Whats a cheap way to get wifi in Europe? (1 Viewer)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We are just back from our France and Germany trip. We had a great time but we sometimes had problems finding a wifi hotspot we could use. This was especially true in Germany where you have to register and provide a German mobile phone number before you can get internet access.

I am thinking we should invest in a mifi unit as we have various laptops, ipad and tablets that we might want to use.

We use the internet just to check emails, bit of surfing and the occasional Skype calls to the family. I have looked at some of the sim only deals available but I don't fancy having a 24 month contract, we won't be using the internet every day so PAYG is probably best.

Any of you Funsters found a cost effective solution? I don't mind £50-£60 upfront cost for the mifi unit but I don't want to pay per month if I am not using the service regularly.

Thanks.

Paul

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Three SIM. Feel at home plan good for many countries. No good for Germany buy you can pick up.a vodaphone one there.

Costs nothing as we have them on cheap contracts anyway.. this why we changed provider

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for that Judge. I have heard Three mentioned several times, seems like a good deal. I am going to order an unlocked Huawei mifi unit and three sim from Amazon.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for that Judge. I have heard Three mentioned several times, seems like a good deal. I am going to order an unlocked Huawei mifi unit and three sim from Amazon.

Paul
I got one of those. It was set up and worked OK in UK but wouldn't in France! However I put the SIM card from it in tablet and it worked fine then just tethered via that. No problem.

Wyn

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I would invest in a mifi unit that can take an aerial like the Netgear Aircard 762s older model (or there is a newer one that does the same). I have one with an aerial that suckers to our roof window and it definitely improves the signal.

Links can be found and battery lasts around 9 hours give or take. Put what ever sim you like in as they come unlocked. I am sure there are cheaper but i tend to stick with what works. I also have a system similar to the iBoost (home made though), this works for wifi signals that are a long way off although you still need to find one of course.

Always shop around though as I am sure they will be cheaper on some other well known online shops.

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks Wyn

I had a bit of a rethink on the sim card front. We won't being going abroad for a few months now so I am going to have a look at prices for data only sims to use in the UK. I suppose the benefit of having an unlocked mifi unit is you can chop and change sim cards depending on where you are etc.

Paul

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I would invest in a mifi unit that can take an aerial like the Netgear Aircard 762s older model (or there is a newer one that does the same). I have one with an aerial that suckers to our roof window and it definitely improves the signal.

Links can be found and battery lasts around 9 hours give or take. Put what ever sim you like in as they come unlocked. I am sure there are cheaper but i tend to stick with what works. I also have a system similar to the iBoost (home made though), this works for wifi signals that are a long way off although you still need to find one of course.

Always shop around though as I am sure they will be cheaper on some other well known online shops.

Thanks zzzzac

I think we are getting wires crossed here maybe, I could be wrong (often am) but I don't think I need an aerial with a 3g mifi unit / sim card combination? I am not aiming to pick up wifi from MacDonalds etc rather use the mifi unit I have in the van connected to the phone network.

Paul

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Yes the links i sent you will improve the 3g/4g signals for the phone part when connecting to any of the mobile networks.

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Motorhome since 1997 Camping since 1990
I have a Netgear Aircard which has an external 4G aerial attached to it which is mounted on the roof. The advantage of this is that it improves the signal being picked up from the Internet provider for your chosen sim card. As @zzzzac has said the performance is enhanced and a friend using this same system in Morocco was able to pick up a signal when others were not.

Colin

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have a Netgear Aircard which has an external 4G aerial attached to it which is mounted on the roof. The advantage of this is that it improves the signal being picked up from the Internet provider for your chosen sim card. As @zzzzac has said the performance is enhanced and a friend using this same system in Morocco was able to pick up a signal when others were not.

Colin
Which aerial did you go for on the external mount?

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I got one of those. It was set up and worked OK in UK but wouldn't in France! However I put the SIM card from it in tablet and it worked fine then just tethered via that. No problem.

Wyn
Recently had the same problem in France with a three mifi. When I got home I found that there was a setting in the mifi unit that you needed to change to allow data roaming. Link to page posted on another thread for 3 in France, I will see if I can find it.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
@zzzzac sounds interesting how about some construction details please. I'm sure many of us would like to build one.

