Arrgh! Screwed up my iBoost! (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Never had a problem with the iBoost in the past but since we've been away on holiday this time we've not been able to connect to any Fons. The iBoost sees the hotspots but we get zero Tx/Rx rates. Having fiddled with far more than we probably should have, we thought that we had nothing to lose by pressing the reset button on the back of the router. Big mistake!
Now we can't log in via 10.20.30.40 or even to the admin pages on 10.20.20.10. We CAN still log in via 192.168.0.1 to the admin pages but I'm lost as to how to get things back to how they were.

Can anyone help? Motorhomewifi telephone answering machine says that they're off getting married which seems a poor excuse for not sorting my problem out today. ;-)

Tim

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
This thread has frightened the life out of me.:(
I now realise that in today's tech world I am lost. It's in a foreign language to me. I am guessing it all refers to getting a signal to be online.
When we get a motorhome I am going to need one heck of a lot of help from here. I'm fine on the whole living/driving part but keeping in touch will be very important and there I am a numpty.:unsure:
My highly tech cool son will not be available if we are away so I will need simple and reliable once fitted.;)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If you have saved your original config file, you could reload that. If you did not do that when you first had it working satisfactorily then do so when you get it resolved. Gromett has offered his to help if you do not have a saved version, take it and give up floundering.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
This thread has frightened the life out of me.:(
I now realise that in today's tech world I am lost. It's in a foreign language to me. I am guessing it all refers to getting a signal to be online.
When we get a motorhome I am going to need one heck of a lot of help from here. I'm fine on the whole living/driving part but keeping in touch will be very important and there I am a numpty.:unsure:
My highly tech cool son will not be available if we are away so I will need simple and reliable once fitted.;)

Why do you need to be connected while on holiday.....a 3 sim, decent phone, and occasional wifi does it for most people.

No real need to delve into the world of tech for most....certainly not worth getting anxious about!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Interesting thread as the owner of an Iboost watching with interest having read in the instructions reset mut not be pressed, need to cover it methinks to save accidental reset!

Config File what is the easiest method of saving a copy for us numpties

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why do you need to be connected while on holiday.....a 3 sim, decent phone, and occasional wifi does it for most people.

No real need to delve into the world of tech for most....
I was going to post the same , but there are some on here dedicated to this sort of tech stuff, so didn't want to stir for once:whistle: but yes never found the need either I have O2 in my phone with unlimited data and Julie has three feel at home in hers and between us useually get a connection(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I was going to post the same , but there are some on here dedicated to this sort of tech stuff, so didn't want to stir for once:whistle: but yes never found the need either I have O2 in my phone with unlimited data and Julie has three feel at home in hers and between us useually get a connection(y)

Its just how some get drawn in and spend bundles on kit, (with all the angst that goes with it:)) when a cheap SIM will get you a 3 or 4 G connection on the move...

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
When sorted disable the reset button in the menus to stop this. As you have learnt it resets everything including the image for the iboost ( not the router )

Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp

Once we get our vehicle we will be retired and base our travels from our French house but we are planning to be away from bricks and mortar for several weeks at a time. But we presently keep in touch with two sons and three grandkids by Skype or something similar which is a very cheap way of contact.
Internet connection would be very handy for a host of reasons.

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you haven't sorted it by later today. PM me and I will send you my config file.

Many thanks! Can it be uploaded via a wifi connection to the router? Don't have a laptop, just an iPad so no cable connections.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Once we get our vehicle we will be retired and base our travels from our French house but we are planning to be away from bricks and mortar for several weeks at a time. But we presently keep in touch with two sons and three grandkids by Skype or something similar which is a very cheap way of contact.
Internet connection would be very handy for a host of reasons.

you can do all that with a SIM in a tablet....

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have been to France , four or five weeks at a time numerous times, and never been without a usable data signal either on the phones or free wifi at bars and tourist information places and loads of others , but only managed to connect to fon for a minute in three years, give up on it now.

Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Well chaser and Judgemental it is very kind of you to offer your opinions.

I don't have an iphone or tablet just my laptop and an old mobile so you can see what an ignorant guy I am as far as today's wonderful technology is concerned. Have no idea what fon is or even 3 or 4g. If pushed I can find wifi at cafes etc.

However, we do have a close relationship with our family and keep in touch on a very regular basis whether on holiday or elsewhere. That may not be your scene but I would not intimate that it is something you should or should not do. We live our lives to suit us not others.

When the time comes I'll do some investigations for the simplest way to keep in touch but it will be a while yet and no doubt technology will have moved on further.

