pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Ric,

you can only get the password from other solo travellers after they have seen you are a lone M/H'er.:Cool:

so, it looks like you will need to attend a few normal MHF meets and get yourself known to the gang.

basicly it 'by invite' only to keep it safe.:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
hi Ric,you can only get the password from other solo travellers after they have seen you are a lone M/H'er.:Cool: so, it looks like you will need to attend a few normal MHF meets and get yourself known to the gang. basicly it 'by invite' only to keep it safe.:thumb:
How boring! Whats up with 'em? :roflmto:

Most will be way past the 18-30 club set anyway! :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Starseeker

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
South Wales.
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
5 years
Meets.

Thanks guys,hope to attend one of the meets this summer,do many solo`s attend,motorhomefun meets?.

Ric.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
good afternoon,
I have been to three meets/shows so far this year. I will be at the Lincolnshire show, manby, end of June, then going to Parc Verger on the way back from a trip to Croatia.
Other than that not sure as to the rest of the year, Except end of december, planning a trip to Libya for about four weeks.
Look forward to meeting you some where, some time.
Cheyne

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
How boring! Whats up with 'em? :roflmto:

Most will be way past the 18-30 club set anyway! :ROFLMAO:

as Jim explained, this is an open forum and as such anyone can read the posts. member or guest.

if the meets section of the solo travellers forum was open then anyone could also read that.

highly unlikely, but if a member was to go to a solo meet after posting their intention on here then that publicly acknowledges their house will be unattended for the duration.

anyone knowing that member and has a grudge or is a bit light fingered will know the house is unoccupied and an open invite to be burgled/vandalised.

as i said...highly unlikely but it could happen and that is one reason why Jim decided to make it a closed forum.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
if the meets section of the solo travellers forum was open then anyone could also read that. highly unlikely, but if a member was to go to a solo meet after posting their intention on here then that publicly acknowledges their house will be unattended for the duration.
as i said...highly unlikely but it could happen and that is one reason why Jim decided to make it a closed forum.
You mean like when many members openly state they are off to Morocco, Spain, France or wherever for a couple of weeks or so?

Whats the difference?

Maybe we should make the Computer section closed as that indicates someone has pc equipment in the house?

Personally i think it's bordering on paranoia! :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You mean like when many members openly state they are off to Morocco, Spain, France or wherever for a couple of weeks or so?

Whats the difference?

Maybe we should make the Computer section closed as that indicates someone has pc equipment in the house?

very good point.....:Doh:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I don't think that is the reason. A solo traveller may well have left a partner or older children at home whereas a family or couple going away to a meet have almost certainly left their house empty.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I personally see no reason to separate singles, do they not want to integrate with the rest of us, or do they just want a dating agency. As previously said anyone posting their intention to attend a show notifies the general public of the possibility of an empty house. Trips, rallies meets etc are all attended by singles and couples not all couples do everything together. Sue walks the dogs, I play radio or am on the computer, does that make us singles. all seems a bit silly to me.:whatthe::whatthe:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wildman
I personally see no reason to separate singles,
The solo travellers section is not separate, its a forum like any other to discuss items pertinent to solo travel, Plenty of solo travellers meet funsters on regular meets.

Bulletman
How boring!
Some solo travellers expressed an interest for a facility that enabled them to meet up and enjoy travelling with other solo travellers. So a password protected sub-forum has been added. So a lone traveller, who MAY be vulnerable in some way, can arrange to meet other solo travellers. As the facilitator, I am trying to do what I can to ensure that the people seeing those messages are at least known to others and the posts are not seen by all and sundry. Paranoia? I don't think so. Boring? I would not be so rude as to suggest such a thing even if I thought so:RollEyes:

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Jim,
If it's going to continue to generate this kind of antipathy I'd bin it... hasn't exactly brought out the best in some folks...:Doh:

Do me a favour and remove all of my contributions here and in the meets section.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
wow slow down Graham, this is a friendly forum, supposed to be fun, whilst I cannot see the point of a password protected singles forum I can see the possible advantages of a seperate forum. I intended no offence with my post. It really is no skin off my nose, I was hoping someone might explain why such a thing was needed, I have never made distinction between couples and singles. I treat people as friends and expect the same in return. Lighten up all of you. Supposed to be fun.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I don't think that is the reason. A solo traveller may well have left a partner or older children at home whereas a family or couple going away to a meet have almost certainly left their house empty.
In that case then......it's the entire forum which needs protecting and made secure!! :roflmto:

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
If I may be allowed to try and explain it to you Roger, as how I see it anyway.

Some people who are single for one reason or another, maybe by divorce, or by the death of a loved one, will maybe feel a bit left out at "meets" or "rallies" where the majority of those attending will be in "couples" or "families".
Now I know I have NOT attended any of the FUNSTERS "meets" but from the comments of the posts on this site I know that those attending go out of their way to welcome any and ALL new visitors/members.

