Motorhomes Overnight Ban at Colwyn Bay (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
More of the same...:(

MOTORHOME and caravan owners have slammed a county council over its decision to impose an overnight ban on vehicles along Colwyn Bay promenade.

Following complaints from councillors and residents, Conwy County Council imposed a ban from 11pm to 8am, and the news has been greeted with anger from motorhome owners.

Nigel Wignall, of GoExplore Motorhome Hire in Conwy, said there were no actual caravan sites in Colwyn Bay and the majority of places nearby do not cater for one-night stays.

He said: “The council should be patting themselves on their back for the great work carried out on the prom that is attracting holidaymakers back to Colwyn Bay - not banning them.

“Most sites in North Wales at this time of year have a three-night minimum stay, which is no good for the average motorhome user.

“Rather than ban the motorhomes, they should embrace them and set a designated area for them like all other European countries do.”

An online poll conducted by the Pioneer found 80 per cent of people polled were opposed to the ban, with just 20 per cent in support of the restrictions.

The move has been backed by the Bay of Colwyn Town Council, which recommended in February a ban on motorhomes parking along the promenade from midnight to 8am.

Motorhome owner Hilary Woodjetts, said: “I don’t want to stay on a site for a protracted length of time where I am shackled to a particular area that I might not enjoy.

“But if I manage to find somewhere to park overnight, while I am there, I will spend my tourist pounds in the vicinity if I have decided to stay during part of the day as well.

“The antipathy and outright prejudice towards motorhome and caravan owners in this country is why so many go to France.

"Conwy council have taken Wales off the map for many people.”

from http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we some times stayed there and we were planning a trip around wales for a week this still wont put us off but it is very short sited of them just makes things a bit harder
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When this Broken Link Removed I contacted Conwy Council to point out the fallacy of Councillor Squire's comment that the ban "could also aid businesses in the region".

The reply I received (from an officer who has been helpful in the past but obviously has to follow the instructions of her political masters) was:
Thank you for taking the time to write in with your comments regarding the situation with motorhome and caravan parking in the area. I shall forward your email to the Traffic Section in order for them to consider these points in relation to the temporary traffic order that has been introduced.
I'm afraid that we do not currently encourage any form of overnight camping on-street and at any of the Council's off-street car parks. Those looking for suitable location for an overnight stay are advised to contact the local campsites, where there are suitable facilities on offer.

It is perhaps worth noting that the prohibition is only for overnight which does not prevent the parking of motorhomes and caravans during the hours of 8:00am and 10:00pm, this in recognition that these types of vehicles are often used for conventional use.
I wrote back:
I realise that the council does not currently encourage any form of overnight camping on-street and at any of the Council's off-street car parks.

I was trying to make the point that many of those who are displaced by the overnight prohibition will not use any of the local caravan parks because they are too remote from town centres. Thus, Councillor Squire's assumption that the prohibition will automatically mean increased business for caravan parks displays a lack of knowledge of reality.

In fact, the likelihood is that not only will business for caravan parks not increase, the level of business enjoyed by the likes of cafes, restaurants, pubs and other enterprises will probably be decreased because people are not close enough to use them in the evenings. That is why I suggested that it may be to the advantage of the local area for the council to revisit its policy and, perhaps, identify one or more car parks where it can follow the successful example set by Powys and Fylde.
Unfortunately it appears that, yet again, a few have spoilt things for the many and, whilst people like Councillor Squire do not understand the difference between motorhomes and caravans, there is little likelihood of any aire type facility being created in Colwyn Bay.

I don't now the area (it's something like 50 years since I was there) but if any local residents do know of any car parks which are suitable for allowing overnighting then they might be able to make a case to Conwy Council.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Have just come back from 3 weeks in France/Italy/Switzerland and Slovenia and it really makes you realize how anti Motorhomes are here in the UK, France to me is the Mecca of Motorhomes and camping - always somewhere to stop and pull over for the night or just a rest, some/many have toilets/water/grey waste an some even have leccy - yet over here no one seems to want you here for any longer than a couple of hours and thats on our Motorways where you always see the signs "Dont Drive While Your Tired" yet they want to fleece you for it at the same time.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Clacton is the same........
Yes, but unlike some places most people have no desire to stay overnight there parked up on the seafront. ;) No decent campsites locally though, so you have a point.

