Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
High Top
Exp
wheels that is :roflmto:

I have a Talbot Express 1.9 diesel on 14" wheels, would there be any benefits to changing to 16" wheels ???
Would it cruise better, better mpg, etc

Look forward to any advice :thumb:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
You could end up being too highly geared and your speedo would need recalibrating. Tyres would cost more as well. Lots of pain for little or no gain unless you are getting the wheels and tyres free. :Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
16" wheels would be absolutely fine if you fit ultra low profile tyres.........maybe a '40' profile or less.

very little difference in fuel economy, gearing, speed as the tyre radius will be around the same as a 14"

the only problem you would encounter is finding low pro's to suit your vans weight rating.

you aint gonna find any though.:Doh:

if you fit standard 16" tyres you will never get out of third gear:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
16" wheels would be absolutely fine if you fit ultra low profile tyres.........maybe a '40' profile or less.

very little difference in fuel economy, gearing, speed as the tyre radius will be around the same as a 14"

the only problem you would encounter is finding low pro's to suit your vans weight rating.

you aint gonna find any though.:Doh:

if you fit standard 16" tyres you will never get out of third gear:winky:

You say it soooo much better than I do! :winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bob

Free Member
Feb 10, 2008
ALDRIDGE WEST MIDS
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
SINCE 1992
Hymer on 15inch wheels

hithe
Would I encounter similair problems changing from 15 to 16 inch wheels
the problem with the hymer is the ground clearance the chasiss catchs speed bumps sharp inclines like when you come off forecourts ferry ramps we have even recently had the tailpipe off when rallying on a field which a nice RAC man replaced at the same time saying they would not attempt a recovery because of the insuffiecent ground clearence and they would not clear the recovery vehicle base. I know that some models which are the same as ours are fitted with 16 inch wheels but it might be something to do with the weight as they were 3850k and ours is 3500k. We been Quoted £1500 for new wheels and tyres But we can source for around £900 and between £1500 and £5000 for air suspension at the moment we are still thinking about it.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
hithe
Would I encounter similair problems changing from 15 to 16 inch wheels
the problem with the hymer is the ground clearance the chasiss catchs speed bumps sharp inclines like when you come off forecourts ferry ramps we have even recently had the tailpipe off when rallying on a field which a nice RAC man replaced at the same time saying they would not attempt a recovery because of the insuffiecent ground clearence and they would not clear the recovery vehicle base. I know that some models which are the same as ours are fitted with 16 inch wheels but it might be something to do with the weight as they were 3850k and ours is 3500k. We been Quoted £1500 for new wheels and tyres But we can source for around £900 and between £1500 and £5000 for air suspension at the moment we are still thinking about it.

You would gain an inch of clearance at the very best. £1.500 ? Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances! :Sad:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Plus tyres Pappa. Not being picky but the 1" is only the rim and with new tyres? A change of tyres on a truck can gain op to about 2 M.P.H. at 55. Sorry to be so pedantic, either way it ain't worth the money. :cry:

bigdubber

Free Member
May 12, 2008
wirral
Funster No
MH
a
Exp
i had 16" wheels running on my talbot merlin 2ltr petrol and it was fine cruising .it did slow down on the hills but it did that anyway on the 14" wheels.
my mpg was improved slightly and an increase of around 5 mph cruising speed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back