Detailing Split from Motor Klenz Thread (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
a set of matching decals from the manufacturer is what is needed, not something knocked up to look similar. A third party decal job will devalue the van, as might concealing the damage. you cannot repair a damaged paint surface properly without proper prep work and painting

When polishing out deeper scratches or marring to paint or GRP a PTG (Paint Thickness Gauge) must be used.

These come in two types.
One measures the combined thickness of the paint and lacquer. Modern paints are lacquer over base coat and only the lacquer should be polished. If you polish through the lacquer the surface will require re painting.

The PTG I have identifies the individual thicknesses of the lacquer and the base. This allows me to see exactly how much material I have .

As we polish the lacquer of course becomes thinner so by using a PTG we eliminate the threat or danger of burning through the all important lacquer coat.

Top end gauge like I use also identifies the thickness of gel court over a fibreglass weave.

The gauge I use costs nearly £1500 but a cheap one that measures just the combined thickness can be bought for around 200 quid.

A top quality decal is essential. You can buy 3 5 0r 7 year qualities which is the length of time the decal is guaranteed NOT to fade. High numbers also means better quality material is used.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
you know your stuff Charlie..shame members did not see your input before going for these types of services...

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
When polishing out deeper scratches or marring to paint or GRP a PTG (Paint Thickness Gauge) must be used.

These come in two types.
One measures the combined thickness of the paint and lacquer. Modern paints are lacquer over base coat and only the lacquer should be polished. If you polish through the lacquer the surface will require re painting.

The PTG I have identifies the individual thicknesses of the lacquer and the base. This allows me to see exactly how much material I have .

As we polish the lacquer of course becomes thinner so by using a PTG we eliminate the threat or danger of burning through the all important lacquer coat.

Top end gauge like I use also identifies the thickness of gel court over a fibreglass weave.

The gauge I use costs nearly £1500 but a cheap one that measures just the combined thickness can be bought for around 200 quid.

A top quality decal is essential. You can buy 3 5 0r 7 year qualities which is the length of time the decal is guaranteed NOT to fade. High numbers also means better quality material is used.
Thats really interesting I did not know that you can measure thickness let alone individual coats/layers. Great machine to run round a new vehicle for base points going forward.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thats really interesting I did not know that you can measure thickness let alone individual coats/layers. Great machine to run round a new vehicle for base points going forward.

Big benefit of a PTG is when looking at say a used vehicle any repairs like re painted areas or smart repairs can be instantly identified. After market paint is always thicker than that applied by robots during vehicle production.

To those of us as fussy as me it matters. If even a small area has been repaired I want to know. 9 times out of 10 it means I move on ...

The main benefit though is when polishing an expensive vehicle like my mate Robs Aston Martin I know exactly what or how much material I safely have to play with. It is completely unacceptable to make mistakes on vehicles like that or any vehicle for that matter. Whether a car cost 150 K or 500 quid it's someone's pride and joy ...

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
you know your stuff Charlie..shame members did not see your input before going for these types of services...

I'm amazed there is no : Detailing: sub forum on this or the other MH forum I go on..

I write extensively on a few car based forums . But none of the MH forums seem to bother. Daft really as many I think would get something from it.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm amazed there is no : Detailing: sub forum on this or the other MH forum I go on..

I write extensively on a few car based forums . But none of the MH forums seem to bother. Daft really as many I think would get something from it.

as something as important as caring for you vans (outside) I'm sure this would be of interest. I'm thinking of going from panelvans to a A class (health permitting) and dreading all the bodywork care that entails. steel panel vans campers so easy to look after!

Charlie what would you do with a new (GRP roof/aluminium sides) A class for instance if bought new to protect it?

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
as something as important as caring for you vans (outside) I'm sure this would be of interest. I'm thinking of going from panelvans to a A class (health permitting) and dreading all the bodywork care that entails. steel panel vans campers so easy to look after!

Charlie what would you do with a new (GRP roof/aluminium sides) A class for instance if bought new to protect it?

What I would not do is apply or have applied those expensive hopeless wonder treatments the dealers get rich selling ...

A simple machine polish plus a really high durability wax like Collinite 476S is the best you will do. Collinite is less than 20 quid off EBay and a tin will do ten MHs at least !

There are so many products appearing now as the Detailing bug is getting enormous. I go for effective quality products but not expensive unless they need to be. I have a collection of waxes ranging from 10 to nearly 500 quid. Collinite has the best protection due to its long durability. Other main reason for using a high durability wax is MHs are big so once or twice a year is more than enough.

Hope your health holds up !!!!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
that's all I would want... to protect the surface and a barrier against black streaking etc.....

"Hope your health holds up !!!!"

Thanks Charlie, but have lived with kidney failure due to diabetes for over 15 years. have chance of a transplant from family members but cancer last year means a minimum 3 year wait (2 more years) its all about the blood tests and recent one poor. But! we live in hope!:)

have motorhomed for over 25 years (I'm 62) so not had a bad run.....moving to the south coast in new year if and when we sell our london home. so if have to be on dialysis for a couple of years thats what it will be....

Last edited:

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Charlie I use Autoglym HD wax which I find great but expensive and twice a year works well. Whats you opinion?
Michael

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
After Charlie recommended Collinite 476S on another thread I thought I would give it a try. When trying anything new I always try it on my own motorhome before using it on customers vans. I have to say that Collinite 476S maybe a good wax but so far its not that good at reducing black streaks, unlike my go to wax at the moment (meguiars marine wax).

Reactions: f6c

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Interesting. I was planning to go for the Collinite 870 for ease of use, perhaps followed by 925 annually for a polish, but I too think there would be some mileage in having a detailing section.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
that's all I would want... to protect the surface and a barrier against black streaking etc.....