Lived there in H-o S for 14 years and it was the pits when we left in 1980 and has got even worse.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have just come back from 3 weeks in France/Italy/Switzerland and Slovenia and it really makes you realize how anti Motorhomes are here in the UK, France to me is the Mecca of Motorhomes and camping - always somewhere to stop and pull over for the night or just a rest, some/many have toilets/water/grey waste an some even have leccy - yet over here no one seems to want you here for any longer than a couple of hours and thats on our Motorways where you always see the signs "Dont Drive While Your Tired" yet they want to fleece you for it at the same time.
There are over 4000 places to pull in for a rest of more than a couple of hours in the UK. They are called CLs and CSs. If it is just a rest that is required then location close to town centres isn't all that important. There are plenty of 5 van sites close to major roads and (unlike HGV drivers for instance) we all have the freedom to plan our trips so that we don't over tire ourselves.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There are over 4000 places to pull in for a rest of more than a couple of hours in the UK. They are called CLs and CSs. If it is just a rest that is required then location close to town centres isn't all that important. There are plenty of 5 van sites close to major roads and (unlike HGV drivers for instance) we all have the freedom to plan our trips so that we don't over tire ourselves.
That suggestion is so far removed from the real world I don't know what to say. :) I can just imagined the chaos created by driving into a boggy field in December.

So much different here in France where I am at the moment. I know you don't come here, but you should come and see. It would open your eyes.:)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That suggestion is so far removed from the real world I don't know what to say. :) I can just imagined the chaos created by driving into a boggy field in December.

So much different here in France where I am at the moment. I know you don't come here, but you should come and see. It would open your eyes.:)
So don't plan on using a CL that is likely to be a boggy field then. As I said we all have the freedom to plan our trips. What is wrong with people taking responsibility for themselves?

I don't need to go to France to see what is there because I've read plenty. France has about 60% more motorhomes than the UK has for a similar population and is a transit route for foreign motorhomes as well so it's hardly surprising that the country should be more disposed to providing aires.

This sort of comment about France appears on all similar threads to this one - but how many commentators actually do something about aires in the UK instead of expecting somebody else to do it for them?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
So don't plan on using a CL that is likely to be a boggy field then. As I said we all have the freedom to plan our trips. What is wrong with people taking responsibility for themselves?

I don't need to go to France to see what is there because I've read plenty. France has about 60% more motorhomes than the UK has for a similar population and is a transit route for foreign motorhomes as well so it's hardly surprising that the country should be more disposed to providing aires.

This sort of comment about France appears on all similar threads to this one - but how many commentators actually do something about aires in the UK instead of expecting somebody else to do it for them?

I have contacted Poole Council regarding the possibility of setting up an aire in Baiter Park, the motorhome parking is already there as are the water and loos. I have said that they could use it as an income generator by charging for overnight parking. It also might stop some of the travelling community parking there during the summer months. #notanimby

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have contacted Poole Council regarding the possibility of setting up an aire in Baiter Park, the motorhome parking is already there as are the water and loos. I have said that they could use it as an income generator by charging for overnight parking. It also might stop some of the travelling community parking there during the summer months. #notanimby
Good for you. Hope you are successful.

