GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Ok, so we have seen a MH listed that is our preferred layout. The price seems too good to be true, so I am already cautious.

Other than an HPI check (which from previous threads seems hardly worth the paper it is written on if the MH is stolen) what other checks can I do?

We wouldn't be parting with money in advance etc and would want to veiw the registration docs of course.

Any other advice would be welcome.

Jen

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Courtesy Rudyard Kipling,

Part of poem I used and continue to use. Served me well over the years;

I KEEP six honest serving-men
Broken Link Removed (They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
Broken Link Removed And How and Where and Who.

In other words, question everything.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
View it at the owners address and see how they come across ,do they seem genuine ,are they open and forthcoming with the answers to your questions .
How long have they had the van ,has it been serviced and looked after ,receipts to prove ?
If they've not had it long why they selling ,you could contact previous owners .
There are bargains out there just be careful and trust your instincts.

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Is it private? eBay? a dealer? Be very cautious with eBay, if its being sold for a friend, a long way away or they ask for a deposit first, don't bother with them.
Also, check with your bank about the safest way to pay.
Have a good look at the van including a test drive ( even as a passenger) make sure everything works and ask to see service and maintenance paperwork as well as the registration certificate.
If anything seems fishy ( it already seems too good to be true, remember) walk away. Make sure your head rules your heart.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Repeat of Vlad the impaler advice, if ANY of the paperwork is missing walk away. Previous owner is an excellent idea as they will no doubt have details of the purchaser if that is not who you are stood in front of OOPS!!! DO NOT got with cash in pocket .... one scam is to lure you with cash to an address, which is not theirs and then do a quick rob job as you exit your car knowing you have a wad in the pocket

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
In the past when buying a motorbike, car etc I try to take along a friend who has absolutely no interest in wether I buy said item or not. This acts as a balance to stop you getting carried away, obviously do all the usual checks as well

Deleted User
I have mentioned in a previous post about the number of scam adverts for vans on Gumtree. On a daily basis I have found the same scam adverts being posted and have reported them to Gumtree using the 'report' link on the ad but the same vehicle gets posted back on Gumtree a short time after. Gumtree say they are not able to stop them. The scam adverts are easy to identify, the vehicle is grossly underpriced, within the photos of the vehicle there is an email address to contact the 'seller' and they don't answer the phone number that is posted on the ad.
I have asked Gumtree why is it that I can find these scams on a daily basis within minutes of searching yet they are not able to detect them - still waiting for an answer.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Too good to be true?

If you have to ask almost certainly YES. Tread very carefully, your foot may go through the floor.

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Yeah, we are hesitating - it is on ebay but he does say he will take paypal payment so that gives some protection.

We will bevery careful.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
All this caution is great.... But don't let it stand in the way of what could be a really good buy.
Take someone you know with you who knows vehicles inside out. Preferably someone who knows MHs as well.
If the seller seems anything but 100 percent or the van then walk.

Make sure you do a proper in depth HPI do not rely on the cheap Internet 5 quid ones.

Examine all paperwork. Don't be hurried !

Do a list of every single item that must be checked and stick to checking each entry. Don't be hurried.

Check every mechanical component. Drive it with all heaters off and the radio off. Take it a distance to make sure it gets really hot. Allow it to tick over for ten minutes after the drive. Don't be hurried..

Make sure the vehicle is registered in the sellers name. He or she hopefully will have owned it for some time. If it's not or they have only had it a short time walk.

It's a balance but common sense time taken and a good assistant in the form of a knowledgeable person should keep you out of trouble..

Good luck !

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Have you actually inspected the van in the metal yet, so to speak?
There are many reasons for selling at a low price that are genuine, so ask them what the reason is.
Obvious first check is that the VIN number matches in all locations (none missing) and that the riveted plate under the bonnet shows no sign of tampering. You aren't allowed to remove these, if it is bent creased or in anyway looks suss, then this isn't the van for you.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yeah, we are hesitating - it is on ebay but he does say he will take paypal payment so that gives some protection.

