Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
We have a new moho with an Avtex tv and dealer supplied aerial, needless to say we struggle to get a good tv reception and I am considering a satellite set up. Possibly a portable one but can anyone advise the best route forward. We are looking to get UK tv in the UK and possibly abroad, France, Spain etc. Maybe free view etc? Do I need a dish and receiver etc? How would you get started please?

Thanks in anticipation

Jon

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Looks like a good sat dome for sale on here not long posted for a good price

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
cheapest way would be to get a better antenna for what you already have.I never struggle to get terrestial tv in the uk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We have a Status 550 aerial for UK use and a Max view Crank up dish which will work in France but not Spain now.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You won't get free view on a dish.
You will get free to air (FTA) or freesat....both of which amount to the same thing really...depending which decoder you use.
Yes, you do need a dish and decoder or a TV with built in sat decoder.

I use a regular sky 50cm mini dish (same as on most houses) mounted on an old camera tripod and an £80 FTA decoder.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
we have a SNIPE satellite and it works fine with our avtex tv. We (hubby) did mount it on the roof but you can use it mobile it you don't want to mount it permanently. Bought it off ebay for around £550 much cheaper then other systems we looked at. Have to say not used it abroad as yet but others have. We use it with our sky box from home so can get all sports etc..

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

We have had 2 vans and fitted the Max view crank up sat system about £500_550. Plus a cheap fortic star sat box about £55. This will work on any sat system around the world as long as you are in range. We found this works better than any automatic system especially where you are on the edge of the sat beam.

Steve & Ann ............teensvan

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What Avtex TV have you got as some already have a Satellite receiver built in, then you would only need a dish of some sort, be it free standing or fixed to your Motorhome.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
we have a SNIPE satellite and it works fine with our avtex tv. We (hubby) did mount it on the roof but you can use it mobile it you don't want to mount it permanently. Bought it off ebay for around £550 much cheaper then other systems we looked at. Have to say not used it abroad as yet but others have. We use it with our sky box from home so can get all sports etc..
We've had our Snipe picking up all the usual UK channels on Astra 28 as far south as just below Bordeaux

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
Great thanks seems the way to go. If you don't mount it permanently on the roof how does it stand alone , Does it have a stand or something?

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Great thanks seems the way to go. If you don't mount it permanently on the roof how does it stand alone , Does it have a stand or something?
The Snipe has a fairly heavy base so shouldn't be a problem as a stand alone unit.
It's a bit of a lump though and takes up a lot of storage space. Our's is mounted on the roof, it saves a lot of phaffing around and is much more convenient

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
And another vote here for SNIPE, and we can confirm its reception in France, as stated above.

I understand, (but have not done so myself,) that in Spain, selecting another sat a limited number of programmes have English sub titles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back