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
I agree with the premise of the above, but based on our own experiences I can't agree with the figures. If you say that more CLs/CS's close between Oct and April than stay open, we are left with less than 2000. If you discount the Grass Only sites you will be down to Hundreds. We use our M/H all year and it becomes an increasing problem. Both Clubs close most sites in winter and the number of Councils putting up the M/H not welcome signs grows. We will continue to spend time and money where we believe we are welcome and increasingly this will be outside the U.K.
Cheers
Bernie

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree with the premise of the above, but based on our own experiences I can't agree with the figures. If you say that more CLs/CS's close between Oct and April than stay open, we are left with less than 2000. If you discount the Grass Only sites you will be down to Hundreds. We use our M/H all year and it becomes an increasing problem. Both Clubs close most sites in winter and the number of Councils putting up the M/H not welcome signs grows. We will continue to spend time and money where we believe we are welcome and increasingly this will be outside the U.K.
Cheers
Bernie
OK, I accept that some sites close over winter. I don't actually know the figures though. It might be interesting to find out.

I'm interested in the statement "the number of Councils putting up the M/H not welcome signs grows". In the last 9 years the number of councils which provide daytime parking for motorhomes has actually increased. Restrictions on camping on street and in car parks have only been implemented in response to problems caused for other people.

EDIT. I checked on the CC web site and just over 1500 of approximately 2500 CLs are open all year. It isn't possible to do a similar blanket search on the C&CC site but if it is a similar proportion that would be about 900.

Last edited:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We tend to stay on Sites/CL's/Aires in or near villages or towns so that we can walk or cycle to shops/pubs/restaurants.
In France this is just so easy whilst in UK it is not!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
yes.. but only 706 of these have hard standing suitable for motorhomes..

650 also have an EHU
Strange Jim. My search of Open All Year & Suitable for Motorhomes returned over 1500.
the use of cl/cs also entails membership of a club which not all of us want join
The use of French aires entail crossing the channel which not all of us want to do :)
We tend to stay on Sites/CL's/Aires in or near villages or towns so that we can walk or cycle to shops/pubs/restaurants.
In France this is just so easy whilst in UK it is not!
We found it pretty easy in the UK this year, as usual. See the links in Broken Link Removed :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I shall try to contain my profound grief at not being able to stop overnight in Colwyn Bay.

For me it's always been somewhere I drive through (at a steady 50mph) on my way to somewhere else that's more interesting.

We used a CL for the first time earlier this year - it wasn't bad but we had to book it in advance and there were only 5 pitches. I wouldn't fancy touring on that basis. We spent three weeks touring a wide swathe of France in late August and found a pitch on every aire we turned up at - a few were just MH tolerant parking spots, but there was no hassle.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It's a debatable point I suppose :)

indeed..

don't get me wrong Graham, I actually prefer a camp site (Cl) to an aire.. a good CL is hard to beat..

I like having a proper pitch and being able to sit out, have a barbie etc etc.. we use CLs for most of out UK touring.. and don't mind paying £10 -£15 for a pitch ..

Our last trip to Wales we only used CLs and enjoyed them.. two had hard standings .. one didn't.. but it was fine weather and the ground was well drained.. (so the owner assured me.. :LOL:)

but honestly, in winter if there is no hard standing I won't even try to use a CL .. been there, done that, been towed out on more than on occasion.. You arrive in fine weather and think great...then there is a downpour and that nice green pitch suddenly becomes a bog.. before you know you are axle deep in mud trying to get out..

Wales trip CLs ..

DSCF1946.JPG

DSCF1947.JPG

DSCF2024.JPG

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Graham, I think the problem is most motorhomers don't have enough years left to change the attitudes of Local Authorities............. in fact I don't think my kids or their kids, when they have them............. have enough years:(

So off to France, Spain, Germany.......Europe we will go..................(y)

:)

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000

Yes Graham, that is fine for UK residents, but it is not easy for the few of us who are expats trying to organise visits to the UK and wanting one- or two-night stops (very) close to places of interest. I have participated in, or helped organise "rallies" here in France where sections of edge-of-town centre car parks have been reserved just for our use to enable us to visit places of interest in the town on consecutive days. Yes, I know it would not be to everybody's liking to be parked up for the night in a town car park. In other places, we have been given the use of a municipal minibus to aid us in getting about. Just two examples.

