Sound on the television...is it really my hearing? (1 Viewer)

mrhappydog

Free Member
Dec 30, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner IT728G
Exp
Just bought a new Avtex television, mainly because I was struggling to hear the one we had and the new one is bigger. I am still struggling, in my defence I do say the speakers are on the back of the set but in the end I know it is my hearing. Please do not tell my wife that I admitted that! Any advice on sound bars or speakers please. I know I have to expect sound bar jokes!!!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got a set of these connected to our tv in the motorhome.
Broken Link Removed
Cheaper on Amazon but the link doesn't seem to work?
USB powered so no other power lead required.
Connect via a 3.5mm jack plug to the audio output on the tv.
Decent sound despite their size!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's funny, my hearing's rubbish, I struggle to follow conversations if there's a lot of background noise, but I find the sound on the Avtex in our van is fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
If you have a AUX in socket on your cab radio then it's easy to run a cable and get great sound, My speakers are above my head in the base of the drop down bed and give superb surround sound at any volume that you can stand,

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
It's funny, my hearing's rubbish, I struggle to follow conversations if there's a lot of background noise, but I find the sound on the Avtex in our van is fine.

Snap...I have same problem confirmed by tests and a hearing aid prescribed. .. tried it but it doesn't really help..
Same in a pub etc where there is a lot of background noise, don't hear half the conversation, and get a bit fustrated ...
Andy.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am the same, as soon as there is background noise I just switch off and zone out these days. Makes me look a right miserable git in a crowded pub.

I have problems with hearing speech on a TV due to the fact they put atmospheric sounds or music that is too loud. They also compress the signal to make it louder that affects the frequency range...
I hate it.

I always use external sound system these days as the flats screen TV's with no bezel we all seem to like has no space for decent front facing speakers. A decent solid wood box with old fashioned speakers in fixes this.. (y)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Subtitles!
Opens up a whole new world of TV watching

My drinking buddy & my sister both have hearing issues... so I've got used to sub's....
...and its great.
No more missed muffled mumbled dialogue...
And the world of foreign TV opens up - and some of it is pretty good.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Part of the issue is the poor speakers used on flat screen TVs that don't have the range of pitches in the sound that deeper speakers do so they sound more muffled. We plug our TV into the MH radios (AV in) which really helps.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
most of them are 'designed' to be mounted with something solid behind them to bounce the sound off...which is barkin mad for any tv 'designed' for a van.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I am the same, as soon as there is background noise I just switch off and zone out these days. Makes me look a right miserable git in a crowded pub.

I have problems with hearing speech on a TV due to the fact they put atmospheric sounds or music that is too loud. They also compress the signal to make it louder that affects the frequency range...
I hate it.

I always use external sound system these days as the flats screen TV's with no bezel we all seem to like has no space for decent front facing speakers. A decent solid wood box with old fashioned speakers in fixes this.. (y)
Hey Gromett your a tech y sort of guy, I've always thought that if someone can super impose that unnecessary, intrusive sound on tv programs, then surely some tech y type can invent a way of blanking it, and make fortune at the same time;I wouldn't be the only one who would buy it(y)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Try eating plenty of carrots, they help you hear in the dark! British nightfighter pilots ate them during the war, and they say carrots accounted for many German bombers. Just read a book on it. Start with five or six carrots a day, then slowly up your score to around twenty. (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
There is a full thread currently discussing this issue in the TV and Satellite section of the Forum.

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
I have hearing aids and use Sony wireless headphones to listen to TV at home and in motorhome. If I use digital audio out or optical out and not the headphone jack to connect to TV then wife can still listen at a sensible volume.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Slim modern TVs have tiny speakers that are a waste of space, our MH TV now runs a pair of decent sided PC speakers, infinitely better.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If you have a AUX in socket on your cab radio then it's easy to run a cable and get great sound, My speakers are above my head in the base of the drop down bed and give superb surround sound at any volume that you can stand,
This is really the only solution, I can totally sympathise, I am unable to pick out sounds when lots of people are talking and there is a lot of background noise. This is due to being almost totally deaf in one ear, product of a youth working in night clubs, but that's a totally different subject.
Running phono leads from the telly to the head unit is dead simple, although you may need quite long ones, Maplins is the way forward. The sound system in your van has very good bass, which for me helps to hear what is going on.
We have an Alpine Bluetooth unit, I think we paid about £180 for it, it plugs straight in, only thing is, the standard Ducato wiring does not have a true permanent live for the stereo, so I ran one from the fuse box. Other than that, it was a straight plug in!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hey Gromett your a tech y sort of guy, I've always thought that if someone can super impose that unnecessary, intrusive sound on tv programs, then surely some tech y type can invent a way of blanking it, and make fortune at the same time;I wouldn't be the only one who would buy it(y)
expensive noise cancelling headphones. they are tunable to just select the frequency range of the spoken voice

