COORDINATE CONVERTER (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Advise please, My Sat Nav is degrees minutes and secs, almost all European locations are in decimal.
Is there a reliable download, for converting, I have tried several without much success.
Martin

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Advise please, My Sat Nav is degrees minutes and secs, almost all European locations are in decimal.
Is there a reliable download, for converting, I have tried several without much success.
Martin
What sat nav do you have? Most can be set to do either method.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Martin

There are a couple of decent ones around. If you have an iPhone or iPad I use this one which works well:

Broken Link Removed

The free version just supports digital degrees and degrees/digital minutes but if you buy the full version for a whole 79p then it does DMS which is what you need, as well as a couple of other methods.

There are lots of places online that will do it for you but obviously they are of limited use when you're travelling

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We've got both Tom Tom and Garmin satnavs and you can change the format on both. First time I looked on the Garmin, I couldn't find it but a bit of digging around told me how. Google for 'coordinate' for your make and model.

OP
OP
M
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Thanks for all the help, I actually have Snooper into which I have inserted the 'Camper Chip' . It was originally the Truck Edition. I will have a go at the settings. and also the phone apps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I have formulated a converter in Excel which I have then turned into to a PDF document of six pages which could be printed off onto 3 pages of A4 (printed both sides) if required.
Looks complicated but fairly simple really. Find the page containing the correct minutes across in green, then the correct minutes down in red and where they cross that is the decimal. The degrees obviously stay the same.
EG. 6° 21' 44" look on page 5 for 44 in green across the top, follow the column down to 22 on the left in red and read off the number ie 0.378890 so the decimal degrees is 6.378890

Attachments

• Coordinates conversion.pdf
    238.4 KB · Views: 15
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I'm sure I've entered the decimal into my Tom Tom and it worked fine. Have you tried entering it into your sat nav?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
This is timely! I've just bought a 79p coordinates converter for my iPhone 5. I have a Navman SatNag and it doesn't (to my knowledge) have the option for decimal degrees. This was a pain recently, because the All the Aires book is in decimal (n). Why they can't use good ol' fashioned degrees and minutes I don't know!

Don't normally use many Aires, but decided to bash them this year and as my CoPilot ( which does take other formats) gave up the ghost, I had to revert to the NavMan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back