Is it worth buying a cheap MH so I cna save more quicker (1 Viewer)

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Ive had a slight financial hitch so I am not going to make my £45000 target for another year (2018).

Is it worth buying a cheap £10-15000 mh early next year (March 2016) to allow me to make more savings to get to my goal sooner (March 2017) as I would be saving money on virgin, rent, council tax and all the other bills that come with a house?

Would I get much of the 10-15000 back come trade in again a 45000 mh?

When it comes to cash it would be in the individual but I dont want to spend money on a temp mh only to loose a lot come trade in time.

Does anyone have experience in trading in old cheaper mh again a newer type?

Thanks,
Chris

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Trading up is always welcomed by dealers,,,
When I started I had 3 vans in 18 months.. The first 2 I had all my money back :)
The third one I had to sell in a rush (business venture opportunity) lost a shed load :(

I'm a bit wiser now and play the game to suit me...

Buy in Autumn/Winter - Sell in Spring / summer is a wise move.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I think based on how my budget looks I will be buying the permanent mh in Sept 2017 but I plan on buy a runaround in spring so if its rubbish I don have to deal with the winter right away and only spend 1 winter in it :)

I would just hate to do this to same more and then loose most of the initial 10-15 on the temp mh.... or maybe I am being too impatient as I was hoping to be living in it late 2017 not late 2018

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Just out of interest - what is £45k going to get you? A new MH?

If so, a £45k MH in 3 years time may be closer to £30k, so could you might still be able to hit your budget.

Oh, and what are you looking for in a MH? I only ask as I've spent the last 10 years using a camper van which depending on badge/spec can easily be bought in the £5k range, which could be an immediate entry into the market.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It's well worth considering for two reasons:-

It will get you started much earlier.

Not everyone loves it once they have tried motorhoming. They find the real experience is not as they imagined. Look at all the M/Hs for sale with less than say 5000 miles on their clock.

Either way I hope it all goes well for you.

We returned to motorhomes 18 months ago after 7 years with caravans. We bought an older model, which we kept for 18 months before trading in for a new unit.

Welcome.(y):)

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
If you buy wisely the price is irrelevant, you can spend £1,500 or £100,000 and still end up with a lemon. But how good would you feel, spending a small amount and getting the van you REALLY want or spending tonnes on one that has loads of problems that is always at the dealers being repaired?

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Do your research and buy carefully if you are looking for an older van. Plenty of new vans come with problems, and as the post above states, some of them spend a lot of time at the dealers getting fixed. But used vans come with their own problems too, they aren't immune from breaking down or having things break/ go wrong. Just read through these forums.........
At least with a new van, dealers fix everything for you ( hopefully), but of course, you take the biggest depreciation hit, as you do with almost everything new you buy.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Buy one now ;) A van bought wisely and at the right money could well prove a good investment (y)IF you know what you are buying and how to check things are all correct / working then it is possible to use it for a year or so then sell it on at a profit (y)
As you never know for sure if anything will go wrong then bought wisely would mean only loosing a little instead of a shed load :LOL: A van at 10/15k would only loose a couple of k anyway provided you bought it fairly priced :)
Now the hard thing is the research the IF and fair price ;):LOL:
I HAVE RECENTLY DONE MY FIRST LOSS ON A VAN -I took a £500 hit but actually gave the buyer the 500 back (he did not ask or anything)or I would have broke even (y) Not bad after using the van for 8 1/2 years (y)(y)(y):LOL:
terry

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
This is a good point. Consider buying in Europe too for even better discounts / favourable currency movements.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I would carry on doing your homework/research and wait

and as said do not even think of buying here....plenty of help with importing process on forum.

edit: did not realise you wanted it to live in...

