LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We're off to Scotland beginning August with 10 year old grandson on board.:roflmto:
Does anyone know of any good / safe wild camping spots near:-

a) Loch Garten - for the RSPB site and the Strathspey steam railway.
b) Loch Ness - for things to do with Nessie!!
c) Fort William - for the Fort William to Mallaig Steam Train.

Any tips would be MOST welcome!!:roflmto::roflmto:

Cheers
Marie
:ROFLMAO:

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
wild camping

hi
there is a nice wild camping spot at the Bridge of orchy on the road to Fort William before crossing Rannock Moor. Turn left at the bridge of Orchy pub,over the bridge,
gravelled area straight in front, where west highland way path crosses, we spent the night there last year, dined by the side of the river on the picnic tables, then the men took the very short walk to the pub, not far to stagger back. Watch where you park in Fort William, we parked in a lorry bay as all caravan spaces were taken up by cars, popped in Morrisons came back 20 mins later to find we had a parking ticket for being in the wrong bay, incidently there were 2 of us parked nose to tail in one lorry bay, and all other lorry bays were empty.

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
We're off to Scotland beginning August with 10 year old grandson on board.:roflmto:

Cheers
Marie

Hi Marie,

Have a look at Link Removed you should find a few spots there.:thumb:

Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Penelope, hope you are well.

Our experience with wild camping in Escosse is that during the winter months, no problems::bigsmile: however the wardens can be a bit more enforcefull in the summer months.

Im sure you will find some decent places though. :Smile:

Aug 27, 2008
Stirling, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Ft Bill

Hi

North face car park (behind the ben) is well used for overnighting. Its a large car park so you should get your own corner. Head out of Ft Bill on the A82. Turn right at Torlundy, head over the 1 way bridge and take a right down a dirt track shortly after.

Alternatively... Head onwards to the war memorial past Spean Bridge. Take a left here, and you'll find plenty of wee spots a few miles down the road. Basically, head in the direction of Loch Arkaig (narrow road when you get lochside, prob not suitable for a big van). Glen Loy (south of loch Arkaig) is another possibility.

I have seen plenty of vans overnighting on the large laybys by the side of Loch Lochy also. Its poss to get a reasonable distance from the road and wake to lochside views.

Nigel

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
wild camp sites in scotland

Hi pen,

i hope you can access the attachment, its in Word format so will just open. all the places for wild camping with directions !

Link Removed

Hope its OK!

patrick

Last edited:
R

robincaz

Deleted User
Loch Ness camping

If you head along the Nessy trail road there is a Forestry commision place called Dalcrag. It sits parallel to the river and has 4 or 5 wide individual bays. It's also set down from the road which is fairly quiet. We stopped here for 2 nights in August of last year and nobody asked us to move on, in fact, it was pretty quiet most of the time and we had it to ourselves on the second night. Of course, abide rules like not dumping waste and leave the place tidy, but I doubt I needed to tell you that really....
:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you head along the Nessy trail road there is a Forestry commision place called Dalcrag. It sits parallel to the river and has 4 or 5 wide individual bays. It's also set down from the road which is fairly quiet. We stopped here for 2 nights in August of last year and nobody asked us to move on, in fact, it was pretty quiet most of the time and we had it to ourselves on the second night. Of course, abide rules like not dumping waste and leave the place tidy, but I doubt I needed to tell you that really....
:thumb:

Serious question as overnight camping is not allowed on any Forestry Commission land.

Is it OK to
abide rules like not dumping waste and leave the place tidy
whilst ignoring the no camping rules or does that invite a ban on all motorhome parking on the grounds that some might stop overnight and not leave the place tidy?

Such bans have happened in some places. Should we not be respecting the regulations whilst working constructively to show that they should be relaxed as they are unnecessarily strict?

Graham

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Serious question as overnight camping is not allowed on any Forestry Commission land.
Graham
That all depends on who you speak to Graham.

Few years back when i was touring Scotland for the first time with a small caravan, i found myself on Forestry Commission land and asked a Forestry guy parked up in a Land Rover if i could stay overnight. His reply was a very welcoming "no problem as long as it's only one night."