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
Now I know many of you on here are not Facebook users, but I find it invaluable while we're away in the van. I post a piccie and a comment every day and everyone knows we're OK. Always got the phone in an emergency!!

OP
OP
timdownieuk
Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
No..Its a misspelling..... Judge Mental actually:rolleyes:

whats wrong with suggesting an alternative easier and less technically challenging way of getting internet exactly.

Nothing, but this isn't an either/or situation. To say that a tablet with a sim card is the equivalent of a mobile wifi connection just isn't true. It's horses for courses.

Tim

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have sent the file via pm. Please note I have no idea if this will work or whether it is the right thing to do. I suspect if you have the same model as me it will give you a working setup but you will need to be careful with it to set the password before uploading.

I would reccomend downloading your settings and taking the password from within that and copying it across. The .cfg file is plain text so it will load in a text editor.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi @timdownieuk Have You Any Idea Now As To Why The FON Log In Didn't Come Up. .
Last night I was logged into FON on my phone while out and about..
Got back to van and set up I boost.. Some cracking FON networks shown as been available...everything worked as it should re set up but the FON log in page would not come up...
Tried both phone and laptop... same problem on both...no FON log in loading when you tried to go on line..
Trx rates were showing and good..
Any ideas appreciated...
Ta Andy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Its just how some get drawn in and spend bundles on kit, (with all the angst that goes with it:)) when a cheap SIM will get you a 3 or 4 G connection on the move...

Because 3g or 4g isn't a replacement for genuine WiFi in terms of speed or bandwidth.

I take your point if all you want to do is check Fun and Facebook but there are plenty of things that a mobile data connection isn't suitable for.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Because 3g or 4g isn't a replacement for genuine WiFi in terms of speed or bandwidth.

I take your point if all you want to do is check Fun and Facebook but there are plenty of things that a mobile data connection isn't suitable for.

I have a router and WiFi aerial as well.
I was only answering the two members who wanted to keep in touch, carry out basic stuff when touring, browse, email, chat on skype etc.... All can be done on a phone or tablet with a roaming SIM without getting boged down in tech and having the sorts of frustrating problems i have had (and the OP on this thtead:)) experienced....[/QUOTE]

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You need to be sure of your data allowance before using Skype very much on 3g/4g. It's a data muncher.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You need to be sure of your data allowance before using Skype very much on 3g/4g. It's a data muncher.

Well best to do that sort of thing a lot when you have free wifi. I kept in contact with my son (backpacking round south america) and my daughter in the states. Plus friends in family in the UK on our tour down to italy this summer. And only used 1 GB Of my 4 GB limit (my wife another story:() only place 3 sim did not work for free was Germany....

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have a router and WiFi aerial as well.
I was only answering the two members who wanted to keep in touch, carry out basic stuff when touring, browse, email, chat on skype etc.... All can be done on a phone or tablet with a roaming SIM without getting boged down in tech and having the sorts of frustrating problems i have had (and the OP on this thtead:)) experienced....
[/QUOTE]
I have my own assembled Ubiquiti AP connected to my own sourced router through a selector switch enabling a choice of WiFi or Sat internet from the Oyster throughout the MH. The AP is connected to a high gain antenna mounted on a motorised lifting mechanism. I am not a techy but have over the years been gaining the skills to build and install my own system, and therefore have a broader understanding of my system, its settings and operation. iBoost and other packages supply a complete ready made solution which are particularly useful for those with limited knowledge. Of course the problem arises once they stray into making their own "adjustments". Judgemental is right mobile data does give a more stable and simple option for those with limited skills and a limited data requirement. Maybe at a possible greater running cost, but less stress when on holiday?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have my own assembled Ubiquiti AP connected to my own sourced router through a selector switch enabling a choice of WiFi or Sat internet from the Oyster throughout the MH. The AP is connected to a high gain antenna mounted on a motorised lifting mechanism. I am not a techy but have over the years been gaining the skills to build and install my own system, and therefore have a broader understanding of my system, its settings and operation. iBoost and other packages supply a complete ready made solution which are particularly useful for those with limited knowledge. Of course the problem arises once they stray into making their own "adjustments". Judgemental is right mobile data does give a more stable and simple option for those with limited skills and a limited data requirement. Maybe at a possible greater running cost, but less stress when on holiday?[/QUOTE]

50p a day and that includes phone calls but really nothing as its within my monthly phond data pckage anyway psid £3 extra that month for local calls:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
only place 3 sim did not work for free was Germany....

That's strange. I have a 3 PAYG sim in a MiFi. It worked in Germany although I don't think we ever got 3G. It was always slower.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back