Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
I am in the market for a car trailer to trailer my 2015 Fiat 500. We purchased it with the intention of either A framing it or trailering it. I have read the recent lengthy thread regarding A frames and I am leaning towards a trailer for long term legality more than anything, and perhaps using it abroad with peace of mind. Of course the downside is that I have to store the trailer when not in use but my main concern is storing it onsite, mainly at Caravan Club sites.

I have been looking online at various companies who supply trailers specifically for motorhomes and was quite impressed with smart-trailers.co.uk (although expensive) and was wondering if any fun members have purchased one of their trailers and how they got along with it. Specifically I watched this video..

I quite liked its compact size especially with my storage concerns.
How do other users store their trailers on sites? Can you use the trailer as a parking space? By that I mean, can you uncouple it from the motorhome and drive the car onto it thereby only taking up one space?

Are there any other companies you would recommend or could offer any other advice? Also let me know if you have a similar compact trailer you wish to sell.

Cheers Mike:)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I am in the market for a car trailer to trailer my 2015 Fiat 500. We purchased it with the intention of either A framing it or trailering it. I have read the recent lengthy thread regarding A frames and I am leaning towards a trailer for long term legality more than anything, and perhaps using it abroad with peace of mind. Of course the downside is that I have to store the trailer when not in use but my main concern is storing it onsite, mainly at Caravan Club sites.

I have been looking online at various companies who supply trailers specifically for motorhomes and was quite impressed with smart-trailers.co.uk (although expensive) and was wondering if any fun members have purchased one of their trailers and how they got along with it. Specifically I watched this video..

I quite liked its compact size especially with my storage concerns.
How do other users store their trailers on sites? Can you use the trailer as a parking space? By that I mean, can you uncouple it from the motorhome and drive the car onto it thereby only taking up one space?

Are there any other companies you would recommend or could offer any other advice? Also let me know if you have a similar compact trailer you wish to sell.

Cheers Mike:)

Looks like it could do with another set of wheels to me. A puncture could easily lead to disaster. Must be over a ton on those small wheels, I would take a wide birth if I was passing one like that.

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
Phoenix trailers seem good, I have enquired if they can adapt their car trailer to also carry two motorcycles, not at the same time as a car, and they seem very helpful and have good reviews

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
can you uncouple it from the motorhome and drive the car onto it thereby only taking up one space?

@M1ke

I have seen motorhomers do this on CC sites many times.

I don't currently tow a trailer but it was in the back of my mind when purchasing my motorhome so I had a draw bar factory-fitted.

Stef.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
@M1ke

I don't currently tow a trailer but it was in the back of my mind when purchasing my motorhome so I had a draw bar factory-fitted.

Stef.

Recently done the same with advance fit of a tow bar, and for the same reasons as the OP regarding 'A' frame issues. We have seen a few towing smart cars on trailers on club sites, and one we chatted to was changing his trailer because of issues getting it on and off his existing trailer.

He also said they were not the easiest things to get in and out of once on the trailer due to mobility issues he had especially when wet. That was one of the things I noticed on this video, it only shows driving on, and it's on a solid surface in the dry. It would be nice to hear from those with experience of pros and cons of car on trailer use.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
@M1ke

Stef.

havent heard it called that for a while, must be an age thing:)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I use a Brian James Bantam trailer to carry a Smart car. I've only had it for about 14 months and it was a bit of an impulse purchase but now I wouldn't be without it. Loading & lashing takes less than 10 minutes as does unloading. The Smart door clears the trailer mudguard easily so apart from stepping over the mudguard when leaving the car parking on the trailer is as easy as parking on the ground. However more times than not I've been able to leave the trailer hitched whilst on site - there's often plenty of room behind a pitch. One of the best things about having the car is the ability to shop for essentials (food 'n' booze) after siting the van. No more trying to find a supermarket en route - simply pitch up, have a brew, then pop down to the nearest source of essentials. If, on the odd occasion it's necessary to park on the trailer, stepping from car to ground is a problem my trailer did come equipped with a winch. I've removed the winch but it could equally easily have been replaced with an electric version.

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, why not try hedley trailers. They offer one model tilt bed £1600 for cars up to 1700kg. Pulls great euro cert. I have no connection with the company, just satisfied customer.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Phoenix trailers seem good, I have enquired if they can adapt their car trailer to also carry two motorcycles, not at the same time as a car, and they seem very helpful and have good reviews
I have recently bought a trailer from Phoenix it's a very good trailer well built we put our 4x4 Fiat Panda on it, tows really well.
They can make trailer to the size you require and are very helpful ours was £1795 and delivered to my home,comes with spare wheel and hitch lock.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I would not be put off by the trailer only having two wheels , I used to tow a 1.5 ton boat on a two wheel trailer and when I had a flat tyre there was no loss of control.
The advantage of having two wheels over four is that the trailer is much more manueverable , 4 wheel trailers have a crabbing effect

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I have travelled over ten thousand trouble free miles with a Williams ct115 single axle trailer in tow, carrying a new shape ford ka (fiat 500 in drag).
I would highly recommend it for build quality, manoeuvrability on or off tow and yes you can easily use it as a parking space.
I have stayed on all kinds of places throughout Europe and have only ever got into one tight spot which I won't go into...:whistle:

OP
OP
M1ke

M1ke

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Tracker FB
Exp
5 years
I have travelled over ten thousand trouble free miles with a Williams ct115 single axle trailer in tow, carrying a new shape ford ka (fiat 500 in drag).
I would highly recommend it for build quality, manoeuvrability on or off tow and yes you can easily use it as a parking space.
I have stayed on all kinds of places throughout Europe and have only ever got into one tight spot which I won't go into...:whistle:

Do you happen to remember who you bought it from?

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I will in a minute or two, not a million miles from Huntingdon.

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Woodford is another manufacturer worthy of a look. I recently bought one their Smart trailers second hand from a motorhomer who was giving up the pastime - less than a year old for a giveaway price.

Well built, no difficulties getting the Smarty on or off and no issues with getting myself out of the car once on the trailer ( trailer spare wheel on passenger side)

Quite possibly the best motorhome "accessory" I've bought! :)

David

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
havent heard it called that for a while, must be an age thing:)
Thats because its incorrect terminology.

A drawbar is the part attached to a trailer which in turn is connected to the TOWBAR.

A drawbar could be a straight bar or A frame

draw_bar_fuel_tank_trailer_for_tanzania_and_ethiopia.jpg

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Do you happen to remember who you bought it from?

If I'm not mistaken it was Barnwell trailers. From memory everything needed including security came less than 2k

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What sort of tow ball weight do these trailers have, looks like it would be quite high when loaded with a front engined car.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Mine sits in a comfortable position with about 90kg nose weight, probably to much for the little old kon tiki 600 but it looks fine and doesn't raise eyebrows!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Nose weight is very important,too much and could be overloading rear axle also damaging chassis,too little and could be lifting rear end making whole thing unstable.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
One thing to watch out for when buying a trailer is the payload it can carry just in case you are stopped and weighed anytime apart from the obvious safety issues.
I have just bought a Brain James trailer to take our Citroën C1 to Spain but although the car only weighs 850kg the trailer is plated at 1500kg with a payload of 1050kg. This means that I can also carry the bikes on the trailer A Frame together with things inside the car.

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Each to their own, but we soon got fed up towing our Smarty. Loading and unloading not a real issue although you had to be careful if it was wet! We enjoyed it to a certain extent and there was the added freedom of exploring in the car, but getting home and unloading was always a chore! We have down sized now and are really enjoying the freedom that having a smaller van gives! We started many years ago with a VW, so I guess what goes around comes around.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back