The first one i built was from an old Lynksys Router i had back in the days of Cable, replaced one of the aerial with an external aerial (£15 cost) Router was a WRT54GS (off top of my head). Had to repflash it with some open source firmware but works very well although a bit bulky so decided to look for a smaller solution (still got this one just dont use it now) can post some pics later if you like

Brought the bits separately for the smaller one for a total of just over £80 (list below), probably get them cheaper if you shop around, you can also replace the omni aerial with a directional one (i have both but only use the directional one when i cant get a signal from the omni which at present i havent had to use). The omni aerial is a lot easier to use as you just mount it on the side of the van and leave it, where are the directional one you need to turn until you lock onto the strongest signal but it can also pickup signals a lot further away.

This works fantastically and a lot cheaper than what I could find on the internet.
http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-usbwifirpt-3000.html £47.75
http://www.solwise.co.uk/psu.htm £2.84
http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-usb-rocket-bgn.html £21.71
http://www.solwise.co.uk/networking_sundries_usb_extensions.htm £8.77

You need a basic understanding of Networking i would say i.e IP/DHCP . It works the same way as the iBoost where you connect to a wifi access point and it will then transmit the signal within the van. Connect as many devices as you want wirelessly or there is an option to connect via an ethernet cable (never used).

The closest thing to this is of course is the iBoost from motorohomewifi which is a very well made piece of kit (i brought that as well as needed it to go away last year before i could get the parts for my own which actually came before we left anyway. I sold the iBoost to another funster actually). If you are unsure on how all this stuff works the iBoost is for you, if you are on a tighter budget and know a little about I.T then this can easily be made up using the components listed or others on the internet probably cheaper.

Any questions fire away :)

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Which aerial did you go for on the external mount?

I bought mine from Addie at MotorhomeWifi. I purchased the earlier version of the roof mounting and antenae together with a 12v power supply. All came from Addie. Worth calling him to discuss.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I bought mine from Addie at MotorhomeWifi. I purchased the earlier version of the roof mounting and antenae together with a 12v power supply. All came from Addie. Worth calling him to discuss.
Ah yes i have seen them on his site, i spoke with him around getting one fitted to the MH a few weeks ago but he doesnt cover my area. It is more of a nice to have as what I have works but was interested in what others have to see if any different.
Thanks

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Ah yes i have seen them on his site, i spoke with him around getting one fitted to the MH a few weeks ago but he doesnt cover my area. It is more of a nice to have as what I have works but was interested in what others have to see if any different.
Thanks

I bought it from Addie but had it fitted in Poole, Dorset. I am sure others like Dave Newell would also make a good job.

Deleted User
Recently had the same problem in France with a three mifi. When I got home I found that there was a setting in the mifi unit that you needed to change to allow data roaming. Link to page posted on another thread for 3 in France, I will see if I can find it.

I may be wrong but I am almost certain that this only applies to contract sims, I have been using an unlocked huawei mifi with a 3 PAYG data only sim in the UK, France and Spain for the last 12 months without the need to alter any settings on the mifi.
I bought the mifi from here http://www.motorhomewifi.com/ and have recently bought a stick on aerial for the unit from them.
I would recommend buying from them even though some items may be available cheaper elsewhere as the support is excellent and well worth a little extra.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I may be wrong but I am almost certain that this only applies to contract sims, I have been using an unlocked huawei mifi with a 3 PAYG data only sim in the UK, France and Spain for the last 12 months without the need to alter any settings on the mifi.
I bought the mifi from here http://www.motorhomewifi.com/ and have recently bought a stick on aerial for the unit from them.
I would recommend buying from them even though some items may be available cheaper elsewhere as the support is excellent and well worth a little extra.

I expect motorhomewifi had already allowed roaming on the mifi as by default it is not enabled, or certainly on not the ones I have purchased (Huawei,Netgear,OspreyMini2 etc). I agree they do offer a top notch service including aftersales but if you are short on budget then there are options available.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hello all been reading the thread with interest. Now a sideways question. Will this be necessary in the future as - unless they have silently ditched it - the EU has or had stated that we should be enjoying normal roaming at our home rates from December this year. That alone pobably meands January but.... as it has been very quiet about this since the announcement I think in 2013, has the whole thing been scrapped on the quiet ?

Clive

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Hello all been reading the thread with interest. Now a sideways question. Will this be necessary in the future as - unless they have silently ditched it - the EU has or had stated that we should be enjoying normal roaming at our home rates from December this year. That alone pobably meands January but.... as it has been very quiet about this since the announcement I think in 2013, has the whole thing been scrapped on the quiet ?

Clive
The last i heard it had been watered down and not coming in till mid 2017 at the earliest. I hope it does though

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Paul

Why not change your phone provider..then use abroad costs nothing over your basic monthly tariff in many countries

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back