Any Updates on UK TV Across Europe Please (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Getting ready to go to Portugal soon and seeking any new info on sat signals across France, Spain and Portugal with an Oyster 11 85cm auto dish.

Last trip was not very successful.

Regards
Ray

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They haven't increased the satellite footprints if that's what you're asking.

OP
OP
Hydrocell
Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Hi Nick
Just wondering if anyone has a particular frequencies they use to get a signal further that the south west of France, or weather I might need down load new software or re set.

In may this year i got a signal for ITV, BBC, S4C and 5 as far as Taverner's, only difference is that i change my receiver from Sky to Maxview.

Regards
Ray

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi Nick
Just wondering if anyone has a particular frequencies they use to get a signal further that the south west of France, or weather I might need down load new software or re set.

In may this year i got a signal for ITV, BBC, S4C and 5 as far as Taverner's, only difference is that i change my receiver from Sky to Maxview.

Regards
Ray

It doesn't work like that with satellite. You aren't tuning to a frequency as such, like you would if you were using an aerial. Once you go too far in whichever direction, South in your case, away from the area covered by the satellite's footprint it effectively drops below the horizon so the dish can't see it any more and you stop getting a signal.

Sometimes if weather conditions are favourable you will pick up something further South, or East, than you normally would but that's just luck.

That's the very basic version. I'm sure someone will be along in a minute with the complicated one.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
the very basic version

As I understand it, the signal beam became more focused on the UK, the farther out of the focused beam the fainter the signal hence down in Spain people are using 1 - 2 metre dishes, where you got to last year with the 85cm will be the same. Bigger dish will be your answer if practicable and or worth it ?
Think of it like your headlamp beam,the further away from its focus the less chance you have of reading a paper. Your dish is the light/signal collecter. Bigger the dish generally the more light/signal you collect.
Also a more sensitive(better noise suppression) LNB would help and maybe eke out a few more degrees South !

Also it actually doesn't disappear below the horizon, going South it actually rises higher, the satellite doesn't move, you do,make sure you have the attitude ie the angle above the horizon adjustment correct (of course this is for manually pointed dishes) I found the attitude from Scotland to Southern Germany for example quite different.

And that is still a simple answer :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We've spent 3 weeks zig zagging France and hadn't any problems with TV reception. Once at Millau we know from earlier in the year it will start to deteriorate. We use an 85 cm dish but don't bother the Sky card rubbish. We're up in the Lot Gorges at the moment and reception is good as is our 3 mobile Internet and phone calls.

OP
OP
Hydrocell
Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Thank you all for you're comments, I will post my results on my travel's in the next few weeks, I will however be taking the two receivers too see which works the best.

Regards
Ray

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
you need a really BIG dish these days. many now hire if wintering somewhere in the south

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
We're now in Gunzenhausen slightly south East of Heildelberg and we have Sky news which is fine and a broken signal of BBC this evening but it's been good during the day.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
BBC 1 ITV 1,2,3,4 Channel 4 plus a few others available in Valence and Digne-les-Bain without any picture break up , we do have Autoskew which fine tunes the LNB

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back