurred without his consent or connivance and that he exercised all due diligence to prevent it.

(4)The court by or before which any person is convicted of an offence under this section may, whether or not it imposes any other punishment, order the articles in respect of which the offence was committed to be forfeited to Her Majesty.

(5)Where an offence under this section committed by a body corporate is proved to have been committed with the consent or connivance of, or to be attributable to any neglect on the part of, any director, manager, secretary or other similar officer of the body corporate or any person who was purporting to act in any such capacity, he as well as the body corporate shall be guilty of that offence and shall be liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly."

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
To do the job properly you need 600 2p pieces.
Broken Link Removed

However, I used the "extravagent" cheapskates method, a 10p piece!

Oh, and btw it took over 1.5l of water to reach correct level in the cells. If truth be told was a bit surprised that it still holds full(ish) charge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back