Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
Feeling a bit down again today as its my 1st day back in work on nights, the only thing that's been on my mind for the past couple of months is to pack in my job of 12 years and go traveling for a year.
I have copd, suffered 2 heart attacks and have type 2 diabetes another 10 years of working life left to do, all that keeps going through my mind is to do something before its to late,
anyone else feel like this or am I alone in this.

Alan

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Could you manage financially if you gave up your job? If you could, then why not? You should work to live, not live to work. I have been unable to find a job for about 3 months now, we have had to cut back on treats, but otherwise have managed somehow. I agree about wanting to do things before its too late, my hubby is younger than me, so I will be 72 by the time he eventually retires. I don't want to wait that long - who knows what their health will be like by then. If you can see a way of affording it, follow your dream.

froghopper43

Free Member
Jun 5, 2015
winchester
Funster No
MH
renault machzone high top
Exp
since 1998
I am just leaving hospital.had open heart surgery. Today we were setting off around Scotland for 3 months. I would be dead if had gone. But now when we go i will be fitter safer.. But going. Work out a plan. Sort things. Maybe rent short time.. We will have to wild camp. No frills. And only our pensions...but we are going..so should you.you need a liddle . Churchyard have taps. It don't need to be dear... Regards

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Do it I would say , sod the job , go and enjoy life whist you still can , we have a plan ourselves to go off on long trips ,, seen too many friends die prematurely ,

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We don't know each other and therefore this might come across as very blunt and rude but it certainly isn't meant to be. I think you need to be realistic. Your doctor can show you if they haven't already graphs which show effectively your life expectancy taking into account factors such as diabetes, blood pressure and bodyweight.

Have a good look at the graphs and work out what you want to do over the next ten years before you can retire with a pension. The graphs are just a statistical thing and you may well be the exception and I hope you are. You could also just ask the doctor "what are the odds of me still being alive in tens years time" and don't take any waffle as an answer, they will have a good idea. But if family commiments allow it and you can afford to get away and enjoy yourself then go for it.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We took a couple of years out of work to travel we both had good careers , we do summer jobs and travel in the winter now life is not all about work you have to enjoy life it is very short.

Hoping next year will be our last year we have to work in the summer as lynne can get her private pensions then we can travel all year round again without working :D.

Paul

OP
OP
froggy59

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
Thanks everyone, going to have a serious look at things..I now hate my job as it has changed from day work to nights, no mortgage to worry about and with an hgv licence i'm sure I could get work when we get back from a trip if it happens, the house could be rented out on a short term lease........going to start putting things down on paper

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Good for you (y)..........you never know what's around the corner.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Do the maths , we met several couples in France who were on the road indefinitely , they said it was cheaper than living at home .
Don't wish to sound rude or alarmist but you ( me or anyone else ) may not live another 10 days never mind 10 years .
Good luck with whatever you decide on (y)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I worked shifts for years and maintain that nights are for bats and twats! So, if i were you, i'd be off.......

Craig

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Also , studies have shown that working nights are bad for your health .

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Fair point , most people that have done some form of work during their lives end up dying ! , its a cruel world , make the most of it ! (y)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Fair point , most people that have done some form of work during their lives end up dying ! , its a cruel world , make the most of it ! (y)
As do all the people who have never worked, death is the only thing in life that is certain, it's when that we're not sure about.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We don't know each other and therefore this might come across as very blunt and rude but it certainly isn't meant to be. I think you need to be realistic. Your doctor can show you if they haven't already graphs which show effectively your life expectancy taking into account factors such as diabetes, blood pressure and bodyweight.

Have a good look at the graphs and work out what you want to do over the next ten years before you can retire with a pension. The graphs are just a statistical thing and you may well be the exception and I hope you are. You could also just ask the doctor "what are the odds of me still being alive in tens years time" and don't take any waffle as an answer, they will have a good idea. But if family commiments allow it and you can afford to get away and enjoy yourself then go for it.:)
Agree with all of the above - will add one more thing...
Your likely quality of life.
Again, not wanting to sound harsh, your health and ability to travel will probably deteriorate.
Sit down with the people who matter to you, work out what's best for you all. Perhaps take some financial advice ?
Today is the youngest (possibly fittest ?) you're going to be.
Health and time are the most precious thing we have - I don't think more work will give you either of these !

Hope you can make a good go of it (y)

Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Go for it Alan!....Dont mean to sound crude or offend but, If I was feeling the way you do, had 2 heart attacks and type 2 diabetes I'd be gone doing exactly what you say and trying to shag every last available female I could manage....you'll never lay on your death bed and wish you hadnt done it!;)

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Barrie put in for Voluntary Redundancy yesterday - the council need to lose 1000 jobs in the next 12 months, so he's pretty sure he'll get it.

He will be 55 in November so will be able to take his pension - not a lot but enough to be a cushion.

He's got every type of driving licence available so will take agency work for a couple of days a week and if he can't get work, he'll stand on a street corner and busk.

Life will be different but I doubt we'll starve :)

I hope you enjoy your freedom from the daily grind, too :)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I'm looking at doing g contract work, I have many strings to my bow and on average I receive 3 offers a week to do contract work ,wife has worked out that I only need to work 11 weeks a year to fund a new lifestyle , I'm hoping that will be the situation 18 months from now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back