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Just get one and ENJOY!! I read stuff from peeps on *FUN* saying that 'Maybe in three years time we can afford a new van, and then enjoy the life...........'. Anything can happen in that time frame. Plus, getting an old but 'fit' MH breaks you in, you know what your looking for in the future with an experienced eye.
Sod tomorrow, enjoy life today. (y) We bought a 21 year old Hymer three years ago, for 7 K. Nothing could replace the fun we have had with 'Sloopy', and have been able to meet so many nice and like-minded *FUNSTERS* into the bargain. Buy and enjoy!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Just out of interest - what is £45k going to get you? A new MH?
I was not planning on new, Ive only even bought a brand new car once, I was hoping to get a nice big 3-5 year old home for the 45k.

As I plan to live in it I really want it to feel like a big comfy home.

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
I was not planning on new, Ive only even bought a brand new car once, I was hoping to get a nice big 3-5 year old home for the 45k.

As I plan to live in it I really want it to feel like a big comfy home.

Get something American then. As much as I love my MH I wouldn't live in it full time, too small. Consider a 5th Wheel too both are easily under your budget (especially if you import). Slide outs are far and few between European MHs and give you additional space that you'll appreciate living in them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
If it were just me id be happy in a box on wheels but I have to make sure it can suit my 9 year kid who I will get at the weekend to drag around on endless fun trips... well ending Sunday before he goes back to his mum.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Contrary to what everyone says, if you are going to live in it full time, size does matter :D

Our van is literally huge, and I suppose at a push my wife and I could live in it, however the storage is definitely arranged with holidays and short term living in mind. Another thing for you to think about in your search?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
Ive been out looking at a few, I love the size of the Autotrail comanche and the kontiki with the bedroom at the back. I think i defiantly want island beds and couches without the agro of making up a bed every night but my kid has fell in love with the over head cabin bed. So that narrows down my choices, hi line,island bed.

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Erm, RV with slide outs...!

I hired a Thor twin slide out RV in Canada and fell in love with it (with overhead cab).

You can buy one in the states for around 15k and import it for under 5k. There is no comparison with Autotrails or similar. Plus I could listen to the V10 engine all day long :)

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Ive been out looking at a few, I love the size of the Autotrail comanche and the kontiki with the bedroom at the back. I think i defiantly want island beds and couches without the agro of making up a bed every night but my kid has fell in love with the over head cabin bed. So that narrows down my choices, hi line,island bed.
If I am correct, then the kon tiki with the island bed is the tag axle model, which as as aside is what I wanted to buy! A superb van in all respects, but it is very large, so parking is going to be an issue, bear that in mind.
There are many members on here who have tags, so I am sure they can give you specific advice. As for High line, couldn't agree more, the overcab is our daughters bedroom, she loves it!

Upvote 0

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I`ve bought a 20 year old Fleetwood Jamboree it`s got twin beds an overcab double a dinette double and a rock an roll pull out so that`s 8 at a push it were cheapish and it has everything I need in it, admittedly it don`t do many to the gallon but as it`s not my daily driver I not bovvered. We just plan ahead I will probly lose money on it when I sell it but not much, plus, I will have enjoyed the use of it(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Size plays more importance if you are going to use the MH as your main vehicle or will you use a car as a run about @clyle ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
clyle

clyle

Free Member
Aug 15, 2015
Greenock
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Exp
I have thought about a smaller unit to start with to allow me to save more by not having a brick house with all the bills but I just fall in love with the larger dedicated back bedroom motorhomes. Regarding its usage as a method of transport, hmm this is a tough one. I find my self as I drive around my local district looking at where might be tight to drive and park for a large tag axle home. I could use my bike to get from the mh to where I need to go for small errands.

I even lying in bed wondering where I would park when I want to go gym, jog, shopping, picking up kid from his mums house.

Although I would only have my kid 1 day/night a week I feel I want us to be have space, then I think its what suits me 6 day out of the 7 and just deal with the lack of space and making up beds for that 1 extra night.

Ive seen plenty of 10-15k motor home but im not sure if I could live in them for a year, it may help or ruin my experience.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back