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
The sound was really poor on my new Avtex especially on dvd mode . I contacted Avtex direct who arranged for it to be collected and it was returned a week later and the sound levels were much better in all modes other than heavy rain on the roof:):)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The sound was really poor on my new Avtex especially on dvd mode . I contacted Avtex direct who arranged for it to be collected and it was returned a week later and the sound levels were much better in all modes other than heavy rain on the roof:):)
again a pair or more of cordless headphones and you can hear the tv or other audio over the background noise. maybe not torrential rain as its like sitting inside a drum and especially satellite signals get broken up or lost

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Don't many of the current Avtex TVs enable you to broadcast the sound over radio, by selection of an unused frequency, to which you can then tune your cab radio and avoid the need for additional leads or equipment? Handy if you have decent speakers in the cab/hab areas...

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
This got me thinking. When music is played in the cab at not really loud volume we and probably others can hear it a few vans away. Wouldn't it make you unpopular on an Aire where all vans are parked quite close together. ?
Music and voices from a stand alone tv is within the van doesn't seem so loud.

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
Just bought a new Avtex television, mainly because I was struggling to hear the one we had and the new one is bigger. I am still struggling, in my defence I do say the speakers are on the back of the set but in the end I know it is my hearing. Please do not tell my wife that I admitted that! Any advice on sound bars or speakers please. I know I have to expect sound bar jokes!!!
An easy and simple way to vastly improve the TV's sound is to read Avtex book about it's RF transmitter and just listen to it through the van's speakers

Jan 12, 2011
West sussex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 06
It's a known fault with avtex TVs ,I phoned them and told them about mine, they said send it back ,I did and got it back in quick time, I bought a new one this year and I had no probs with sound on that,
So call avtex and tell them, avtex service is good.
Dennis

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Gave up on a NHS hearing aid after the third hospital visit,to be told again,"This is working fine". First wife had to explain to people...HE HASN'T HEARD YOU.
While back home for 6 weeks,called in to a mate who was going deaf,his exact words were,"Still cannot hear? come and try this bugger". He poked a little round plastic thing in my ear,i nearly jumped into next week..the sound..... Deafening..LOL!!. Sue his wife said."Haven't you turned the bloody volume down?". "No ,said he"
Cut to the chase,it was Chinese,i have found the very same set on line and am expecting delivery,monday next 22cnd? Ordered two units for £29.55 delivered to Portugal On the order confirmation it goes

Nestling* Adjustable mini hearing aid in ear sound voice Amplifier with Batts.
I only have the empty box from Rons,but when i get delivery i can put more info on,PLUS,letting you know if it works. The Plus is,hopefully, i will be able to hear better outdoors as well. Will post results on this post as soon as. It resembles an "Ear defender" you can use in the work place or when Donning ? your motor cycle skid lid,prior to showing "Rossi" The KING,a clean pair of heels on a race track........ DREAM ON!!!!! LOL
Tea Bag

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi.
Gave up on a NHS hearing aid after the third hospital visit,to be told again,"This is working fine". First wife had to explain to people...HE HASN'T HEARD YOU.
While back home for 6 weeks,called in to a mate who was going deaf,his exact words were,"Still cannot hear? come and try this bugger". He poked a little round plastic thing in my ear,i nearly jumped into next week..the sound..... Deafening..LOL!!. Sue his wife said."Haven't you turned the bloody volume down?". "No ,said he"
Cut to the chase,it was Chinese,i have found the very same set on line and am expecting delivery,monday next 22cnd? Ordered two units for £29.55 delivered to Portugal On the order confirmation it goes

Nestling* Adjustable mini hearing aid in ear sound voice Amplifier with Batts.
I only have the empty box from Rons,but when i get delivery i can put more info on,PLUS,letting you know if it works. The Plus is,hopefully, i will be able to hear better outdoors as well. Will post results on this post as soon as. It resembles an "Ear defender" you can use in the work place or when Donning ? your motor cycle skid lid,prior to showing "Rossi" The KING,a clean pair of heels on a race track........ DREAM ON!!!!! LOL
Tea Bag

Same ear (pun) tea bag, NHS earing aids and I'm having loads of problems with them. When I wear them I feel as if I'm under water, and after a couple of hours they make my ears really painful as if I've got an ear infection. I've been back numerous times and told there is nothing wrong with them.
I'm looking forward for more info when you've had them a bit.

John.

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!