Auto trail Cheyanne/Commanche depreciation (1 Viewer)

DandP

Free Member
Aug 11, 2015
Ely
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Caravanning for 10 years
We are going to buy a secondhand Autotrail next year. My question is what is the expected depreciation on say a 2008 Cheyanne cost about £40,000.00 over a period of 2 years as opposed to a 2011 Commanche at say £55,000.00. Would you expect them both to depreciate at the same rate as a percentage of the price or say £3/4000.00 per annum. I know it's a case of how long is a piece of string but if we were to expect to loose the same amount over the period of 2 years we would go for the Commanche. We intend to go traveling for a year or two so to have a newer motorhome is our preference. I'm sure there will be plenty of opinion backed up by personnel experience. Cheers. Dave

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I was told many years ago, if you are going to worry about depreciation, don't buy a motorhome!
You are comparing two different aged and priced vans, I think it would be very difficult to pick which one you will lose less on when you sell it, there are so many variables.
You may be better off buying a much older top quality van that has already lost much of its high initial price tag, but will keep going for many many years to come.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We are going to buy a secondhand Autotrail next year. My question is what is the expected depreciation on say a 2008 Cheyanne cost about £40,000.00 over a period of 2 years as opposed to a 2011 Commanche at say £55,000.00. Would you expect them both to depreciate at the same rate as a percentage of the price or say £3/4000.00 per annum. I know it's a case of how long is a piece of string but if we were to expect to loose the same amount over the period of 2 years we would go for the Commanche. We intend to go traveling for a year or two so to have a newer motorhome is our preference. I'm sure there will be plenty of opinion backed up by personnel experience. Cheers. Dave

We looked at quite a few commanche's last year before eventually deciding on a new Delaware. The commanche would of been great but the extra price tag that came with it for the extra length on the side seats (this is all we could see that had changed along with tag axle and heavier) just wasnt worth it. We originally thought the tolls would also be dearer being tag axle but turns out the Delaware gets classed as a category 4 anyway on the French tolls (hgv cat) so no better off on that score. The layout is the same aside from being slightly longer and heavier. We were looking 2nd hand and new but opted for new in the end as it saved us selling our just brought Elddis Autoquest 155 (well 3 months old). We lost around 7k on that van but it wont be as bad on a 2nd hand van. You are bound to lose some but as long as you use it and enjoy yourselves thats all that matters with us. I always think the newer the less you may lose but that never seems to work and you cant take it with you :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Surely the usual automotive premise of you lose the most in the first 3 years applies?

I bought a 9 year old van and whilst it will still depreciate, looking at the price of similar 12-15 year old vans it doesn't look to be too crippling.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
We looked at quite a few commanche's last year before eventually deciding on a new Delaware. The commanche would of been great but the extra price tag that came with it for the extra length on the side seats (this is all we could see that had changed along with tag axle and heavier) just wasnt worth it. We originally thought the tolls would also be dearer being tag axle but turns out the Delaware gets classed as a category 4 anyway on the French tolls (hgv cat) so no better off on that score. The layout is the same aside from being slightly longer and heavier. We were looking 2nd hand and new but opted for new in the end as it saved us selling our just brought Elddis Autoquest 155 (well 3 months old). We lost around 7k on that van but it wont be as bad on a 2nd hand van. You are bound to lose some but as long as you use it and enjoy yourselves thats all that matters with us. I always think the newer the less you may lose but that never seems to work and you cant take it with you :)
I have a tag Motorhome and use the tolls in France (all August this year). At the auto toll booths Class 4 comes up and we just press for assistance inform them that we are a camping car and the price is changed to class 2. Also when going to the booths with attendent always been charged classed 2 without having to challenge.Have never been challenged re size or tag so you should not have to pay class 4. Good luck

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I think if you are looking at 'depreciation' on anything you are thinking of buying you will never buy anything!
Does that make sense?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
turns out the Delaware gets classed as a category 4 anyway on the French tolls

YOU HAVE BEEN STIFFED.. !!!
As mentioned above, you need to press the button and state camping car,,, If you use the unmanned booth's then it reads your height and assumes your class 4..
My apache 700 is almost the same size and weight (7.5mtr and 4250kg) always class 2, previous vans over 10 years have been scouts and 700's.....

Next trip, press the button (y):)

Ref depreciation, hard one to call.. In most cases the longer you have the van the better it is.. Buying used saves the biggest chunk..

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You may find this post useful reading before spending £50k
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/damp-comanche.115790/#post-1549158

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Not sure if this will help we brought a new to us 2005 reg Autotrail Chieftain in 2007 . When new it would have cost around £60k inc vat, we paid £46 k , when I sold it in 2014 the dealer gave me £23k . They put it up for sale at £30K

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back