DEATH OF A MACBOOK AIR (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I discovered the hard way that Prosecco and MacBook Air do not mix. My first glass of wine for ages and I knocked it over the keyboard of the netbook which I then watched slowly die. A few flickering lights and then - oblivion. Fortunately, I had a backups of most important stuff and an Apple shop was nearby for vast applications of credit card. I was sniffy about Apple products, but remember your passwords and a new computer is soon up and running with all your contacts, emails, addresses, calendars as it nothing had happened - apart from a large whole in my finances. One glass of wine got me £900 - beware, do not drink and compute! Oh yes, ironic isn't it, I was browsing MotorhomeFun at the time.......

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I discovered the hard way that Prosecco and MacBook Air do not mix. My first glass of wine for ages and I knocked it over the keyboard of the netbook which I then watched slowly die. A few flickering lights and then - oblivion. Fortunately, I had a backups of most important stuff and an Apple shop was nearby for vast applications of credit card. I was sniffy about Apple products, but remember your passwords and a new computer is soon up and running with all your contacts, emails, addresses, calendars as it nothing had happened - apart from a large whole in my finances. One glass of wine got me £900 - beware, do not drink and compute! Oh yes, ironic isn't it, I was browsing MotorhomeFun at the time.......
Could they not revive it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
ouch..

Jan has an Air and I have a Macbook Pro .. and have a keyboard skin on each.

They may not help if a full glass is spilled, but will certainly help if splashed..

regards household insurance.. .. years ago I sat on a 17" Mac Powerbook and broke the screen.. sent it to Apple for repair, about £400 ...and had a successful claim against my household policy.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
put it in a bag of dry rice and place on end in the airing cupboard for a few days. you would be amazed how many drink soiled laptops and phones this has recovered

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It would still be worth taking it to an Apple store if you have one close. The service is fantastic.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
put it in a bag of dry rice and place on end in the airing cupboard for a few days. you would be amazed how many drink soiled laptops and phones this has recovered
Sorry, thats an old wives tale.

If the device was turned on when dunked no amount of dry rice will repair the shorted out chips and circuits....unless the rice can micro-solder.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
generally speaking pcb's are waterproof and although turned on, there is still a good chance it will be recoverable. Have personally used "the old wives tale" of rice to soak up the moisture as it evaporates out into the plastic bag a fair few times. and shock horror it works, not always, granted, but its worth a try

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I did similar with a pint of guiness and my brand new 17" dell laptop,doing my DJ bit at the local the sudden silence was deafening.
I took the battery out straightaway got it home and stripped it down .Luckily the sun was out next day so it all went out to dry .The only part that had to be renewed was the keyboard,still going now after 7 years or so.
Nothing to lose by trying.:)

Jul 19, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Long time
You should be abel to recover some of your expense by selling for spares/repair on ebay. Screen will be worth a few bob at least!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back