Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
:RollEyes:just booked for the isle of wight for September 5 to 10. cost all in £116 with 2 dogs with redfunnel ferries. any one know where we can have some days out in van we are staying on whitefield forest park

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Have seen motorhomes parked up in the car park at Ryde Esplanade.
I like the I.O.W. lots to see and do, but the place is not really motorhome friendly.
I would be inclined to use bus and train services to get about. I believe you can get a pass for both which is good value. Have a great time and let us know how you get on.

Brisey

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm sorry to disagree but in the four times we've taken our motorhome to the Isle of Wight I've never had any problem parking. Sure, the road surfaces are not the best, and some of the roads are very narrow but if you stick to main roads and bus routes you'll not have any trouble at all.

We've always managed to park in every town and village we've visited, and that includes most of them on the island! To me, leaving your van behind and taking public transport seems to negate the point of having a motorhome with all its facilities for brewing up, having a nap and spending a penny always available.

As for days out, there are more 'attractions' on the east coast (Ventnor etc) and more open countryside on the west. We love the place and hope you do anyway, however you travel!

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
I'm sorry to disagree but in the four times we've taken our motorhome to the Isle of Wight I've never had any problem parking. Sure, the road surfaces are not the best, and some of the roads are very narrow but if you stick to main roads and bus routes you'll not have any trouble at all.

We've always managed to park in every town and village we've visited, and that includes most of them on the island! To me, leaving your van behind and taking public transport seems to negate the point of having a motorhome with all its facilities for brewing up, having a nap and spending a penny always available.

As for days out, there are more 'attractions' on the east coast (Ventnor etc) and more open countryside on the west. We love the place and hope you do anyway, however you travel!

really appreciate your positive reply, i agree with your points regarding using local transport. thats the whole point of having the van. we are going to ryde and will base ourselves there-have you been?. whats it like if so. then with the island being so small we want to visit the coastal towns so it will be the main routes we will be using. looks like a lovely island from the info i have got. --lynn hughes

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ryde is probably the biggest town, but probably not the most picturesque! It's great watching the big hovercraft coming and going though, and the beach is pretty good just beyond there (bags of beach-side parking there, too).

We really like Weymouth (another big, open car park) although it's a tiny town. If you like seafood, pop into Salties (you'll find the two Princes have carved/written their names on a couple of chair back upstairs but don't let that put you off).

Other favourites are Ventnor (go for the coach/lorry park) and Shanklin (again, massive car park and you can use one of the coach spots if you ask nicely). Avoid The Crab pub in Shanklin Old Town - pretty, pretty on the inside, grotty,grotty on the inside. There's a really nice cafe/restaurant just above the car park but I can't remember the name of it - you can sit outside in little alcoves if you want.

There's also Alum Bay, it's a tad tacky but if you have children with you they'll probably love it. There's another pretty village with a name I can't remember but is famous for its church (which nobody ever bothers walking far enough to see!) It's got a massive open car park but is basically a rather twee shopping opportunity. Yuk!

Interested to see you're going to Whitefield Forest Park as that's new to the Red Funnel special offer (what amazing value that is!). We'll probably try that one later this year as the one we've used before is now a CC club site and costs loads more as a result.

I forgot to say, most beaches have a dog ban from May to September which is a pain. If you scout around you'll be able to find some (very) restricted dog access areas, and there's a nice wild National Trust beach with small car park somewhere along the south coast.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back