how can an online application not be 24/7? (1 Viewer)

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
Bought a new MH yesterday and ours is being taken in part ex. It has a private number plate but the dealer said you can now apply online to put it on retention - fantastic, a lot easier than it used to be then. Sits down with my cuppa and all relevant documentation, goes onto gov uk website and starts the application, only to get the following message :

Service Unavailable

This service is only available Monday to Saturday 08:00 to 18:00.

wtf!!! i thought online was online and therefore automated and therefore convenient and therefore 24/7. I obviously thought wrong!

Are my expectations just too high??

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
wtf!!! i thought online was online and therefore automated and therefore convenient and therefore 24/7. I obviously thought wrong!

Are my expectations just too high??
Yes, as many people do you're confusing on-line with real time. On-line only means that information can be exchanged via the Internet, not that the process executes immediately. It's just the same as ordering something on-line, it does not mean that the order is dealt with immediately by the supplier.

OP
OP
Hel999
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2013
Yes, as many people do you're confusing on-line with real time. On-line only means that information can be exchanged via the Internet, not that the process executes immediately. It's just the same as ordering something on-line, it does not mean that the order is dealt with immediately by the supplier.
I get that and didnt expect it to execute the application in real time but i did think i would be able to submit it (as i would an online shop order).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I get that and didnt expect it to execute the application in real time but i did think i would be able to submit it (as i would an online shop order).
This is a bit of a guess but as the submission involves a unique number plate then perhaps there are checks necessary which can only be made when staff are available, so as not to mislead if more than one person applies for the same thing at one time.
On-line shops which have integral stock control are able to refuse orders once stocks are exhausted but there are a number which advertise items as available, take the order and then make contact some time later saying that there will be a wait of X weeks/months for new stocks to arrive - which is, obviously, frustrating.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Put mine on retention last week, done instantly on line, in the hours quoted, no probs, got the paperwork 2 days later.
Cheers, Dave(y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Wait until you try to put it on a 'new' vehicle.

I think it would be alright on a new, 'new' one but I tried to put a number, (on retention, owned by me) onto a 'new to me' second hand car.
Here's the thing. That morning, the dealer had gone to the Post Office and Taxed it for me, prior to sale. When he did that and at the same time telling DVLA by default that I was the 'new' owner, the V5C that was for that vehicle was cancelled.
That in turn meant that later that morning, when I attempted to swop the number using the 16 digit number from the V5C, the computer at DVLA wouldn't accept it.
I will have to wait for them at Leekyland to send me a V5C with my name on it before I can do the deed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hel999
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2013
Well it came to 0800 yesterday morning and I once again got myself settled with a cuppa and all the required documents while hubby did the last min checks on the van as we had already postponed the holiday by a few days to sort things out. Got past page 1 this time and started the application, keying in the V5 ref number etc. next page came up- ' sorry this application cannot proceed online, please print off a retention form and post it'

Came to print it off - darling daughter has run us out of paper and replaced it with green paper. Can't see dvla accepting a green from so drive to post office (main one in town) to get a form - Sorry, don't do them any more! I asked if she could print me one, but no, apparently I would need to go to a library and do it. Argghhh!

Ended up going in to work and borrowing a colleagues computer to print one off. Talk about making life easy.......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back