Fun bags ? :-) Wellll, air sussy info anyways (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thinking of nailing on some air bag suspension helpers to the old girl..
Airide do a nice kit but at £470.00 a go ( plus £20.00 delivery which is, quite frankly taking the micky ! ) I do not wanna go there..
Anyone had any experience of any other kits, or have suggestions or ideas ( or even a kit to sell ! ) ??

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Thinking of nailing on some air bag suspension helpers to the old girl..
Airide do a nice kit but at £470.00 a go ( plus £20.00 delivery which is, quite frankly taking the micky ! ) I do not wanna go there..
Anyone had any experience of any other kits, or have suggestions or ideas ( or even a kit to sell ! ) ??

Ride Rite also do airbags, tho as they are basically an American company, I really dont know if they'll have kits for Fiat, Alko etc.
I fitted one of thier kits to my last RV (Chevy P32). Good kit, well made, quite a bit cheaper than the equivalent Air Ride kit.
Well worth the money in peace of mind alone. Made a HUGE difference to the ride and handling both loaded and unloaded.
I believe they have an outlet in Northern Ireland.

Dawn

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
Merseyside.
Funster No
MH
Hightop.
Exp
17yrs.
Hiya JawsMC,

Have you had alook at Mad Spring Assisters, we've fitted them to our last two vans, makes road handling much better & lifts the back end up :thumb:
Spring assisters.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hiya JawsMC,

Have you had alook at Mad Spring Assisters, we've fitted them to our last two vans, makes road handling much better & lifts the back end up :thumb:
Spring assisters.

had a look but they are for coil springs unfortunately.. but thanks for the suggestion :Smile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Will have a look at ride rite this evening ::bigsmile:

tried cross your heart, wonderbra and all the usual ones.. even tried a training one.. Used it for ages and the springs are still heading south !

Dawn

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
Merseyside.
Funster No
MH
Hightop.
Exp
17yrs.
had a look but they are for coil springs unfortunately.. but thanks for the suggestion :Smile:

Hiya,

Ours are leaf springs, if you click auxiliary springs it takes you to them.

Last edited:

charlie24

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
I had mine fitted by AS Air Suspension . Very competitive price and includes an onboard compressor allowing adjustments to be made from the drivers seat.Excellent after sales service from Phil and Cath. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
air

Just had air suspension fitted to my Dethleffs A class, with compressor and switches beside driver. Great stuff. Just type in motorhome air suspension into your search engine and you will find several links to follow. Air rides, Dunlop, Firestone etc.
Regards, weejohn::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jim.. looks a goodun.. thanks for the heads up..

Dawn,, dunno if they are having probs on their web site but not much seems to work mate...
I shall ring em tomorrow and see what they say

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
all you funsters fitting airrides.......do you know you can now get your GVW upgraded....more payload....if you want.:thumb:

dont know the ins and outs but the fitting airride dealer should know how and im sure others on here have done it.

Uncle-Steve

Free Member
Jan 24, 2008
Funster No
This is ours :thumb:
You've got a Talbot Express/C25/Ducato Mk 1 chassis with a Mad Springs after market kit. I quite often see then with deformed coil spring from being worked too hard. When fitting a Dunlop kit, the original bump stops (or coil spring kit) is removed, new brackets fitted to the chassis an axle, then a single air spring fitted between them.

Not sure how the Airide is fitted, but the Firestone/DriveRite kit needs 'nutserts' fitting in to the chassis, which isn't always successful, as I quite often had to supply replacement nutserts.

Talking generally now....
You need to ask yourself if you really do need an on board compressor when buying an air assist kit? Yes they make the job very easy an convenient, but when you consider the amount that you will use it and the cost, you need to think twice. Compare spending £100 plus for an on board compressor (£300 - £400 for a decent set-up with panel and compressor) against a Halfords special for £20, I know what most people do!

HTH

Uncle-Steve

Free Member
Jan 24, 2008
Funster No
dont know the ins and outs but the fitting airride dealer should know how and im sure others on here have done it.

Its basically an expensive paperwork exercise. 1st stage is a limited weight upgrade, the 2nd stage to give even more 'legal' weight carrying capacity is to fit some sort of air assistance to the rear axle, though metal spring assister's can also be used in some cases, then have the vehicle replated. Unfortunately its not cheap. Its around £300, but it is legal and the correct information is sent to DVLC (or what ever they are called this week). It is possible to buy new vin plates with new figures for about £30, but they're not supported by a proper test company who submit their information to DVLC.

To start the paperwork exercise, you have to fill in a two page form which asks all sorts of questions about your vehicles chassis, even the info off the tyres is required, as if the tyres are not capable of carrying the new proposed plated weight, you'll also need to change the tyres, so can end up very expensive.

HTH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back