Still, there are those who will still feel a little bit out of their depth being on their own.
The point of the singles forum was, I believe, a place where singles and solos could converse on matters that are more pertinent to their standing.
Being happily married for 40 years I don't really wish to hear about other people's divorces. Nor do I wish to see/read posts about other losing their loved ones. Being human of course if they were posted I might be tempted to have a look anyway. I am trying to be honest.
Out of sight, out of mind.
A separate forum for singles/solos causes no problems for the rest of us, so good luck to them and if it means that more singles/solos get together and arrange to "meet" together before a site arranged "meet" then I can only think it would be a good thing for them.
Anyway, if I have missed the point altogether, then I apologise to all.
As you say Roger, let's all lighten up and live and let live.
My old Dad used to say that it was "nice to be nice".

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
...a lone traveller, who MAY be vulnerable in some way, can arrange to meet other solo travellers. As the facilitator, I am trying to do what I can to ensure that the people seeing those messages are at least known to others and the posts are not seen by all and sundry. Paranoia? I don't think so. Boring? I would not be so rude as to suggest such a thing even if I thought so:RollEyes:
Jim

Whilst i appreciate you try to cater for everyones tastes etc i don't quite see how being 'solo' makes you any more, or any less "vulnerable" than families or couples on the mb who often display to all and sundry their current or proposed itinerary. Vulnerable to what exactly? Thieves.....or pervys?!!

Speaking as a 'solo traveller' and 'solo' person i reckon im pretty well qualified to comment in this department.

1) My House and contents are all fully insured.

2) Any female who wants to 'perve' me is more than welcome! :roflmto:

Why should anyone want to come to a mb forum and expect a 'secret section'?
The KGB were finished with twenty years ago! All seems very furtive to me.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Some people who are single for one reason or another, maybe by divorce
Thats me.....unashamedly!

Still, there are those who will still feel a little bit out of their depth being on their own.
Ever likely when they bunker themselves down in a 'secret singles section' with such silliness as passwords required by outsiders.
You have to ask yourself who really are the outsiders? The secretive singles, or the rest of us?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Bulletguy, like you said its difficult to cater for everyone. Thanks for your opinion and input, it's very much appreciated. :Smile:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am in the "solo" section and I have the password which worryingly means Jim has certified me :)

Being "Billy No Mates" I quite like the idea of having the possibility of getting together with other solos or discussing stuff like the best sat navs which non-solo Funsters don't need 'cos they all have on board navigators... :)

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Don't really see the problem myself. If a group of any kind want a forum within a forum then why should it bother the rest of us? Live and let live. Unless they were using the private forum to denegrate the rest of us (which I am sure Jim would not allow) let em get on with it. ::bigsmile:

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User

This is wisdom. I am a member on an outdoors forum and if we want anyone to be allowed into the inner circle of Rendez-vous areas they have to have a certain amount of posts AND be okayed by all members.
It serves as a check and balance against crazies, criminals and so on.
Another reason could be to prevent vehicle hijacking.
I know in my BOV / RV I'll have a ton of expensive equipment and supplies so even now as an outsider in this forum I understand the need for caution.
You really shouldn't be telling anyone where you live, keep things general with folks out there until you trust them well enough.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I am in the "solo" section and I have the password which worryingly means Jim has certified me :)

Being "Billy No Mates" I quite like the idea of having the possibility of getting together with other solos or discussing stuff like the best sat navs which non-solo Funsters don't need 'cos they all have on board navigators... :)

I too am a "Billy no mates" and a "Solo" member. So when is it going to happen.
Keep popping in but nothing going on, seems to have died a death.

Don

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Safe from who? :Eeek::Eeek:

See below....

Bulletman Some solo travellers expressed an interest for a facility that enabled them to meet up and enjoy travelling with other solo travellers. So a password protected sub-forum has been added. So a lone traveller, who MAY be vulnerable in some way, can arrange to meet other solo travellers. As the facilitator, I am trying to do what I can to ensure that the people seeing those messages are at least known to others and the posts are not seen by all and sundry. Paranoia? I don't think so. Boring? I would not be so rude as to suggest such a thing even if I thought so:RollEyes:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
The ludicrous thing about this secret forum is that the singles who are likely to be wary of arranging to meet up on an open forum, and therefore need the security of a password protected forum to arrange their meet ups, are the very ones who will never be allowed the password because they are wary of attending an open meet so will never meet anyone else and become known as good people and therefore permitted to join the secret sociaty.

Catch 22. :ROFLMAO:

BigJohn

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Kiveton Park, S Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile.
Exp
3 yrs long, long ago
Yep! :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

(Stupid innit?).

I have tried attending the usual club meets*, and it doesn't work for singles.
I now prefer to travel alone and, hopefully, meet people on my travels. (Come to think of it, I've met more people on my solo travels than on club meets).

I'm afraid that this quandary is something that couples will have no understanding of. Yet.

I know that I didn't.

* = not those organised by this forum, I must add.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back