"Hope your health holds up !!!!"

Thanks Charlie, but have lived with kidney failure due to diabetes for over 15 years. have chance of a transplant from family members but cancer last year means a minimum 3 year wait (2 more years) its all about the blood tests and recent one poor. But! we live in hope!:)

have motorhomed for over 25 years (I'm 62) so not had a bad run.....moving to the south coast in new year if and when we sell our london home. so if have to be on dialysis for a couple of years thats what it will be....

Sorry to hear that my friend ! I have been insulin dependant for 40 years so I have a bloody good idea what you are up against.. Sincere best wishes !

Anyway back on topic.. Nothing will ever stop the streaks from appearing. But a coat or two of Colinite wax will most certainly make it far easier to get them off.

Again my best wishes........

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I use the same as well. Expensive but lasts ages
I have AG in my ridiculously large collection of waxes. As a wax it's not bad but it lacks the long lasting durability..

I read a comparison recently where AG came near the top but I can't understand why.. Honestly I have loads of waxes and will put up a picture when we return from France. In that collection I have two Zymol waxes which together cost six hundred quid. What do I put on my cars and MH ?? Colinite.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have AG in my ridiculously large collection of waxes. As a wax it's not bad but it lacks the long lasting durability..

I read a comparison recently where AG came near the top but I can't understand why.. Honestly I have loads of waxes and will put up a picture when we return from France. In that collection I have two Zymol waxes which together cost six hundred quid. What do I put on my cars and MH ?? Colinite.
Fair enough. To be honest I got the autoglym HD wax as a free gift some years ago for subscribing to What Car? But it lasted really well on one (very black) car and the current (almost black!) car.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
After Charlie recommended Collinite 476S on another thread I thought I would give it a try. When trying anything new I always try it on my own motorhome before using it on customers vans. I have to say that Collinite 476S maybe a good wax but so far its not that good at reducing black streaks, unlike my go to wax at the moment (meguiars marine wax).

Mike I think the type of material we put waxes on makes quite a difference.

Looking at your Avatar I see an MH that mat have composite panels ! GRP perhaps ?

My experience over many years is with automotive and GRP on boats and Jet Skis.. To be truthful I have no experience with many of the composite materials used on MHs.

But it's fair to assume a wax will or should do the same job on most materials.

But let's remember we are talking about waxes and how they perform. The preparation to the finish makes a massive difference.

I clay and polish before the LSP (Last Stage Product) is applied. This results in a flawless absolutely smooth surface. Wax this and trust me nothing will stick to it and if streaks do they will wash of with absolute ease.

Google Charliefarlies guide to machine polishing.

I can't copy or link to it here as I'm away and am not great with this IPad ...

The guide was written by me many years ago but the info is very relevant to the subject..

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Fair enough. To be honest I got the autoglym HD wax as a free gift some years ago for subscribing to What Car? But it lasted really well on one (very black) car and the current (almost black!) car.
David it is a good wax ! Most waxes are but for something like a large vehicle my suggestion would be to go for the longest durability wax possible.

I've waxed my Panel Van twice. It's quite a job and if I use Colinite like I did then I know I'm going to get six months or more before doing it again. Durability is king as far as I'm concerned on big vehicles.

fce8d7fa6873498e30dd1405cb5f9f2c_zpsr94gooji.jpg

fce8d7fa6873498e30dd1405cb5f9f2c_zpsr94gooji.jpg

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
From my days of Jag ownership David..

Very nearly had a new XFR but ended up with the MH.... Ah well ....
Very nice - Lunar grey? I've got a sportbrake Portfolio spec in stratus grey. Great car

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Very nice - Lunar grey? I've got a sportbrake Portfolio spec in stratus grey. Great car

Yes David Lunar grey.. Was the S version that had been to Spires for an upgrade to 315 BHP and 690 NM of torque.. Awesome car and I should never have sold it.. The picture was taken an Dunsfold which it the Top Gear track where we were on a Jag day put on by the XF owners club called Jaginfo ..

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes David Lunar grey.. Was the S version that had been to Spires for an upgrade to 315 BHP and 690 NM of torque.. Awesome car and I should never have sold it.. The picture was taken an Dunsfold which it the Top Gear track where we were on a Jag day put on by the XF owners club called Jaginfo ..
Mine is a miserable lowly 245 hp...... still a much nicer car to drive than son in law's RS6, though

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Mine is a miserable lowly 245 hp...... still a much nicer car to drive than son in law's RS6, though
Had a couple of RS Audis one being the RS4 B7 Convertible which was fabulous !
Drive relatively boring stuff now but was looking at the XFR when I had a daft idea about getting a motor home... I mean how daft can a bloke be ?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Had a couple of RS Audis one being the RS4 B7 Convertible which was fabulous !
Drive relatively boring stuff now but was looking at the XFR when I had a daft idea about getting a motor home... I mean how daft can a bloke be ?
A/S Kemerton is a nice van, though..... just could not gel with the Audi. Had it again at the weekend when the son in law borrowed the motorhome. The Jag is just so much nicer to drive (but admittedly doesn't sound quite as good......)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
A/S Kemerton is a nice van, though..... just could not gel with the Audi. Had it again at the weekend when the son in law borrowed the motorhome. The Jag is just so much nicer to drive (but admittedly doesn't sound quite as good......)

The XF is an epic car ! I loved my one and it was without doubt one of the best cars I've ever owned. Grace Pace and Style as they used to say..

Another XF would have been a selfish purchase as my wife has not been well and would struggle to get into a car like an XF now.

We are getting a lot from the AS so I have no regrets.

I still look at them and smile though ....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back