I know you prefer to stay within the UK for your excursions, but what I have described shows that there is a vast difference in attitude towards motorhome users between local authorities in France and the UK.

J

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
indeed..

don't get me wrong Graham, I actually prefer a camp site (Cl) to an aire.. a good CL is hard to beat..

I like having a proper pitch and being able to sit out, have a barbie etc etc.. we use CLs for most of out UK touring.. and don't mind paying £10 -£15 for a pitch ..

Our last trip to Wales we only used CLs and enjoyed them.. two had hard standings .. one didn't.. but it was fine weather and the ground was well drained.. (so the owner assured me.. :LOL:)

but honestly, in winter if there is no hard standing I won't even try to use a CL .. been there, done that, been towed out on more than on occasion.. You arrive in fine weather and think great...then there is a downpour and that nice green pitch suddenly becomes a bog.. before you know you are axle deep in mud trying to get out..

Wales trip CLs ..

View attachment 75764

View attachment 75765
View attachment 75766
Yes Jim, I take your point re CL holidays in general. However, the specific point I was addressing in this thread was a place for an overnight rest stop, which doesn't need being able to sit out, have a barbie etc etc.
Graham, I think the problem is most motorhomers don't have enough years left to change the attitudes of Local Authorities............. in fact I don't think my kids or their kids, when they have them............. have enough years:(

So off to France, Spain, Germany.......Europe we will go..................(y)
:)
No Vic, most motorhomers who claim to want aires simply don't want to get of their backsides and put some effort in.
Yes Graham, that is fine for UK residents, but it is not easy for the few of us who are expats trying to organise visits to the UK and wanting one- or two-night stops (very) close to places of interest. I have participated in, or helped organise "rallies" here in France where sections of edge-of-town centre car parks have been reserved just for our use to enable us to visit places of interest in the town on consecutive days. Yes, I know it would not be to everybody's liking to be parked up for the night in a town car park. In other places, we have been given the use of a municipal minibus to aid us in getting about. Just two examples.

I know you prefer to stay within the UK for your excursions, but what I have described shows that there is a vast difference in attitude towards motorhome users between local authorities in France and the UK.

J
The locations for the rallies you describe are similar to several we've been on, taking place on private property (e.g. Skipton Auction Mart, National Coal Mining Museum).

Nobody is denying that there is a difference between France and the UK. The reasons why different systems have developed have been posted often enough. The reason why they stay the same is that there is insufficient demand for change so no good reason for councils to divert resources in that direction.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There are over 4000 places to pull in for a rest of more than a couple of hours in the UK. They are called CLs and CSs.

Yes Jim, I take your point re CL holidays in general. However, the specific point I was addressing in this thread was a place for an overnight rest stop,

It was you who suggested CLs as overnight stopping places,... not me..

I was simply agreeing with you .. the first photo shows a CL just off the M4.. ideal for an overnight stop.. far nicer and at only a fiver, cheaper than a MSA ..

Reactions: GJH

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I think local authorities have to get something out of developing aire style parking places and the selling point has to be income generation for the council with fees paid by motorhomes for overnight parking

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think local authorities have to get something out of developing aire style parking places and the selling point has to be income generation for the council with fees paid by motorhomes for overnight parking
Exactly (or extra income for the area in general). Too few people are prepared to make such a case though, either because they can't be bothered or because such a case is not possible to make in many places.
Instead we get silly petitions trying to "compel" councils to create aires all over the country when it is well known that the vast majority of locations would generate no more business than Guisborough did.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
No Vic, most motorhomers who claim to want aires simply don't want to get of their backsides and put some effort in.

Individual attempts to change things will have little chance of success.

Change has to come from the top........ The Tourist Board? if there is such a thing

Individuals will have to contend with local public opposition, individual camp site owners and of course the Caravan Club and CC&C............

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Have you given any thought for the many tax and rate paying official empty campsites in your town. Poole is a popular motorhoming area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back