Gaslight Propane with 37mbar regulator - can I use it on my new motorhome (1 Viewer)

Michelle CV

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Our new Dethleffs doesn't come with a gas bottle and the regulator is not on the wall but screws into a bottle.

We have a 10kg gaslight cylinder which has a different regulator - 37mbar rather than 30 which is one the regulator in the van. We are planning to install Gas it refillable but wondered if we can use our gaslight bottle in the meantime?

This is our first every motorhome and the pressure (no pun intended) of trying to understand all the technical stuff is enormous - I feel like I need a course in electrics, gas and plumbing before I even start enjoying it lol

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why not remove the 37mbar regulator and connect the bottle to the regulator in the van?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
As your van is new, it will be fitted out as standard with 30mb inboard gas regulator system
The cylinder you refer to will need only an outlet adaptor not a regulator.

If you tried to pre- regulate at the cylinder at 37 mb then again at the van at 30mb you wouldnt get a flow.

So to sum up (boring) The adaptor connected via hp hose attaches to either a first stage reducer or directly to the inboard 39 mb reducer.

And finally Gas comes in cylinders and beer comes in bottles, old joke I used to tell many years ago to trainees.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
As your van is new, it will be fitted out as standard with 30mb inboard gas regulator system
The cylinder you refer to will need only an outlet adaptor not a regulator.

Most continental vans, in use in other European countries, use bottle/cylinder top regulators rather than bulkhead mounted ones. Many dealers in the UK, importing continental vans, remove the bottle/cylinder top regulators and replace them with the bulkhead ones before they are sold. Some dealers have stopped doing this and simply sell their vans with the factory fitted bottle/cylinder top regulators.

It seems that here in the UK, it is only a recommendation for the bulkhead mounted ones to be fitted and not a regulation.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Phew, thats a step backwards if there ever was one. What happened to the European Standard of 30 mbar, has that go amiss, and for anyone travelling to other countries in Europe, new regulator for every country.
So no more pigtails and adaptors?
My current van and previous one both bought in Euroland were fitted with 30mbar bulkhead regulators.
The old low pressure hoses to my knowledge had long gone, except for bbq and similar uses.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Michelle CV

Free Member
Sep 2, 2015
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for your advice. Ludo is right in that, even though it is a new van, it has not been supplied with a bulkhead regulator but a cylinder regulator to fit a screw in propane cylinder. The issue with bp gas light it that it is a 27mm push on regulator. I have found that I can buy a gas light adaptor to push on and then I end up with a butane male screw input - I am then struggling to find if there is an adaptor to go from the propane regulator with it's male screw to the butane input on the adaptor with it other size male screw - does that make any sense!!

Gollom

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
Preston, Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 (1994) - Hetty
Exp
Since 2014
I am now confused! Hetty The Hymer came with a propane (red) bottle that has a screwed in regulator on the end of rubber tubing. The gas used on our last MH was butane (blue) and connected with a clip on regulator.

When the propane bottle runs out, can I simply replace the red regulator on the tube with the blue one?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if its held on with a clip yes . . check some use a crimp on clip not a worm drive .

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Whilst I cannot comment on the use by Euro converters in not fitting bulkhead regs. could I point out that every manufacturer of gas products now fits jets commensurate with the 30mb pressure now presumably??? adopted as the pan european norm.

Having said that, I had the necessity of using/wasting a small amount of gas (propane) that was being held in a butane cylinder,(don't ask.)
The only regulator I had was a butane clipon, well it was a butane cylinder. The only means of disposal to err, dispose of this was a Campingaz hob that was jetted for 30mb and it coped with the propane gas as if there was no difference.

Which begs the question. Why was there a difference in the pressure for the two gases.?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
in truth there was more than just the two we used .
even so the pressure fron the 28mbr and the 37mbr regs did in fact overlap.
one went higher the other worked lower so it was a farce .
years ago while visiting different countries i had to have a bottle filled . they put propane in my butane . as i only could at the time use the butane reg i tried it . it worked .
another time in turkey butane got put in a propane bottle , again it worked .
certainly in maroc the only regulator i have seen is what we would call the old screw on butane .
they use butane or propane through it.
is there really a euro norm . ?
i doubt it .
it does make you wonder about it all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back