We will bevery careful.
PayPal only protects you to a certain amount (£450 from memory but I may be wrong)
I doubt if the seller would actually accept PayPal, it's just that cash is not a payment option for sellers

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
It is definitely a scam!

No way we would have parted with money anyway.

Shame though as it was the layout we wanted - the price wasn't what actually attracted us!

Shame really - I was hoping he would try the "army base location" to put us off viewing. Since I have full security clearance for any government or military site that would have been fun!

Jen

Deleted User
nosey - what me ! :rolleyes:

Ja63

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
Cannock
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero Black Ed
Exp
None except for one weeks hire
Can I ask how you know it is a scam now......what has happened to convince you?

And, as others have said, a link to it would be interesting. You never know, someone else on here could be looking at the same advert and thinking "bargain, I'll snap it up".........

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
I can't link it as I reported it to Ebay and they removed it immediately! Maybe they remove while investigating?

I had been dubious as it had seemed cheap - but not stupid cheap (maybe someone just wanting a quickish sale). In addition the person selling had not had any other items bought or sold.

When I tried the phone number given and it was not in use I reported it on ebay as a suspected fraudulent listing.

I now know it was a scam as I managed to find a link to a listing from a couple of years ago that all the details had been copied from on an anti scam site when searching for the registration number.

The anti scam blog for future reference was http://busterjack.blogspot.co.uk/

Jen

Deleted User
I can't link it as I reported it to Ebay and they removed it immediately! Maybe they remove while investigating?

I had been dubious as it had seemed cheap - but not stupid cheap (maybe someone just wanting a quickish sale). In addition the person selling had not had any other items bought or sold.

When I tried the phone number given and it was not in use I reported it on ebay as a suspected fraudulent listing.

I now know it was a scam as I managed to find a link to a listing from a couple of years ago that all the details had been copied from on an anti scam site when searching for the registration number.

The anti scam blog for future reference was http://busterjack.blogspot.co.uk/

Jen
Could be that someone else had already reported it.
interesting comment about the phone number not being in use as this is common on the Gumtree scams that I mentioned. This will be so that their location can't be traced by the police.

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hi you can get some good deals from ebay, we have only just purchased our van from ebay. it was in bournmouth a fair distance from us but the owner was happy to give us home phone number details from the van so we could check it out before we made the journey and we did a google street view and on the drive was the van a few years ago. we talked about price before we left and he said if we covered his selling fee if we did not want it he was happy to remove it from ebay so we could make the journey without being under pressure from a buy it now from somebody else. it was described very well along with a few small faults and he sent lots of pictures before we went to look. so there are genuine bargains out there just keep looking, our van had been with the advertiser for the last 8 years he had all paperwork and service info so don't be disheartened

OP
OP
GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Free Member
May 28, 2015
St Helens
Funster No
MH
A Class - Adria Vision
Exp
Update - had an email from seller to say due to huge response he had ended the listing (although if he had ended it it would say ended, not have been removed).

He is in Edinburgh for a few days he says.... but due to high level of interest we need to act quickly! He can have it delivered to us next week if we agree to buy. He says it will be covered under ebay purchasing protection (not sure how when the listing is removed!)

Hmm - yes of course I will cough up tens of thousands of pounds for something I haven't seen, to someone I don't know. What could possibly go wrong.

I responded ....
"Sorry but we need to view BEFORE we decide to buy. I could not agree to purchase something of this value without seeing it first.
Although I am sure all is above board we will only view the motorhome at the property it is registered to, I am sure you understand.
We are not too far away so can visit as soon as you are home without causing delays, but it will need to be the address of the registered keeper who we will need to be present if that is not you."

All has gone quiet unsurprisingly.

Jen

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was after an Aircraft engine and there was the exact one I wanted on Ebay, Addressed at the north Quay Douglas, send the money and I will ship it ????
I sent back that as I could not see it I would get my Brother who was an inspector a the police station nearby to call around and check it over for me
( All total rubbish as I do not have one there) he came back and said too late it has gone,, It never existed and I do not think he did either, I did get him going though with the policeman going to check. The advert was removed by Ebay.
There are more scammer out there than most people think exist.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back