Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Hi,

Very new to all this but would like to try a touch of wild camping. One thing comes to mind though ...

What do you do with your black waste when wild camping for more than one night?

Thanks

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
When out and about, I take a shovel (y) Being a member of the C and CC you can empty your black waste for a small fee apparently, but never needed to yet. :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The obvious answer is to use a site/rally/whatever with proper disposal facilities at least as often as the cassette needs emptying. If the "touch of wild camping" does not allow that then I would suggest that it needs touching up (in a revising sort of way) :LOL:

OP
OP
John and Jo
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
The obvious answer is to use a site/rally/whatever with proper disposal facilities :LOL:
Not obvious to me as my idea of wild is with no facilities and in (my limited) experience the cassette only last 2 days max. Just wondered what people did in this situation.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont be tempted to just pee behind a bush and only use the cassette for solids all the time. you will need a tap to break down the build up of poo and flush it out. at least the urine content will keep any solids floating.

emptying a cassette containing predominantly solids is not a pleasant job. not that it is at other times, just far worse

if you plan being off grid for more than a couple of days, buy a second cassette

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That's not a bad idea. Cheers.

Not really because sooner or later the problem, now twice as big, needs to be solved.

I bought a folding spade 7 years ago but so far have never needed to use it.

Have you tried "wild camping" yet ? We've had very limited success. We did find a nice spot on Sky once but I think a road drill would have been needed to dig a hole. Then again a few say how good it is but usually it's not true wild camping and emptying the cassette is a question of lifting a manhole cover.

Next - how do I get fresh water and how long will my battery last ?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not obvious to me as my idea of wild is with no facilities and in (my limited) experience the cassette only last 2 days max. Just wondered what people did in this situation.
As I said, use a site/rally/whatever with proper disposal facilities at least as often as the cassette needs emptying. There is no other way of emptying the cassette without polluting wherever you are emptying it to. Emptying a cassette direct to land or drains is not only unacceptable in that it gets us all a bad name, it is also illegal. It might be nice to think one can camp without using an sites but when that is incompatible with responsible waste management then a compromise has to be struck.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have a black tank for toilet waste and have the relative luxury of 120 litres of storage, if needed, allowing us to use a good mix of off site and on site, typically 2 days wilding should be ample to comply with the 'rules', it is not intended as a long term option

We also carry a cassette so we can decant from black tank in emergency or if we cant access a drive over dump point

My vote goes for the second cassette to reduce any need to hold in what needs to come out :D and look to use sites and wild alternately (y) certainly to empty cassette when ever you get the chance, in Scotland virtually all the ferry terminals have a dump point that can be accessed even if not travelling (y)(y) particularly useful on the Outer Hebrides :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one point to remember, and its been a problem locally, the gulleys at the side of roads are often not connected to the main sewers. We get a fair few motorhomes free loading (as opposed to real wild camping) and tipping black waste in inapropriate places like roadside gullies and digging holes in the beach. that is a major reason for new banning orders.

you could always do what certain parts of the travelling community do, and just tip it in hedges or rivers etc

OP
OP
John and Jo
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
well thanks guys ...I'll ponder on it ...still like the second cassette idea though.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I carry a second cassette but only needed it once so far, but this year I have found quite a few portaloos beside road works/ lay-bys and building sites, obviously I would only use if easily accessible and with permission if people were around:D I use no chemical so no problem with cesspit,
My cassette fits into a rucksack so you could easily walk into any public WCs if needed without rousing suspicions by the anti camping brigade,
I also carry a radar key in case they are locked but making sure it's left cleaner than when I arrived,

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
dont be tempted to just pee behind a bush and only use the cassette for solids all the time. you will need a tap to break down the build up of poo and flush it out. at least the urine content will keep any solids floating.

emptying a cassette containing predominantly solids is not a pleasant job. not that it is at other times, just far worse

if you plan being off grid for more than a couple of days, buy a second cassette
So what your saying is a reversal....only pee in the cassette.:whistle:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If I'm doing a few nights wild camping, I use a 5 or 10 litre water bottle to pee in.

This is easier to get rid of than black waste.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Folding shovel

Broken Link Removed

Don't bear's crap in the woods :)

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 12
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
When wild camping we use a a small garden spray pump to wash the toilet down rather than using the flush -saves a bit on water too. Makes emptying the cassette a little harder but not that difficult. Give it a try -I never fancied having a second cassette sloshing around in my van(y)

Apr 9, 2015
šŸ‡µšŸ‡¹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
I'm interested to hear more about @TUCANO's experience of using c and cc sites facilities for a small fee. I tried this tactic with the caravan club - no deal :(
I'd be more than happy to part with say a fiver to dispose of my black waste and top up on fresh water and you'd think caravan club would be grateful for the extra revenue but apparently not!
We've adapted our toilet habits and can last for longer now than when we first started but fresh water is something we still need to work on.
Anyone have any ideas on how to source this when wild camping?

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
The C and CC charge Ā£7-50 to let you dump your waste and take on fresh water, the reason I decided to join after leaving the CC.
Whilst wild camping I have had fresh water from a garden centre, free after asking and also free from a private site also after asking.
I buy bottled water for drinking as I don't like the taste from the onboard tank.
Norman.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
well thanks guys ...I'll ponder on it ...still like the second cassette idea though.
A second cassette = peace of mind in our book and we have a purpose built fiamma storage box for it which we've fitted in the garage. Not something you want rolling around ;)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just checked the C&CC website and the motorhome stop-off fee is now Ā£7.10 for club members. For that you can dump grey and black waste, fill with fresh water and use all the site's facilities for up to three hours. So good for showers, washing, WiFi etc. N.B. grey waste dump may depend on whether the site has a motorhome service point. Some do not and usually ask you to spread grey waste around the borders.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
The C & CC fee allows access to all their facilities for a limited period. You could therefore shower or do your laundry as well as deal with your water & waste. We found this very handy when touring round Scotland a few years back, and only had about 3/4 nights actually on a site in the 2 weeks we were away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back