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That all depends on who you speak to Graham.

Few years back when i was touring Scotland for the first time with a small caravan, i found myself on Forestry Commission land and asked a Forestry guy parked up in a Land Rover if i could stay overnight. His reply was a very welcoming "no problem as long as it's only one night."

The official position is on the Forestry Commission web site Link Removed. They make a point of saying "REMEMBER - Wild camping is not allowed".

I would guess that the guy you spoke to either didn't know the rules - typical of many people working for many organisations :Smile: - or wasn't bothered - again typical of many people working for many organisations :Smile:

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would guess that the guy you spoke to either didn't know the rules - typical of many people working for many organisations :Smile: - or wasn't bothered - again typical of many people working for many organisations :Smile:

Or maybe just a nice friendly Jock :winky:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
- for the Fort William to Mallaig Steam Train.

Cheers
Marie

Tip from me is be carefull about just turning up on spec for the train. It get VERY busy at ALL times of year and caught ffi and i out last year. Had to go back the next day cos that day was sold out!
Worth going back tho'.:thumb: I've been on steam railways up and down the country and IMHO, the Mallaig line is one of, if not the, best line in the country. The engines are worked extremely hard and the scenery is absolutely SPECTACULAR!!!!!!:thumb:::bigsmile:
Luckily for us, although we had seats, we managed to get the corridor end door windows to ourselves in the first carriage. Took some clear cycling glasses with us and had our heads out of the window all the way there and back (not something I'd recomend for your grand kids-you have to be on your toes to miss the bushes!).
At the risk of sounding a TOTAL anorack, it was probably one of the most exciting days out of my life. A living, breathing fire spitting monster just feet away from my face, pounding through the incredible scenery, an amazing day! We both came back covered in soot and grime and grinning like maniacs!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As far as Mallaig goes, if you want lunch whilst your there, the fish restaurants in the center are OK.........but no more than that. VERY touristy and rather expensive for what they are. A better bet ( IMHO) is one of the pubs in the side road (children welcome). From memory, oposite the biggest fish restaurant in the centre is a small corner supermarket, at the side of which is a side street going up hill. Walk 100 yards up there and on the left is a white washed pub (wish I could remember the name). ffi and I had a lovelly meal in there at a very reasonable price and without jossling shoulder to shoulder with all the tourists on the front:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Tip from me is be carefull about just turning up on spec for the train. It get VERY busy at ALL times of year and caught ffi and i out last year. Had to go back the next day cos that day was sold out!
Worth going back tho'.:thumb: I've been on steam railways up and down the country and IMHO, the Mallaig line is one of, if not the, best line in the country. The engines are worked extremely hard and the scenery is absolutely SPECTACULAR!!!!!!:thumb:::bigsmile:
Luckily for us, although we had seats, we managed to get the corridor end door windows to ourselves in the first carriage. Took some clear cycling glasses with us and had our heads out of the window all the way there and back (not something I'd recomend for your grand kids-you have to be on your toes to miss the bushes!).
At the risk of sounding a TOTAL anorack, it was probably one of the most exciting days out of my life. A living, breathing fire spitting monster just feet away from my face, pounding through the incredible scenery, an amazing day! We both came back covered in soot and grime and grinning like maniacs!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

As far as Mallaig goes, if you want lunch whilst your there, the fish restaurants in the center are OK.........but no more than that. VERY touristy and rather expensive for what they are. A better bet ( IMHO) is one of the pubs in the side road (children welcome). From memory, oposite the biggest fish restaurant in the centre is a small corner supermarket, at the side of which is a side street going up hill. Walk 100 yards up there and on the left is a white washed pub (wish I could remember the name). ffi and I had a lovelly meal in there at a very reasonable price and without jossling shoulder to shoulder with all the tourists on the front:thumb:

