Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Hugely disappointed to find significant damp in the wall of the comanche behind the driver. Did have a report of damp a couple of years ago which the dealer said was the window so that was repaired. Next service was done at the Motorhome Depot near Birmingham and no damp found but they didn't look under any bench seats etc so missed it. Report this year is damp with soft internal panel so urgent repair now being done. Seems the AT construction is that the side walls sit in a metal trough and this fills with water running down the walls if the seal at the bottom of the wall behind the grey plastic trim is not very good and ours clearly isn't! I have read that AT give a 10 year warranty against water ingress? Has anyone tried to claim on this and if so how?

I think most AT's could suffer from this issue so I would make sure that your damp check includes anywhere along the bottom walls of the van. Pictures to follow.

Reactions: zac

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Hate to say it but common... :(
My apache 700 had damp up to 40% at a year old.. Rectified at factory..

While on a rally and chatting to another funster about damp and showing him my damp meter. We went to his van for a try of it, lifted the bench seat and you could see the wet marks up the wall.. Van just over a year old and only recently been to the dealers for a hab check !!!

Reactions: zac

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Be interested in this myself as ours is coming up for 1 year,we have a AT Delaware. Can you post some pictures so i can see where it is i need to check. I will need to get a damp meter as well just in case.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I would hate to think this applies to most AutoT. However, IMO one is one to many. Our is now 4./1/2 years old and in that time has been subjected to some horrendous rain conditions and for long periods, fortunately, AT got it right on ours, as they should for every MH they produce.

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Sadly I think it is a general AT issue. The wall sits in a metal trough and unless that's really well sealed along its length then water will run down the wall into the metal trough and then soak into the wood at the bottom. I didn't add that the grey plastic panel that covers the join right behind the drivers door on the outside was removed and the white trim was nailed to the frame with a mild steel nail and this was rusty and also letting water in. Who nails together a motorhome and then with a mild steel nail! Beggars belief! I think most AT's will have this issue.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I agree that motorhome quality built in the UK needs to improve and has done with many constructors now issuing long warranties on leakproofing/sealing.
Yes there are many nightmare stories about damp problems but I do not accept that most AT leak where the sides join the bottom. If this was so we would be reading it on here just like we have with the shattering of the 5th gear cog and reversing judder that was fairly common.
This fault is not common to all AT.

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
IMG_1233.JPG IMG_1229.JPG IMG_1228.JPG IMG_1228.JPG IMG_1229.JPG

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Just a couple of phots taken after the grey trim was removed from the outside and the ply panel inside cut out. The damp extends back to the kitchen cupboard so effectively the length of the large door on the outside. You can see all the holes etc in the picture and also the nail!! I think the holes are part of the issue but also the seal where the wall goes into the metal. I'm going to have all the grey trim removed and a good seal installed the whole length of the wall. Cost so far £2000

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
shouldn't this be covered as part of the 10 year ingress warranty?

Mine is due a habitation check next month so i will be asking them to check this area now.I will also be doing this myself just to make sure.

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
I did ask the question of the warranty in my first post above? I have emailed autotrail and await their answer. Does anyone know how you claim on the warranty? Who is the warranty with?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I did ask the question of the warranty in my first post above? I have emailed autotrail and await their answer. Does anyone know how you claim on the warranty? Who is the warranty with?
Might also be worth looking at the Sale Of Goods Act which allows you up to 6 years to report an problem with goods, even if the warrant has expired.
Google it for details

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

If you brought 2nd hand i would assume the warranty would need to be dealt with directly with Autotrail, but if brought when new i would be going through the dealer. Either way with that kind of money it needs to be sorted but not from your pocket.

Let us know what Autotrail says as i would be interested

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Might also be worth looking at the Sale Of Goods Act which allows you up to 6 years to report an problem with goods, even if the warrant has expired.
Google it for details

plus law changing next month strengthening consumers position and bringing us into line with EU reg's..not before time!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
nailed to the frame with a mild steel nail and this was rusty and also letting water in. Who nails together a motorhome and then with a mild steel nail! Beggars belief! I think most AT's will have this issue.