Thanks everyone for all your advice - we actually did the trip last August!:roflmto::roflmto:
We stayed at a site in Boat of Garten for Loch Garten - amazing to see the osprey chicks.:thumb: We also did the Strathspey Railway which was excellent.:thumb:
Another site was at Borlum Farm, Drumnadrochit. Jake ( grandson) had a horse riding lesson there!:thumb: Went NEssie hunting out on the loch too!
Then we stayed at Glen Nevis. Got the train to Mallaig - dead right Zaskar it's an amazing trip. :thumb::thumb: Jake managed to wangle his way on to the footplate at both Mallaig and Fort William stations!
Got to say though it wasn't as exciting as the trip we did on the Severn Valley Railway last May when Rex did a Footplate Experience 2 day course and actually DROVE the train - THAT WAS EXCITING!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

F

fcranger

Deleted User
I don't think it is a case of people not knowing the rules. I know the rules...wild camping is not allowed, however if someone asked me if they could, I would use my descretion to say yes or no. If I don't think they will cause a problem or leave litter etc, I would probably allow it. That's me from a FC rangers point of view.

Even through we are a government department, I am proud that the FC rangers, especially where i work are knowledgable, not people who don't know the rules and happy to help. However, I acknowledge rules are there for a reason and to that end I have moved on a few wild campers in my time.

Last edited by a moderator:

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
I don't think it is a case of people not knowing the rules. I know the rules...wild camping is not allowed, however if someone asked me if they could, I would use my descretion to say yes or no. If I don't think they will cause a problem or leave litter etc, I would probably allow it. That's me from a FC rangers point of view.

Even through we are a government department, I am proud that the FC rangers, especially where i work are knowledgable, not people who don't know the rules and happy to help. However, I acknowledge rules are there for a reason and to that end I have moved on a few wild campers in my time.

Well said sir, a civil "Civil Servant". Not many of them about now is there? :thumb:
ATB
DaveT

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
The official position is on the Forestry Commission web site Link Removed. They make a point of saying "REMEMBER - Wild camping is not allowed".

Graham

If you want a good spot in Fort William then there is parking galore at the Underwater center.
To the left of the center complex they have a bunch of static caravans for staff that live there, cars are coming and going during the day but at night everyone goes home bar the students. This is the area.
I spent ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ on courses so they make tons of cash and don't seem bothered by who parks there for a day or two. Don't stay longer than that though as the security man will probably twig.
pi.ss.ed up divers coming back from the lash might be a problem so bring earplugs too :)

Last edited by a moderator:

The Wild Ones

Free Member
Jan 4, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Fledgelings
Hi Maria

Planning on being in that vacinity at that time our selfs, check out `wild camping for motorhomes' for specific info, would be great to have a wild mini meet with members if poss.

barbt

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
KENT
Funster No
Exp
two

Cheers
Marie
I don't think you'll find anywhere to wild camp on the side of Loch Ness where the visitors centre etc is but if you go round to the other side there are plenty of places to wild camp.

You should find quite a few places around Fort William.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Marie :ROFLMAO:

Remember my post on Haughton Hall, Alford, Aberdeenshire. Aberdeen seems a very enlightened council who do municipal camping at decent prices, so if in the area you may get a bargain stay with full facilities. Haughton Hall is good for kids and has it's own steam train.

Having sailed Loch Ness for a week I can only report there isn't a whole lot to do. Before Fort Augustas on the canal there is a site with wooden lodges and a swimming pool, Great Glen Water Park. We moored there and took the grandkids swimming. But this was just before MH so no idea if they have touring pitches.

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
Hi Marie,
I see your going up to The Strathspey steam railway and the Jacobite Express from Fort William to Mallaig. :thumb::thumb:

Whilst I have no tips on Wildcamping in Scotland, I did think you may be interested in
going to Oban and taking the ferry (as foot passenger) to Isle of Mull and taking a ride on the little Mull Railway.

Link Removed

We are going up on the bank holiday week, doing the Strathspey Railway then a few days at Channory Point for the dolphin watching, then down to Fort William for the Jacobite Express and finally Oban for the Mull Railway.

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
hi have a look at this

sorry it has not come out right
dave

Last edited:

jack

Free Member
Jun 20, 2010
Teeside
Funster No
MH
FireStorm
Exp
A long time.
It isn't a wildcamp , but if you want a site that has everything ,I think , go to the campsite in Glen Nevis ....I love it , and get hours of fun watching people staggering
of The Ben..I have done it and know how they feel.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back