They like big nails and screws at Autotrail.. !
AFTER my van had been back to the factory for repair on the side wall, we were at the Fun rally in Spain and I noticed something under my van.. This is how it was under the van, big screws sticking out and just loosely biting in. Luckily I did not move the van and get a puncture..
Contacted Autotrail and they said they were "temporary" to hold the joint while it re-set.. Not very temp if they left the things in..

Small rant over... :)

SAM_1977.JPG
SAM_1979.JPG

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ref warranty,, My understanding and after making a claim plus keeping up to date in case of future issues.

Year 1 is dealer, have your hab check done inside the 12 months to keep dealer liable for any work.
Year 2 Need's Autotrail approval. So can go to any Autotrail dealer, repair agent or even to the factory.
NOTE... As AT pay a lot less in labour fee's you can find some dealers dont want to do the work if they are already busy, hence fob you off with "sorry you did not buy it here" or "sorry we are to busy".
Year 3. Is a third party insurance so you need to get approval from them and certain items have limited amounts payable,

10 year ingress. As far as claiming you must ensure you have a NCC approved hab check each year, claims go direct to AT.

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Thanks for the information Tonka. I have had an approved damp check done every year since we bought the van. I have emailed AT so we'll see what they say. Issue is, the van is in being repaired which i'm funding and i'll bet they'll say they wanted to agree the cost etc etc. Are you saying I just send AT the bill? I reckon I can guess the response I get from that! We're off on our migration south as soon as it comes out!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Issue is, the van is in being repaired which i'm funding and i'll bet they'll say they wanted to agree the cost etc etc.

You may have jumped the gun there...!!
I will keep my fingers crossed for you but as I see it you should contact AT direct for anything under the water ingress waranty. They often take vans back in at the factory, mine was done there and I know I have seen several posts where others have gone direct. Failing that an approved repair agent, I am lucky that there is one only 2 miles from me...

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Ha!! Turns out the fabled AT 10year water ingress warranty is only for vehicles built after 2012! I've put together a pack of info and a letter and sent it to AT to claim under the sale of goods act. We'll see how that goes!!

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Ha!! Turns out the fabled AT 10year water ingress warranty is only for vehicles built after 2012! I've put together a pack of info and a letter and sent it to AT to claim under the sale of goods act. We'll see how that goes!!
That it quite bad considering the costs of these things, I know when we went for a tour last year to see how the new 2015 models were being built they said that they had replaced a lot of the frame with a stronger material that is less prone to water (cant remember exactly as it was nearly a year ago). Still they should do something, i just brought a damp meter to test mine even though it is not that old as i want to catch anything like that straight away.

OP
OP
Cossieg

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Prompt reply from Colin Treacher at Autotrail saying that my motorhome is outside the warranty and so there's nothing AT will do to help. He also said that the Sale of Goods act only applies to the retailer and not the manufacturer and as I bought the van second hand privately I have no retailer to approach. It looks like i'm stuffed then unless anyone has a better idea?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Prompt reply from Colin Treacher at Autotrail saying that my motorhome is outside the warranty and so there's nothing AT will do to help. He also said that the Sale of Goods act only applies to the retailer and not the manufacturer and as I bought the van second hand privately I have no retailer to approach. It looks like i'm stuffed then unless anyone has a better idea?

Contact CAB and Citizens direct and find out where you stand....sales of goods act changing next month - consumer rights being strengthened..

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...if-you-need-more-help-about-a-consumer-issue/

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd suggest speaking to a solicitor - initial consultation should be free. Don't be fobbed off by the first no!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sorry to say you are stuffed, sale of goods does not come into a private sale and nothing CA can do-things bought private are sold as seen =buyer beware :(
terry

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I agree with Terry, bad as it is dont think you will get anywhere against AT..
The fact that you have already started work may show that you were prepared to accept the costs and and claim was an after thought.. :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back